Bilstein HD Shocks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein HD Shocks?

I did a search on this forum, but not a lot of talk about the Bilstein HD shocks.

I notice that the Bilstein B6 uses the same shocks for both G35 and 350Z. Which shock dimension did they use? The 350Z or the G35 shock body and shaft lengh??

Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I believe Bilstein using the same shocks for both cars. I went to Bilstein website and found they both have the same part number.

I'm using Bilstein HD shocks on my car (oem setup - g35 2006/w sport suspension). I did a lot of research and decided to give it a try. It costs 2 time as much as blue tokico shocks and just a little more than OEM. I have to say it's very good. I changed my shocks around 38000 miles because everytime I went over bumps on a freeway I felt like the car just hit a big pot hole. I guess the OEM shocks didnt have much rebounce left. To give you an idea how the bilstein HD performes I'll give you a couple scenarios.

1. With OEM 19" wheels. 245/40/19 tires. I have to say it's smooth and very stable on nice freeway surface (tested over 100 mph). It can go over bumps on freeway very smoother. One thing I notice is you can feel the road imperfection quite a bit on this shocks. I believe it's not because the shocks aren't good, but because when you have low profile tires and with firm shocks will produce that effects. Again, not bad but just feels more.

2. With 17" wheels (winter tires) 225/55/17. The car is very very smooth on all the road surface doesnt matter good or bad. I have say with 17" wheels on the car is perfect. Nice and smooth, yet firm through curvy road.

One of the biggest reason I went with HD because I believe it will last longer and performs better than Tokico or OEM shocks (Just my opinion, I never had Tokico but I can say it's definitely better than OEM shocks. I have the car when it was only 10k miles. OEM shocks were still in good condition). So far I have it for more than a year and i'm still please with it. The biggest thing I found after 13k miles was the rebounce on the bilstein HD shocks still the same as day one, versus OEM shocks after 15k miles was quite harsh. I hope that helps.

Last edited by nguy0750; 01-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Nguy my man, thanks for the response! That is exactly what I need to know.

My G35 sedan with sport suspension has 65000 miles on it. Because I slow down on bumpy roads and avoid pot holes whenever possible, my shocks are still in very good shape. The car is not bouncy. The OEM sport shocks still feel very tight and firm. Damping is still very close to new, very similar to my friend's 06 coupe with only 20,000 miles.

However, like what you have experience, my shocks seem to have lost some rebound. It is not too bad, but I like the feel of having new shocks on my cars.

I am looking at the Bilstein HD mainly because they last longer than most shocks. I have Tokico Illuminas on my Maxima. They are okay, but Tokico engineers don't seem to like to increase rebound. I know that European shock companies lean towards increasing rebound more proporionately to damping, and so I would like to choose the Bilsteins for my G35. My Elise comes equiped stock with Bilstein HD's, and the ride is stiff, but not harsh. I like that feel. My G35 in stock form is not stiff, yet feels a little harsh over imperfections even compared to a pure sports car like the Elise.

The monotube design will very likely maintain good rebound throughout the life of the shocks. This is what attracts me to opt for the Bilstein HD. The major drawback of twintube is that when it wears out, it loses rebound first.

I hope my G35 sedan responds well to the HD's.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I just ordered B6 for all 4 corners of my sedan. Unfortunately, the fronts are unobtainium in the US right now, so they have to special order from Deutschland. I have over 120K miles on the stock (non-sport) shocks with 60K of that on Eibach Pro-Kit springs and the damn things still don't leak! I'm still yanking them and replacing with B6 when the Transgo kit goes in. Should be a transformed sedan when complete.