Lightest Brake kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightest Brake kit

What is the lightest brake kit? I have the stock brakes but the Infiniti performance tire and wheel package with 18's. All I want is the lightest possible brake kit that still provides quality and durability and obviously stops better but nothing too overkill. But if overkill is what it takes to get the lightest brakes then thats what I may get.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:56 PM
If your goal is to shave off unsprung weight start with a lighter set of wheels and tires. You have more of an opportunity to save weight there first. I don't believe there are any brake kits out there that are actually lighter than the stock setup. Even the "lighter" big brake kits out there at the best probably weigh the same or a bit more than the stock setup.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by dklau33
If your goal is to shave off unsprung weight start with a lighter set of wheels and tires. You have more of an opportunity to save weight there first. I don't believe there are any brake kits out there that are actually lighter than the stock setup. Even the "lighter" big brake kits out there at the best probably weigh the same or a bit more than the stock setup.
I cannot say for sure about pre 2005 cars. This I know is the wilwood 14" BBK Kit saved me 28 lbs over stock. This BBK kit works very well. The craftmenship is wonderful.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:28 PM
The StopTech Aero Rotors will be a direct fit in replacement of the factory, with no mods. Each rotor saves over 10lbs on each corner.... so you'll probably be saving close to 50lbs.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:19 AM
I guess first of all we need to see what we are comparing here. Chromium, what year is your car, sedan or coupe, and brembo or standard brakes?

Geepasta... we know the 2005 stock brakes got bigger so I'm not surprised you saw a weight savings there. When you did the comparison did you weigh both the rotors and calipers?

Whysonice... when you say the StopTech Aero Rotors saves over 10lbs per corner what is that in comparison to stock?

I guess I should probably retract my first statement about almost no big brake kits out there that are lighter than stock. Maybe some of the racing, 2piece rotor BBK's out there are lighter than say an '03-'04 stock standard brake setup. But I still think the first place to start to shave off unsprung weight is at the wheels and tires.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by dklau33
I guess first of all we need to see what we are comparing here. Chromium, what year is your car, sedan or coupe, and brembo or standard brakes?

Geepasta... we know the 2005 stock brakes got bigger so I'm not surprised you saw a weight savings there. When you did the comparison did you weigh both the rotors and calipers?

Whysonice... when you say the StopTech Aero Rotors saves over 10lbs per corner what is that in comparison to stock?

I guess I should probably retract my first statement about almost no big brake kits out there that are lighter than stock. Maybe some of the racing, 2piece rotor BBK's out there are lighter than say an '03-'04 stock standard brake setup. But I still think the first place to start to shave off unsprung weight is at the wheels and tires.
I agree with you.
Understand that with the BBK kits your back brakes will take on the most weight. The rotors will weigh more but at the same time the saving in the frt will be the savings. A very good upgrade if you have the money.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Well I know that the ZMI Titanium Brake Kits saved almost 20-30 pounds per corner, but the only site that sold them was closed when I checked back. Now I cant find them anywhere, I have heard that Carbon Brake Kits are also extremely light so if someone can find those I'd really appreciate it (I know there like 10k+) but it never hurts to look! (Ok, maybe it does)

Old 07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by ChromiumBlue7
Well I know that the ZMI Titanium Brake Kits saved almost 20-30 pounds per corner, but the only site that sold them was closed when I checked back. Now I cant find them anywhere, I have heard that Carbon Brake Kits are also extremely light so if someone can find those I'd really appreciate it (I know there like 10k+) but it never hurts to look! (Ok, maybe it does)
And they supposedly never wear out!

Old 07-15-2005, 04:58 PM
check out the "AP" big 6 piston brake kit. The best quality. Lots of racing sanctions use them...such as nascar.

sean

Old 07-17-2005, 08:00 PM
well, if anyone finds the ZMI Brakes again, which I would appreciate, please pm me. I hear supposedly that they are out of business, I hope it wasnt because of the brakes.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by ChromiumBlue7
those carbon and ceramic brakes are like the ones used in Le Mans. as soon as you apply pressure, they emmit a bright red glow. MotoGP uses Carbon type rotors due to the reduced weight and great stopping power. The bad thing about Carbon rotors is during rain and, they get kind of sump, affecting the stopping power. I've also heard of ZMI. I was looking for their site and, like you said, they were closed.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 PM
endless...?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Our Wilwood 13" front and rear kit offers the bigget loss in unspung weight out of any brake kit out there today. I dont have the numbers next to me so dont quote me on this but I remember the front shaves about 15 pounds off each corner and the rear just a hair less than 15 per corner.