If I am cutting my rotors, do I need to change my brake pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am cutting my rotors, do I need to change my brake pads?

Hey guys, I get a sort of pulsation when I brake. I figure I need to get the rotors cut. My pads still have a lot of life though and I was told if I cut the rotors, I should change the pads or th e pads will re-form the unevenness in the rotors and the pulsation will return. Is this true?

Alos, is there any downside to having this pulsation/uneven rotors or can I just keep driving with it? It's not obnoxiously noticeable, but you can definitely tell it's there. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 PM
yes its true on the pads, but our rotors are composite you cant cut composite rotors though. Im not a hundred percent sure though maybe some one else will chime in.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by G35 2007
yes its true on the pads, but our rotors are composite you cant cut composite rotors though. Im not a hundred percent sure though maybe some one else will chime in.
So either way, I should not cut the rotors since I won't be changing my brakes?

Also, if my rotors can't be cut, what do I do to get the pulsation to stop?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
if you do cut your rotors you should definitely change your brake pads. the problem is that if your brake pads are uneven they will groove into your fresh cut rotors and mess em up. u always wanna take care of both at the same time or else you are pretty much wasing ur time and money.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by bag35
if you do cut your rotors you should definitely change your brake pads. the problem is that if your brake pads are uneven they will groove into your fresh cut rotors and mess em up. u always wanna take care of both at the same time or else you are pretty much wasing ur time and money.
bah, oh well. I just changed my fronts like 2 months ago too... should have done it then. I guess I have like 30k miles to go before I can fix this pulsation then :P

Old 04-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
well it might be a lil shaking/pulsating for you but for the engine and everything else in the car its shaking pretty hard... so and if u got warped rotors most of the time itll shave the brakepads easily so u ight be better off fixin both right now.. i have the same problem and believe me the pulsating just gets worse and you dont want a lot of shaking in your car while driving/braking.. just shaking when its parked if you get my drift..

Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by thesaints21
well it might be a lil shaking/pulsating for you but for the engine and everything else in the car its shaking pretty hard... so and if u got warped rotors most of the time itll shave the brakepads easily so u ight be better off fixin both right now.. i have the same problem and believe me the pulsating just gets worse and you dont want a lot of shaking in your car while driving/braking.. just shaking when its parked if you get my drift..
Well it's really not THAT bad right now. I wonder if they can resurface the brakes too without losing much at all off the pad...

Old 04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I also wonder if they are supposed to check the surface of the rotor when they change the brakes...maybe I can go back to that place that changed my brakes like 2 months ago and request that they replace them with new pads because of that...also they have been squealing anyway since I got them.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
there you go the worse is theyll say no and you have to buy new pads.. i suggest hawk performance pads btw.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I guess I'll try it...but if they say no, I probably won't be able to afford to change it atm...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35 2007
...ummm NO

our rotors are not composite, they are most likely plain old ductile iron and most definitely can be machined, cut, turned, whatever you want to call it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
You might want to check you rotors and pads. If the surfaces are different material ie. a ceramic pad they may be eating down your rotors vice versa. This could cause for uneven wear and the pulsating.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by FrozenInferno
You might want to check you rotors and pads. If the surfaces are different material ie. a ceramic pad they may be eating down your rotors vice versa. This could cause for uneven wear and the pulsating.
How do I know if I have ceramic pads? The local Kost auto just put some pads on there...I didn't get details.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Dudefish is right. These are standard iron rotors. I just had mine cut and it worked out just fine. You can cut the rotors and keep the old pads. It's when you put new pads on that you want to scrub or cut the rotors. If your old pads didn't cut funny grooves into the rotor surface you should be fine.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 PM
I was told by the guys at Kost tire and auto that since I've only had my pads for ab it over 2000 miles, it wouldn't make a diff...comments?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If I am cutting my rotors, do I need to change my brake pads?