05 G35 Sedan Power Steering PROBLEM!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 05 G35 Sedan Power Steering PROBLEM!

Hi Guys, new member here,

I have a 2005 Infiniti g35 sedan, and recently my power steering started to cause me a lot of problems.

I have obviously done my research googling every problem I could find, including older power steering problems that I found on G35 driver and other infiniti/350z forums, and I am still not sure of what my problem is.

About a month ago, my steering started to get a little stiff but it wasn't much of a problem. Now last week is when I really started to have issues. After turning the wheel a quarter turn in any direction, the steering is a tug of war, and gives me a good workout just trying to make a turn. I took it to a mechanic who topped off the power steering fluid, and he said he wasn't sure of the problem - but it could be the steering column. I thought this may have been the rack and pinion as I've seen that was to be a problem for many others.

I was planning to take the car to another mechanic to have a more in-depth view at what could be the problem, but literally as I turned on the car to get there, the steering was back to perfect?? so I left it at that. The next day, i had an hour long drive and everything was fine until maybe 45 minutes in when I had to exit on the highway i realized that the power steering was completely gone again.

So lastly, my best guess is that my power steering pump was dying and somehow happened to start working again temporarily for a day. There are no noises or squeals that indicate that it is the pump or belt, so does anyone know what the problem could be? Currently it is not working.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I think you might be on to something with the pump. It's possible you need to drain and re-fill the fluid but I highly doubt suspect fluid would have that severe an effect on the system. Other than that I've got nothing. Good luck and let us know when you get it fixed what the issue was.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Issue

That's my rusty bastard could be same issue.
I had a similar issue if u live in the colder regions there's an issue with the u joint on the steering column it gets messed up by the elements and what ever else can splash up there. Just PB blast it see if it gets any better, mine did but it's a temporary fix if that is your problem. It can be seen from your drivers side front wheel, usually has a blue bushing on the end of it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bruh Really; 04-16-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 05-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tjat

That is definitely a seal leak. You need another rack and pinion.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That fluid is from all the PB Blaster he shot all over the U-joint of the steering shaft.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
i have since sold my car, and i now i own a 2015 370z Nismo

anyways, i got WD 40 blasted all over it, it slightly helped temporarily but it definitely wasn't a fix. oddly enough, a week or so later, the issue went away, and never came back to this day. must have been some sort of shotty connection or something, but it went away on it's own lol. I even bought a new u-joint but didn't replace it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.