thumping noise from spl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thumping noise from spl

i have thumping noise coming from left compression arm after replacing the stock bushing to SPL. It only comes from the left side.
I remember being able to press the bushing by hand about 4/5 and use a press to push in the rest 1/5.
On the other hand, i had to use the press from the beginning to start pressing the bushing.
Is this normal?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bushing is not sitting tight enough, so the noise.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on the left, I noticed that there's a round rubber thing under the bushing where the bushing sit on. The rubber thing is attached to the brace.
iirc, the right one doesn't sit perfectly either..

Torqued to 110ft lbs

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same issue. I just installed the SPL compression rod bushings and I now have a clanking sound on the left front side as if something was loose. It is as if metal was hitting against metal. You can only hear it when you go over cracks or unleveled ground where the car would vibrate. Anyone solve this yet? My right side is fine, left side sounds horrible . Driving, and then a crack and *clunk* *Clunk* *CLUNCK*.... lol Any solutions yet. My SPL rods have the 4 rubber rings 2 on each side. Help? lol. I also have the whiteline inner control arm bushings, which are really good btw. Only after installing the SPL ones I get this noise... on the left side only... I also installed ichiba v2 20mm wheel spacers but I do not think that is going to be it.

Last edited by gat0713; 08-05-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I sold my SPL endlinks when I couldn't get them to stop popping, knocking, and basically making my car sound like a beater after I tried adjusting them more times than I can remember.

Seems to be a developing pattern with their bearings on this board at least.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I sold my SPL endlinks when I couldn't get them to stop popping, knocking, and basically making my car sound like a beater after I tried adjusting them more times than I can remember.

Seems to be a developing pattern with their bearings on this board at least.
I was refering to the actual compression arm bushings. hmm... You sold those? What compression arm bushings are recommended to be used? lol these bushings cost me almost $200 and was charged $70 for the worn OEM bushings to be poped out of the compression arms and the SPL ones installed...

Is there any way to solve this? Maybe placing some sort of rubber pad or cover between the bearing and the frame where the compression rod goes and in that way dampen the clunking...? Because if you check on the OEM bushings components, those go wrapped with some sort of rubber or silicon cover. Maybe that is what they use to dampen the sound...

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I don't think a cover is the answer. I live in Austin and have been to SPL here several times to discuss this noise issue. Any sort of cover could trap dirt and make the problem even worse. Kuah stands by his design and swears if the parts are installed correctly they should not make any noise. I tried white lithium grease, axle grease, WD 40, re-adjusting my end links multiple times and they still made my car sound like crap.

Whiteline and Energy Suspension make replacement bushings for us as well as a couple of other companies so at least we have a choice.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I don't think a cover is the answer. I live in Austin and have been to SPL here several times to discuss this noise issue. Any sort of cover could trap dirt and make the problem even worse. Kuah stands by his design and swears if the parts are installed correctly they should not make any noise. I tried white lithium grease, axle grease, WD 40, re-adjusting my end links multiple times and they still made my car sound like crap.

Whiteline and Energy Suspension make replacement bushings for us as well as a couple of other companies so at least we have a choice.
I am going to try and change my Tie rods. Apparently the inner left tie rod is worn out and might be causing the issue. Because the right side does not make any noise and the tie rod is fine. You guys might want to check into that as well.