Coilovers Vs. Springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
For 1k I'd go with stance coiliovers. But you can save money going with a spring/shock combo. You can go with tokico blue shocks or go with their adjustable dampening ones. Basically it acts like a coilover system without the height adjustment since the height is fixed but you can adjust the stiffness or softness of the ride and pair it up with whatever spring you like depending on the height and spring rate you want to achieve. Swift can always make you a spring to your needs.

Most of the coilovers under 1k are merely decent IMO. Don't go cheap, like MDU's. I have them for my fronts and only reason is to get really low. My stock shocks with Espelir springs are better at the same ride height. I'd recommend Tein, HKS, Stance, and possibly even BC's. In your price range that is. Although finding the HKS new in that price range is unlikely.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
For 1k I'd go with stance coiliovers. But you can save money going with a spring/shock combo. You can go with tokico blue shocks or go with their adjustable dampening ones. Basically it acts like a coilover system without the height adjustment since the height is fixed but you can adjust the stiffness or softness of the ride and pair it up with whatever spring you like depending on the height and spring rate you want to achieve. Swift can always make you a spring to your needs.

Most of the coilovers under 1k are merely decent IMO. Don't go cheap, like MDU's. I have them for my fronts and only reason is to get really low. My stock shocks with Espelir springs are better at the same ride height. I'd recommend Tein, HKS, Stance, and possibly even BC's. In your price range that is. Although finding the HKS new in that price range is unlikely.
If you are lowering your car, because of the difference in the different spring rates available depending on which springs you opt to go with, I would never suggest Blues. At the least, you would want adjustable struts so you can tune them in to match the springs. Otherwise, you will be stuck with either a bumpy (too stiff) or bouncy (too soft) ride, and neither are comfortable nor will either perform as well.

One reason I do not like most coilovers - because a lot of them are made in Taiwan. It's not that the quality is bad, it's just that a lot of them including Tein are made in the same factory (BC). So most of the "These coils are better than those" arguments are truly laughable because they are all OEMs.

Last edited by dofu; 06-12-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like everybody here says for the most part it just depends on your personal preference and what you plan on doing with your car. If you just plan on just lowering the car and not really testing it to its limit that just stick to something simple and get some springs/strut combo. But me personally i had both and i prefer coils over springs, but like dofu said it really comes down to how much you are willing to spend

Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
How about this:

- DD, so not looking to go too low or drive too aggressively. No track.
- Price limit 1k, but lower the better.

Also, couple extra questions. What parts do the coil overs replace, Shocks/Spring/Struts? On some used ones I see that they need to be rebuilt. What's the price per coil over and the avg time/or mileage before it needs a rebuild?
Hmm...

To be honest, most entry level coilover systems would probably be relatively comparable in terms of their quality at that point, and some are probably manufactured in the same facility. You'll have to spend more than that to get a "competitive" set of coilovers that most would consider respectable (AST, Ohlins, Penske, etc.). That's not to say that the $1,000 coilovers won't suit most peoples needs though.

A good solid spring/shock combo can be comfortable and perform pretty well, but of course you lose the adjustability. Having the ability to change your ride height is pretty convenient on the other hand. Given current shock technology, I'm pretty confident that most people would be satisfied with the ride quality and performance with entry level coilovers.

As for rebuilds, it will really vary by what's wrong with them. Most likely it's probably old shock oil and seals that need to be changed out. Just like your car, your shocks need new oil, seals, etc. after a while. Time between rebuilds varies by brand, and most cheaper coilover options probably would be cheaper to purchase a new shock insert to be honest.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Like everyone has stated above, it's all personal prefence. To me springs were only temporary. I bought my BC Racing coilovers in january and they have been the best modd I have ever done to my car:

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
^^^ I like the look of the 370z wheels on there!! Well done

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MN-G-Fever
^^^ I like the look of the 370z wheels on there!! Well done
Thanks bro

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Hmm...

To be honest, most entry level coilover systems would probably be relatively comparable in terms of their quality at that point, and some are probably manufactured in the same facility. You'll have to spend more than that to get a "competitive" set of coilovers that most would consider respectable (AST, Ohlins, Penske, etc.). That's not to say that the $1,000 coilovers won't suit most peoples needs though.

A good solid spring/shock combo can be comfortable and perform pretty well, but of course you lose the adjustability. Having the ability to change your ride height is pretty convenient on the other hand. Given current shock technology, I'm pretty confident that most people would be satisfied with the ride quality and performance with entry level coilovers.

As for rebuilds, it will really vary by what's wrong with them. Most likely it's probably old shock oil and seals that need to be changed out. Just like your car, your shocks need new oil, seals, etc. after a while. Time between rebuilds varies by brand, and most cheaper coilover options probably would be cheaper to purchase a new shock insert to be honest.
Thanks for the response bro!

