Strange uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Strange uneven tire wear

Got a stock 07 G35 coupe with 19" rays, fully loaded, that I bought CPO last year.

Noticed that all 4 tires are wearing faster at the outer half. Normally I'd expect the opposite due to the stock negative camber. Did the sport suspension upgrade have an effect on alignment?

Car drives perfectly straight, solid, and stable though. Thought I'd get some expert opinions before I committed $$ to an alignment.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wear on the outer of the tires is not normal at all, sport suspension or not. Alignments the first thing you should check.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
A small investment in an alignment can save a lot of money on tires. Make sure you always have the tire pressure set right (the correct pressure is on the driver's door jamb), including when you have it aligned. Find a good shop; too many just don't care. Get recommendations from autocrossers in your area.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, got an alignment done at the dealer today. Had them pricematch to the nissan dealers, which is like $40 less, go figure.

Definitely had a few numbers off with camber and toe all around. The camber for the right front is still off spec however... -1.3 vs -0.42 nominal.

If I remember correctly, i've heard there is no adjustment for front camber. Then how is it off spec from the factory? The sport pkg comes with 19" rims and different suspension setup right? Could the factory/dealer install been off? And if there's no adjustment... how can it be fixed?

Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct. Front camber is non-adjustable unless adjustable upper control arms are installed.

With that amount of slightly more negative front camber, you may get a the barest more inside tire wear on the front right tire. Since the readings are still within spec it likely won't be a big issue unless you notice a tire pull, which should be towards the side with less camber.

After both front radius arms and shocks were replaced on my 2003 coupe, the car was put back on the alignment rack and it showed camber readings -0.5 deg front left and -1.2 front right. While -1.2 is still in spec it translates into 0.7 degrees cross camber which means the barest pull to the left...

A client's reputable body restoration shop I use measured the distance from each front spindle axises to the rear center drive line and found a very slight difference between the left and right. I believe they stated there was 5mm greater distance to the RF axis.

Since I bought the car new, and it was never in a collision, that shop speculated the front right spindle may have the slightest bend caused by the same pot hole impact that bent the FR radius arm last summer.

After Easter I'm taking the car to a professional frame shop which claims they should be able to adjust the front subframe relative to the rear center of the driveline to get the front right camber closer to the -.5 deg. neg..

Last edited by athens; 08-24-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
^^Thanks for the info!

I bought the car CPO so I wasnt too worried about the little things at first.

So perhaps the previous owner just ran over a huge pothole on the right side? Which maybe caused a slight mechanical bend somewhere? Damn