Brake pressure without brakes applied

Old 11-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pressure without brakes applied

This has been going on for a few months now. When it is 60 degrees or warmer my brake pedal will have a higher engage point like as soon as I step on the brake pedal I get full pressure applied to the brakes. Alot of times I will notice my brakes drag a little bit and when I get to about 5 mph my vsc abs and brake lights come on. One day I started it up and let it run for about 10 minutes and went out and hooked the scan tool up. The brake pressure sensor was reading 20 psi and sure enough I had a very high engage point on my brake pedal. I have replaced all 4 calipers, master cylinder. Now the catch to all this is when my brakes have pressure applied to them and it is sitting in neutral the car will not roll but as soon as I turn the car of and turn it back on the pressure will release and the brakes will act normal. It has me stumped. All of the hardware for the pads are greased. The slides are greased and freely moving and the pistons aren't seized. I bled the brakes today to see if it helps.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd normally say caliper (except you've replaced them) but maybe it's something in the ABS module since when power is shut off it goes away.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by theryan96
This has been going on for a few months now. When it is 60 degrees or warmer my brake pedal will have a higher engage point like as soon as I step on the brake pedal I get full pressure applied to the brakes. Alot of times I will notice my brakes drag a little bit and when I get to about 5 mph my vsc abs and brake lights come on. One day I started it up and let it run for about 10 minutes and went out and hooked the scan tool up. The brake pressure sensor was reading 20 psi and sure enough I had a very high engage point on my brake pedal. I have replaced all 4 calipers, master cylinder. Now the catch to all this is when my brakes have pressure applied to them and it is sitting in neutral the car will not roll but as soon as I turn the car of and turn it back on the pressure will release and the brakes will act normal. It has me stumped. All of the hardware for the pads are greased. The slides are greased and freely moving and the pistons aren't seized. I bled the brakes today to see if it helps.
Have you consulted the FSM?

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu.../Sedan/2012/BR

Have you checked the brake booster?

Page BR-13

AIR TIGHT
• Run the engine at idle for 1 minute to apply vacuum to the brake
booster, and stop the engine. Then depress the brake pedal sev-
eral times at 5-second intervals until the accumulated vacuum is
released to atmospheric pressure. Check that the clearance
between brake pedal and dash lower panel gradually increases (A

B

C) each time the brake pedal is depressed when perform-
ing this operation.
• Depress the brake pedal with the engine running. Then stop the
engine while holding down the brake pedal. Check that the brake
pedal stroke does not change after holding down the brake pedal
for 30 seconds or more.
NOTE:
A slight impact with a small click may be felt on the pedal when the
brake pedal is fully depressed. This is a normal phenomenon due
to the brake system operation.

Telcoman

Old 12-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
First instinct is caliper slide pins, but you've changed them.

Next, id suspect the booster. One thing to try is to loosen the MC to booster bolts when the brake are locked up, and see if that frees them up as the MC separates slightly from the booster.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Fixed it

It was just a little air trapped in the front calipers

Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 PM
UPDATE:

Its been a few years but i figured I would post the main cause. After about 6 months or so I had the same exact issue. It was not an issue of air but it seemed to remedy the problem. Come to find out that it was the master cylinder failing. I replaced it and it happened again about a year later, had to warranty that master cylinder and the issue was solved again. Had not had an issue since.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.