Teaser: Rotor Upgrade - Stock Brembo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Man with green rock in Vortech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by protocav
I'm not sure about those weights. I installed a set of stop tech 2-piece aero rotors for a friend, with the stock brembos. i weighed both rotors, and found that the two piece rotors were only 2 lbs lighter than the stock ones (each). also, if you look at the design of the 15.2" ones, there is a very small hat. they could have easily made the hat bigger, since the inner part of the rotor will not be doing anything. these have to be heavier than stock, or at least the same weight.
Correct, the hat could easily by about .75" larger, however, I am not putting up the additional $500 a piece to make custom hats when we can use an existing 11" hat from another application. This set is not final until I test fit everything on my car and give it the final okay.. It very well could come to custom hats, but for now I am going to try what is available and go from there.

I cannot argue any weights with you because that is what I was given from my source. I don't see any reason why they would lie to me about the weight... What is the width of the stoptech rotors, and how thick is the hat they come with? These are definitely not heavier than stock, and will be lighter, whether it be 2 lbs or 6.5 lbs as stated before.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM
fair enough. i am still excited to see these on a car.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by protocav
fair enough. i am still excited to see these on a car.
you and me both.. i am not ruling out your opinion or anything, i would like to know the width of the stoptech rotors, i am willing to bet they are the standard 1 1/4", and the weight of the hats.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Do you know if these rotors would help the car stop better compared to the stock rotors? I'm curious what the result is since you are still using the stock calipers. If they are reasonably priced and proven to stop better, it might be a very good investment!

Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by s14roller
Do you know if these rotors would help the car stop better compared to the stock rotors? I'm curious what the result is since you are still using the stock calipers. If they are reasonably priced and proven to stop better, it might be a very good investment!
this modification is obviously mostly asthetic because I am keeping the stock calipers, however, it has been argued that slotting/drilling/pads/SS lines help to stop the car better. i cannot attest to this or give any factual information.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:38 AM
keeping this thread up-to-date.. getting the hates drilled to 5x114.3 bolt pattern and getting SS brake lines made. my fingers are crossed that this goes out tomorrow.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:55 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by s14roller
YES, they will. This is why. The larger rotor privide a larger surface area to dispel heat. Also, the slots and drilled holes allow heat gases to dissipate quicker. Last but not least, the brake line upgrade will be beneficial because under extreme condition where you are using your brakes a lot, (road track or drag strip), your rubber brake line tend to expand due to the excess heat of the brake fluid passing through the caliper. This causes "fading" of the brakes and it some cases, total loss of all brake feeling altogether.

My question is, will you be offering this as a rotor and SS line package, or will they be sold separately ?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
YES, they will. This is why. The larger rotor privide a larger surface area to dispel heat. Also, the slots and drilled holes allow heat gases to dissipate quicker. Last but not least, the brake line upgrade will be beneficial because under extreme condition where you are using your brakes a lot, (road track or drag strip), your rubber brake line tend to expand due to the excess heat of the brake fluid passing through the caliper. This causes "fading" of the brakes and it some cases, total loss of all brake feeling altogether.

My question is, will you be offering this as a rotor and SS line package, or will they be sold separately ?
thanks for the technical reply

package deal.. did you want some SS lines or something?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
thanks for the technical reply

package deal.. did you want some SS lines or something?
just asking...the likelihood of a person upgrading these rotors and already having SS lines is probably slim...

Old 09-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
just asking...the likelihood of a person upgrading these rotors and already having SS lines is probably slim...
And the lines are going to have to be 2" longer than stock lines as well

Old 09-15-2005, 11:37 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by turbomaxima
And the lines are going to have to be 2" longer than stock lines as well
Ah, good point...so I guess the answer is YES! =)

Old 09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
here are some pictures, brackets weren't cut right, so back they go and i am sending a caliper with.. 15.2" rotors are absolutely ENORMOUS:

my buddy was nice enough to pose

Stock setup

Rotors in place (did not clear stock 18s, but will clear stock 19s)

Nice comparison shot

Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Looks very nice. How does it feel when you brake?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by skylineg35tt
Looks very nice. How does it feel when you brake?
it doesn't.. hence the "sending caliper back with" comment. brackets are off, couldn't even mount the calipers.

the rotors are immense though!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow how much did the bigger rotor weigh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Teaser: Rotor Upgrade - Stock Brembo