Brakes/Rotors Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes/Rotors Question

I am halfway through a 60k service on my 2004 g35 coupe on my own thanks to this forum. My next step are the brakes and rotors since my car has not been stopping as well as it used to when I bought it 20k miles ago. My rotors don't cause my steering to vibrate when I come to a stop so I know they are not warped; however, should I be worried about the thickness of the rotors? I was planning on sticking with OEM pads if I can still use these rotors and just resurface them. Should I just take everything out and get all new centric premium rotors and stoptech pads? I really don't want to have any issues with squealing or vibration if I don't stick with OEM. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I did the same exact thing by cutting the rotors, that being said they didn't hold up long for me (guess I got a heavy foot) I would just shell out the extra cash for new ones. But that's just my opinion!

I have stop tech slotted and I love them.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
you can measure the rotor thickness and long as it within spec thickness you can resurface them. If your doing it yourself I would just buy new ones, the cost isn't really that huge if your DIY and you have piece of mind. Plus since you bought the car used, you dont know how the other guy treated the car and how he drove it or if he properly broke in the brakes correctly.

My general rule when buying used cars, is try to reset everything back to zero whenever possible since you dont know if the guy before you was a idiot or not.

Thats why i always change out the spark plugs, oil, tranny fluid, battery and diff fluid whenever i buy a used car.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I will just buy new rotors and brake pads for piece of mind like you said. Plus, my rotors are rusted at the center so it gives me another reason to change them. I am going to go with a set of rotors and brake pads from KNSbrakes.com. I don't track my G and don't need excessive stopping power. Would it be ok to go with the centric premium rotors with stoptech street performance pads? Should I shell out the extra cash for the DBA rotors or Hawk HPS pads? I do really like the look of drilled and slotted rotors but I am afraid of the rotors cracking or the pads wearing down quickly. Also, with aftermarket brake pads, will I need to reuse my old shims or are they built into the new brake pads? Thanks.