Squeak after G35 strut replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Squeak after G35 strut replacement

Hi all,

I recently had the front struts replaced on my 2003 G35 sedan (is that a classic yet? ). The mechanic installed new KYB shocks and strut mounts, but used the old springs. As soon as this was done, I noticed an intermittent squeak from the front, only while moving. After much futzing (I was there for some of it), the mechanic found that if he moved the top of the shock around in the mount, it made the noise become less when be bounced the front end up and down. It's coming from both sides, but before he realized that, he had replaced the shock and mount on one side - and the noise is still coming from both sides. So, out of 3 new struts/mounts, at least 2 of them squeak.

He sprayed a bunch of lubricant all over the place, including into the mount, and now the noise while driving is worse. It's almost like there are positions within the mount where it squeaks and positions where it doesn't (explains the intermittency), and now that it's lubricated in there, it gets into the "squeak position" more often.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

It's very strange that brand new parts would produce this squeaking. I looked in the Infiniti service manual for any special installation instructions that maybe the mechanic might have missed, but it seems very straightforward. I guess the next step is to install a different brand of strut and/or mount, but I'm curious whether the experts around here have heard of this problem before.

(I've also considered the possibility that it might not be the struts/suspension, but it certainly seems like the squeak is coming from the vicinity of the strut mounts - and by swaying the car from side to side, you can hear two distinct out-of-phase squeaks, one on the left and one on the right.)

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
BTW,

I installed the KYB strut mounts as well and the noise is driving me crazy..

Lubricating it with spray only makes it worst. I used white grease and had no noise for a couple of days.

We may need to go back to the OEM strut mounts.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:27 PM
It looks like KYB struts mounts were the problem in my case. After replacing the struts and mounts once or twice with KYBs (with no change in squeakiness), my mechanic finally got Monroe mounts (but KYB struts) and now it's back to being whisper quiet.

For some reason, my mechanic was resistant to using OEM parts (probably because of the expense). I'm not terribly thrilled with the road feel - the ride seem harder than it used to be, with the slightest bump being more noticeable than before. But the car handles just as well, at least.

Last edited by snic09; 09-18-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks for the updated.

Ordered Monroe mounts today. OEM are $20 more each.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I've got (probably) the same problem. KYB struts and mounts, pretty bad squeak from the strut mount, but seems to only be on the passenger side. I pull the strut last weekend, and re-greased the mount. That bought me a couple of days of squeak-free driving, but it's back now. I didn't see any evidence of metal-on-metal rubbing when it was pulled.

It'll squeak if I'm stopped and just bounce the car a little at the passenger side too, and the squeak definitely doesn't change based on vehicle speed. Making a turn seems to prevent it though.

I'll look up monroe mounts, and report back.

Update: So monroe mounts are the same price, so I'll use those when I do the suspension work on my wife's, but (knock on wood) the squeaking with my KYB mounts has subsided, at least for now.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 03-05-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 AM
04g352wdsedan

I also replaced my front struts and mounts and have a squeak when driving but not turning. I used kyb struts and mounts and even replaced 1 of the mounts with another kyb as I thought it was bad since it squeaked. I have been trying to narrow this down as I replaced he sway bar links and bushings at the same time. I will try the Monroe strut mounts as well since they are cheaper than Orem. Cheapest OEM I have found are 49 each.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM
My strut mount on passenger side did the same after replacement. I took the nut off the strut and placed a felt disc in between the washer and strut mount, no more squeak.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I've got (probably) the same problem. KYB struts and mounts, pretty bad squeak from the strut mount, but seems to only be on the passenger side. I pull the strut last weekend, and re-greased the mount. That bought me a couple of days of squeak-free driving, but it's back now. I didn't see any evidence of metal-on-metal rubbing when it was pulled.

It'll squeak if I'm stopped and just bounce the car a little at the passenger side too, and the squeak definitely doesn't change based on vehicle speed. Making a turn seems to prevent it though.

