Ride height on Tein Basics with MINIMAL drop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ride height on Tein Basics with MINIMAL drop?

Hi -

Been doing a little research on this subject tonight, but haven't found too many people that have keep their Basics' drop to a minimum. I don't want to go any lower than my 350z H-Techs are now (less drop would actually be preferred) since there are so many speedbumps and deep driveway gutters in this area.

I've seen a little controversy on this subject since Tein specs the Basics with a 0.7" minimum drop in front (rears are spec'd at 0.1" raised at minimum) and at least one member of this forum claims their Tein Basics were adjusted such that the 'stock' ride height was maintained.

My question for you guys and gals on Tein Basics, how high have you been able to get your Basics with a minimal drop? Please indicate if you have a Coupe or Sedan. Pictures like this would also help out: http://crazymike1.smugmug.com/photos/47970912-M.jpg (Note - this is my G on H-techs)

Also - please don't reply if your car is 'slammed' - there are plenty of threads with Gs 'slammed' on Basics.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 01-28-2006, 12:27 AM
The tein website should give you the range the basics can be adjusted to. I forgot what the specs are exactly offhand, but the site does proivide the exact measurements.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:05 AM
That is my point, Tein says minimum of 0.7" drop in front and 0.1" raised in rear as minimum. Tein's website is here: http://www.tein.com/infiniti.html
However, manufacturer specs are not always correct. I'm looking for real-world measurments.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Mike - Not liking your Spring/Shock combo?

Old 01-29-2006, 05:33 PM
My biggest issue is that they are a little too low for me around here. I am constantly bottoming out or scraping over speedbumps. The roads are really crappy around this area. I think even a 1/4" might help me out.

My secondary reason for looking at the Basics is the stiffer spring rates, esp in front.

I think I may try out the OEM 350z springs soon and see if the 1/2" drop beats the 0.8" or so that I have now. Just scoping the options...

Old 01-29-2006, 07:06 PM
But don't the adjustable shocks make up for the lower spring rates of the H-Techs?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:16 PM
keep your d-spec shocks, I would swap out the springs with some 05z springs, that will lower your coup just a tad under stock. It will be higher then what you have presently.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Disclamer – I have no Basics

Dialing in a lot of spring preload to get height?
Do you still have D-Spec set at 5; will you tolerate a much higher stiffness of Basics?

Old 01-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Right now I have the fronts on 3 and the rears on 4 and it isn't too bad. I have to slow down quite a bit for the last 1/4 mile where I work.

I'd rather ride with less drop and stiffer springs than keep this ride height. Had two passengers in my car today and I scraped over every speedbump out where we usually go to get lunch. I may even put the stock springs back on at this rate...

Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
If you don't track your car or any type of perfomance oriented driving, I would suggest Tein H-Tech for the G35. They barely lower your car and are very similar to stock ride comfort. I'm looking to get rid of my set, btw.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Actually, the only reason I lowered was for autox. I wanted the increased negative camber up front as a result of the drop and I wanted stiffer spring rates to reduce body roll/geometry changes in turns. Based on these forums, I don't think the G35 H-techs will meet my requirements - thanks for the offer though.

I'm still looking at other options like OEM 350z springs, G35 OEM springs (revised version perhaps), etc; but I started this thread to answer this question: 'What was your drop on Tein Basics at the minumum setting?'

Old 01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Ya, I went to auto-x with those springs and they are a little too soft for me. Had to keep the throttle down for the back to slide out in order to make a clean turn without hitting any cones. I just ordered some D-Specs and am looking for some 350Z H-Techs as well. I think the best bet for you is to get '05 OEM 350Z springs first and try them out. Cheaper alternative.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dan_K
If you don't track your car or any type of perfomance oriented driving, I would suggest Tein H-Tech for the G35. They barely lower your car and are very similar to stock ride comfort. I'm looking to get rid of my set, btw.
check your pm's

Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I think Tein's info on their website is a bit out of whack. From Gsedan35's hard research we know that in stock form the G sedan rides the highest, the G coupe 0.5" lower, and the 350Z another 0.5" lower.

We also know according to Tein's website that there is only one version of the Tein Basic system for the G/Z as evidenced by the Part #'s. On the website it says the min front drop on the sedan is -1.6, the coupe is -0.7, and the 350Z is 0. If stock ride height can be maintained on a 350Z then shouldn't the numbers for the sedan be -1 and the coupe be -0.5??? I've PM'ed Gsedan35 on this so maybe he can shed some light.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Since I know of at least on sedan owner on Basics that got a max front drop of 1.5", I'm inclined to suspect their Z drop amounts listed for the Basics. Though technically the Z is lighter, that really has never shown up before in regards to drop level's Z to G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ride height on Tein Basics with MINIMAL drop?