Looking for Feedback on Brake Pads

Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Hated Hawk HPS on my prior car (a Z32 NA) - scary in the cold or wet. I also got rid of them quickly.

After I went through the OEM pads on my '04 Brembo coupe, I switched to Project Mu NS pads and really loved them. Great cold bite and good fade resistance. They weren't too bad on dust either. A little pricey but they were worth it.
think I have narrowed my choices to Akebono Performance ceramic and Project Mu NS400. going to continue to research and look for feedback as it is no rush.

think an old friend had the NS400 and going to hit him up for some feedback. only drawback I see on paper is pricing is kind of high.

thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
It's not kinda high, it's very high. If you want really good ceramics you gotta pay the big bucks. If you don't mind cleaning your wheels just get semi metallics like OEM and Stop Tech street.

Good luck. Good collaboration here!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
It's not kinda high, it's very high. If you want really good ceramics you gotta pay the big bucks. If you don't mind cleaning your wheels just get semi metallics like OEM and Stop Tech street.

Good luck. Good collaboration here!
$240 @ ConceptZ. have seen much higher, but this is about double the Akebono Performance pads. may be worth the added cost for added performance and low dust.

I thought OEM G37 BBK pads were a ceramic compound also made by Akebono.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG35R
$240 @ ConceptZ. have seen much higher, but this is about double the Akebono Performance pads. may be worth the added cost for added performance and low dust.

I thought OEM G37 BBK pads were a ceramic compound also made by Akebono.
At that price i think you should just stick with whatever akebono performance ceramic pad you were looking at. $240 can buy a set of carbotech XP12s and those are full blown track pads. Do you drive you car hard? It seems like low dust is more important than fade resistance or initial bite for your purposes.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by calvinc
At that price i think you should just stick with whatever akebono performance ceramic pad you were looking at. $240 can buy a set of carbotech XP12s and those are full blown track pads. Do you drive you car hard? It seems like low dust is more important than fade resistance or initial bite for your purposes.
agreed, and leaning that way as it makes sense. but if the NS400 is that much better, it may be a good investment in the car. car is driven about 2500 miles a year on warm, dry days only. if I love the pads, then they will be with the car for a long time.

low NVH and dust are a priority. if I can get some better stopping power than the Pro Act to go along with their low NVH and dust, that would be a bonus. saving some $$$ along the way, then we have a winner!

may need to save a few bucks anyway as it looks like I need my trunk lid re-sprayed from a de-badge that did not work out as planned.

thanks again to everyone for your feedback. this is why I come to the forum...good information from those with experience.

if anyone else has anything to add, please chime in as I will not be purchasing the pads until spring...other priorities.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
I work at a small BBK company who's name I won't mention to avoid the ban hammer, but, long story short, we are big fans of the NS400 compound.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by g356sp
I work at a small BBK company who's name I won't mention to avoid the ban hammer, but, long story short, we are big fans of the NS400 compound.
thanks for the feedback. no need to mention who you work for here.

assume you are big fans for the things I mention above that I am looking for in a new pad.

can you be more specific about what exactly you are big fans of?

Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Yeah, sorry, of course you want details haha. We liked the NS400 as an aggressive street / autox compound due to it's high all-weather bite and wide temp range, and its stable torque curve over that temp range. Dust and wear rates were moderate but not bad for a street car.

Originally Posted by DRG35R
thanks for the feedback. no need to mention who you work for here.

assume you are big fans for the things I mention above that I am looking for in a new pad.

can you be more specific about what exactly you are big fans of?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by g356sp
Yeah, sorry, of course you want details haha. We liked the NS400 as an aggressive street / autox compound due to it's high all-weather bite and wide temp range, and its stable torque curve over that temp range. Dust and wear rates were moderate but not bad for a street car.
thank you again. just the kind of info I am looking for.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.