Help !! New rotors & pads, bedding question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help !! New rotors & pads, bedding question

Greetings everyone,

I installed Hawk HPS paired with DBA 4000's this evening. I followed the instructions for bedding the pads in properly but i unknowingly did slow stops from 60 instead of hard stops (as recommended on the box)... plus after the last step i had to drive through traffic to come to a stop and let it rest so did some VERY slow braking for about 3-4 stops before parking it to cool down...

Now i do see a thin layer (looks almost like scratches) developing on the rotor. Does that mean bedding has been done correctly? I am going absolute easy on the brakes for the first few kms.

Should i go for another bedding session and do it right this time? I have read in a few threads that repeating this procedure is safe and it basically removes the previous film and forms a new one (especially in a case like mine where everything is still quite fresh and not cemented).

I so don't wanna wreck these expensive rotors and have judder issues

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you want me to post pics so that you can tell if the film is on or not

Cheers !!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like you'll be ok. They're made to run right out of the box, but it doesn't hurt to do a few light to moderately hard stops from 40mph. It will take about 1,000mi or so to reach the full potential of the brakes according to some sources. Always of course inspect your brake system periodically especially when removing the wheels.

One time I experienced "judder" and went crazy looking too deeply into it. The remedy was simply to reassemble the brakes on the bothersome axle and make sure everything is greased up properly. Cheers.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VQdriver
Sounds like you'll be ok. They're made to run right out of the box, but it doesn't hurt to do a few light to moderately hard stops from 40mph. It will take about 1,000mi or so to reach the full potential of the brakes according to some sources. Always of course inspect your brake system periodically especially when removing the wheels.

One time I experienced "judder" and went crazy looking too deeply into it. The remedy was simply to reassemble the brakes on the bothersome axle and make sure everything is greased up properly. Cheers.
thanks for the input man ...
If i get a problem ... will a repeat of the bedding procedure be of any help?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I suppose it couldn't hurt to try to re-bed. Since you have new pads and a new rotor surface you should be ok. The surfaces will match each other over time. Just be easy on the brakes for a couple tanks if possible. The braking should only improve.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you bed the brakes, its very important that you dont touch the brakes until you have driven around for about 5 minutes. Now, be safe and use your best judgement, but if the rotors are hot due to the required temp to allow pad material transfer and you touch the brakes, it will apply a "stamp" of pad material on the rotor, which is not what you want. You want a smooth film of pad material on the rotor.