I'll look up monroe mounts, and report back.

Update: So monroe mounts are the same price, so I'll use those when I do the suspension work on my wife's, but (knock on wood) the squeaking with my KYB mounts has subsided, at least for now.
I have the same problem with my KYB strut mounts. My monroes just arrived and I will be putting them on sometime this week.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:46 PM
KYB strut mounts

I put new Struts and mounts and experienced a noticeable squeak but not when turning. I replaced a control arm, sway bar links and bushings, and ball joint at the same time so it took me a while to narrow it down. I replaced the passenger side today with a Monroe strut mount and the squeak went away. I also noticed that the mount tower flange nuts had lock grooves on them while the flange nuts sent wi the Monroe did not. I don't know if it was these locking groove flange nuts or a combination of nuts and mount but if you are looking for a possible quick fix replace the grooved locking flange nuts with smooth flange nuts and see if that helps before replacing the entire mount. I noticed paint wear and metal showing underneath the tower nuts. Like I said it may be just these grooved locking nuts or it may be the the mount and nuts combo but replacing the nuts is a heck of a lot quicker than replacing the entire mount.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 g35x

Originally Posted by si_driver
BTW,

I installed the KYB strut mounts as well and the noise is driving me crazy..

Lubricating it with spray only makes it worst. I used white grease and had no noise for a couple of days.

We may need to go back to the OEM strut mounts.
Argh!! I am having this same issue after having kyb struts and mounts installed, such crap! Driving me insane! So the mounts worked for you all?

Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 AM
Almost went with KYB mounts on my shock change till I read reviews on Amazon. Lots of complaints with the KYB rubber mounts. Went with moog half the cost and no problems.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM
It's the rubber inside the KYB strut mount

The squeak in my case wasn't from the strut .. it was from the strut mount. There's a rubber component that's not present in, say, a Monroe equivalent. The metal in the strut rubs against the rubber in the KYB product and that's the source of the squeak. Lubricants like lithium grease may take care of it for a day or two, but it's not a solution. DO NOT buy the KYB strut mounts!

I replaced old OEM front and rear struts and front strut mounts on a 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe with all KYB parts. Started hearing occasional squeaking from right front which became almost constant within a week of initial installation. Parts supplier insisted it was a defect in the strut - refused to replace the strut mount at the same time. New strut installed -- same problem. Found lots of other posts on line about the same problem ... all said it was the mount. Parts supplier then agreed to replace the KYB mount with a new one. Same problem. I bought/had installed a Monroe strut mount ... no more problem on the driver's side, but now was hearing the same thing from the passenger side (probably was there all along, but driver's side was masking it.) Replaced the passenger side strut mount with a Monroe .......... no more problem. Cost me a fortune in labor, diagnostics, and shipping.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 PM
I had the same squeak after replacing the entire front suspension. In my case the KYB front strut bump stop (the foam thingy) that slides up and down the polished strut shaft became misalignment when the spring was compressed causing the infamous squeak. When you jack the car the and decompress the spring the bump stop realigns itself properly, as if it did nothing wrong. The friction of the foam bump stop rubbing the shaft is the source of the squeak. THE SOLUTION. Simply cut off the top rubber portion of the rear shock cover (replaced the rear shocks so this was junk now) Its basically a bump stop and shock cover molded together then slice it on one side so it can fit the strut shaft. Then fit it between the front strut mount and the foam bump stop. It will act as a spacer preventing the bump stop from misalignment. Alternatively, a thick rubber washer or stack of them will do the same. Since you are placing a "spacer" on the strut shaft there is no need to disassmble anything.
Sorry no pics.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Has anyone had luck with replacing the squeeking KYB mounts with Monroes or any other brand?

Old 07-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Daehtihs
Has anyone had luck with replacing the squeeking KYB mounts with Monroes or any other brand?
Uh, did you read the thread? Several people report success with Monroe mounts, including me. Still squeak-free two years later.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeak after G35 strut replacement