Bit of a tough decision trying to decide between Tein Basics with 7k on them for 500, or used springs/tochikos with 5k for 575. Hmmmm.

Btw, I really like the wheels you guys offer, but that's a bit later down the road for me but I really like the way the ones look in the ad that you guys have here on driver.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
a lot of bros up in here

Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Thanks for the response bro!

Bit of a tough decision trying to decide between Tein Basics with 7k on them for 500, or used springs/tochikos with 5k for 575. Hmmmm.

Btw, I really like the wheels you guys offer, but that's a bit later down the road for me but I really like the way the ones look in the ad that you guys have here on driver.
I've had Tein SS coilovers in the past (basically the same thing as Basics) and I liked them for a street setup. They won't drop your car the lowest and aren't the stiffest, but for a moderate drop and comfortable ride they were quite nice. Mine lasted a long time too.

Thanks for the compliments on the wheels as well. I'll be happy to set you up with some when the time is right!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I'm not a fan of Tein and feel they are just a money making machine that is over-rated and over-pried and are not properly matched tot he weight of any car except the older Hondas and don't perform well at all, but I won't rant on about that here.

BUT - never buy coils where you can't adjust the struts, especially if you can adjust the ride height. If there is anything you want for performance and comfort, it's the adjustable struts. It's going to be better to be able to adjust bound and rebound separately, but those are too expensive to be practical, so just look for something adjustable at the least.

There are few suspensions I would buy that don't have adjustable struts, and most of these coils under 3k are not on that list (yea, I know Tein Basics are one of the only coils under 3k that don't offer adjustable struts). IMO, if someone offers Basics as an option, don't buy from them - they either don't know what they are talking about or they just want your money.

Last edited by dofu; 06-13-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
I think the question you have to ask yourself is just how low do you truly want to go? Or can you go? Springs worked perfectly for me because I couldn't possibly go any lower and still be able to drive around town, up curbs, over speed bumps, etc without dragging a$$. I have a daily driver, and being able to actually "drive" it is way more important to me than the bragging rights of saying I'm "slammed". I have no need to adjust my ride height, not to mention it's a PITA to do with an adjustable coilover anyways. I will never run my car at an auto-X event....so as long as it rides about the same as OEM and fills up that gap, I'm happy. I think that's what you really have to ask yourself.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mycoolg
Like everyone has stated above, it's all personal prefence. To me springs were only temporary. I bought my BC Racing coilovers in january and they have been the best modd I have ever done to my car:

I love the way that looks. That is what I am going for. I am not really to worried about the price I have been saving for a while. But the only thing I am just worried about is the ride. Like I said before there are alot of slammed hondas running around nashville and I dont want my car to ride like theirs. But all the pics of the lowered ones I am in love with. Thats the look that I want I just dont know what to do

Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Everyone who is posting..... I am new to this whole working on cars. I can do suvs but cars is a different story. Keep posting and putting pictures and if I decide what I am going to do then I will post before and after!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
I'm not a fan of Tein and feel they are just a money making machine that is over-rated and over-pried and are not properly matched tot he weight of any car except the older Hondas and don't perform well at all, but I won't rant on about that here.

BUT - never buy coils where you can't adjust the struts, especially if you can adjust the ride height. If there is anything you want for performance and comfort, it's the adjustable struts. It's going to be better to be able to adjust bound and rebound separately, but those are too expensive to be practical, so just look for something adjustable at the least.

There are few suspensions I would buy that don't have adjustable struts, and most of these coils under 3k are not on that list (yea, I know Tein Basics are one of the only coils under 3k that don't offer adjustable struts). IMO, if someone offers Basics as an option, don't buy from them - they either don't know what they are talking about or they just want your money.
Sorry for being so newbie but struts are included in a coil over set-up right? It's struts/springs/shocks?

Can you give me a recommendation Dofu? Right now I'm leaning towards the new Tein Basis and you seem to be the only one really against them. I just want to make the right choice and hear your opinion on what can be done with these requirements:

I want:
- Better handling, from what I understand this is one of the main advantages of coils
- Drop of 1"
- Durable, but my roads are smooth for the most part
- $900 or under
- Comfortable Ride. Doesn't have to be perfect, most people are saying Tein is comfy and I'm fine with that.
- No front camber kit. Definitely getting rear.

If it matter it's an 06 6MT coupe, 60k on OEM suspension.

Basically, I want to spend $900 + Rear camber and be done with my suspension for a year or two or three. Thanks Dofu!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coilovers Vs. Springs?