04 G35X front suspension issues and ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 04:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock G35X w/ K&N air filter
04 G35X front suspension issues and ?'s

Hello everyone Im new here, I'm familiar with Nissan's and this is my first Infiniti. I just purchased an 04 G35X about a month ago. The front end feels loose and it'll shake really bad as in it will get a lot wheel hop. Whenever I'm going highway speed 75mph and I encounter a rough highway I can feel it bouncing around a lot. It'll shake and bounce until the road clears up. The shocks and springs feel fine, so I'm assuming that it's the bushings that need replaced. Or something is just really loose, because it shakes pretty bad. Which sucks because I won't dare take it over 90mph. Before anyone says anything,yes it's above our typical 75mph speed limit, but it's very typical here. People average 80/90 on our highways all the time. Hell I see quit alot going 100+! Sometimes you have to haul *** just to get out of the way because I don't feel like being tailed at going 90mph. I'll have to speed up just to pass traffic in order to get in the next lane. Now if the road is fairly smooth It won't shake and bounce. Then I hit a rough patch of road and the wheel travel is highly noticable. I need to get underneath it and shake the suspension parts to see what exactly is loose.

I'm not sure weather I should replace the bushings or just the parts themselves? Do all of the bushings fit or will they need to be just for the AWD model? Also does this thing have 4 ball joints? I know that there's the upper and lower ball joints. Then one on the end of the compression arm. But then it looks from the pics I've seen that there's also one that bolts onto the forward control arms.

Also from what I've found so far and I've searched everywhere on this forum and online as well. It looks like for whatever reason they've only made frontward and rearward control arms that will only fit this yr model in particular. On eBay im not finding many parts that are for the 04 yr model. It's weird because I've found a compression arm for instance that says it'll fit the 04 and 05 model. But then there's compression arms that are for the 05/06 models that won't fit the 04 in the compatability chart. I've found some great deals on eBay but they are for the 05/06 G35X AWD models and it says it won't fit the 04 model. What exactly are the differences that would make them not be compatible? Or would they even fit? I know sometimes the compatability charts aren't exactly accurate. I've tried to cross reference part numbers but the diagrams I've found all show part numbers for the 05/06 G35x. I really would like to know if the 05 and up suspension parts will fit for my 04. The forward control arms look almost identical, I can't tell them apart from the pics. I do not want to order them and they not fit and have to go through the headache of returning something through eBay. I've found some bundles that come with the upper control arms, compression control arms, and outter tie rods. It says it's for RWD and every yr model G35, yet says it also will fit my 04 G35X or so it claims.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Upper-Lower-Control-Arms-Outer-Tierods-for-2003-2006-2007-G35-350Z-RWD/163399135265

Then there's this but it's for the 05/06 G35X.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Lower-Forward-Control-Arms-Sway-Bar-Links-for-2005-2006-Infiniti-G35-AWD/173718914743

Do you guys think this would fit my 04 by any chance? I'm going to be on a budget these next two months, so I'm needing to find a great deal. I've found a set of forward lower control arms for $134. Then a set of compression arms that say they'll fit for $150. But if I can get that bundle it'd be cheaper, plus I'd get extra parts. Then all I'd need will be the ball joints pretty much.

I really apologize for being a bit lazy as I haven't been underneath the car to inspect the suspension yet. My brother has had my jack for the past 3 wks. All I've managed to do is an oil change. I have to get new rotors soon anyways. I also plan to drain and fill the ATF in the transmission, and transfer case as well as the gear oil in the front and rear diffs. Hopefully I can use the 05/06 suspension parts. Or if the bushings are all compatible, then maybe that's the best route as well? I can't find any bushings that say they fit the 04 G35X, they all say they fit every yr model. This is annoying to say the least. Hopefully one of you guys will know some of the answers to my questions. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for any insight given.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
I'm not sure about the X front suspension design, but I think that the 03/04 front lower balljoint, knuckle, and lower control arms are different vs the 05/06 on RWD cars. All the sites I visit to order parts show them being different and 03/04 or 05/06 specific.
I do know that the compression rods are different rwd vs. awd, since there needs to be clearance for the front axles:
https://www.z1motorsports.com/advanc...on+Rod+Bushing

Old 07-18-2021, 09:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock G35X w/ K&N air filter
First off let me just say that I love this car, its been really reliable. Its not the fastest car by any means, but just quick enough to enjoy. It would definitely make a great first car for anyone. Ive put over 15k on my car since I got it almost a yr ago. Ive only had to replace the starter and alternator so far. Ive installed a CAI, 5/16th Blox Plenum Spacer, oil catch can that I have going to both banks from the crankcase. I had to plug the inlet that goes into the intake tube, where bank 1s ventilation hose went into.
The only trouble I had after these mods were that it has a tendency to run lean. The A/F ratio gets thrown out of spec with the increase of air volume. After I removed the catalytic converters, installed a set of test pipes, removed stock resonator and replaced it with a 22 inch Magnaflow Glasspack. It helped fix the issue believe it or not. I guess with increased exhaust flow there is no longer a lot of back pressure. All I know is that I no longer get those lean codes anymore. Plus it actually sounds pretty good. I still have the oem muffler, its not too obnoxious and annoying sounding. I dont have the infamous trumpet sounding exhaust thankfully.

Heres what I found out about the suspension when it comes to the X model. First off all of the rear suspension parts are interchangeable between the RWD G35 and the 350Z as well. There's many different combos that you can use to lower the car. You can go with an aftermarket lowering spring thats specifically made for this model. Or you can use the RWD G35 springs to lower it 1/2inch. Or you can use the 350Z oem springs to lower it 1inch. You could use aftermarket lowering springs for both vehicles but youll get how ever much the lowering springs are plus that 1/2 or 1 inch drop that you'd get being that its from a different vehicle. Since they all have the same chasis these parts are all interchangeable. This goes for the struts as well as any aftermarket coilovers. A common combo many X owners do is using a 350Z spring from one of their performance packages or Nismo springs for the front. Then they will use the RWD G35 spring for the front to give the car a stanced look. You will definitely need to get some adjustable Uper Control arms for the front. They do make part specific front upper control arms, but I found out that you can use upper control arms for any V35 model. The ones that came with the X model are just stiffer and made out of Iron.
If you have coilover that wont be an issue, but I dont see anyone with the X or sedan getting coilovers unless they are racing or drifting. Even then this would require an Ebrake to be modified as a center hand brake. The Sway bar is also much stiffer but the end links are all the same. The tie rods I believe are the same, but Id make sure to get ones just for the X. The ball joints on the hub are all essentially the same, but Id save you the headache of having to shave the shims down so itll fit. Just go ahead and get the ball joints for the X model. The compression rods are different because they have to clear the shaft of the cv axels. The RWD model is made from aluminum and wont fit on the X. The X model are iron and painted black and they can go on the RWD model though.
The real change is in the front forward lower control arm. You'll get so many different results and Ive came to the general consensus that they are all the same. Ive found some that came with the center ball joint for about $105 a piece. However, they all say that they only fit the 05/06 model and not the 04. Ive found the ones that don't come with that center ball joint and say that it only fits the 04/05 model. Ive looked at them over and over and found no difference. I went and got the pair that came with the center ball joint or whatever that part is called. Because good luck trying to find that part at all. I couldnt and the dealership didnt even have them. Its some kind of linkage that bolts with two bolts right in the center of the forward LCA. Ive found them w/o them for as little as $56 a piece. The ones that came with them did need a little bit of modification so they could attach to that linkage bar or whatever the hell its called? Its kind of odd how no one seems to know and you can't find any helpful info on the subject whatsoever.