Probably a stupid question but I need to ask...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Probably a stupid question but I need to ask...

I just finished adjusting my coilovers and am very happy with the look of the car but I have almost certainly over-lowered the front (over-lowered as in potentially losing performance, but damn it looks good...). The rear is fine, no problems and also looks very good, but the front is rubbing like a mother...

I've got the front passenger wheel off at the moment and I'm looking at my dirty car with very visible clean areas that are mostly on the plastic fender liner. I've got one significant rub mark on the metal of the fender behind the wheel at about the 11 o'clock position but I think I can work with that and will probably be fine after a little work and an alignment.

My question is this: Since most of the rubbing is happening with the plastic inner fender well/fender liner, whatever you want to call it/it's called, what, if any, are the consequences of removing the plastic? Is this a common problem that I can mostly resolve by removing the plastic and will there be any adverse effects of doing so?

I hate to ask dumb questions but I've been reading a lot and get more lost the more I read. I'm doing all the work myself because I enjoy it and hate paying for things that I can mostly figure out on my own, but at this point, when it comes to fine tuning, I don't want to start taking too much apart and get myself in a bind I can't fix.

Bottom line: Can I take out the plastic in the front fender-well to reduce rubbing without any adverse effects? I have no clue why it's there to begin with, but I imagine there is a reason or it wouldn't be.

Thanks for any help

Old 03-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
The fender liner? Are you sure you are just hitting all of it in general? People usually only have problems with it hitting the bumper mounting screw location

Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
well if u have ever taken that off it exposes the backside of ur headlights and im sure other components...i wouldnt want my headlights gettin shot with rocks/mud/dirt/water etc..keep it on and raise the car up a 1/4 inch

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
I'm looking at the rubbing marks on the fender liner and while I"m not hitting all of it, there are definitely rub marks on the plastic. I'm starting to think it might be easier to notch out a couple points that are rubbing rather than removing the whole thing so I can protect what is behind it. I can't believe that I'm the only one who's had this problem though, I'm wondering what other folks have done to alleviate their problem. I don't want to raise the car, even a quarter inch, because I'm very happy with it's stance at the moment, so if I can avoid changing that I'll be happy.

All that being said, I'm not nearly as low as many other folks here and am looking for the input of people who have maxed out the low on their coilovers. I'm on BC coils and am not near as low as I could be, at one point for giggles I did have it too low to turn the streering wheel, at the moment it's drivable, I just want to fix the rubbing.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I am having the same issue!! Its driving me nuts, not to mention cutting the sheit out of my passenger side tire. The rubbing is only bad on my passenger side as well.
How do you modify the bumper mounting location??
I need help asap!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pics of set up?