Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Hello All,Im looking to join the G35 Community.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All,Im looking to join the G35 Community.

Hello,I guess this is my introduction and Inquiry. My name is chris,im 21 from VA. Currently I am deployed in iraq,but I come home in April.

At one point in time,I had a lot of vehicle options that I was contemplating,but I narrowed the choices down. They were :

EVO VIII
04-05 STi
03-04 Cobra
05 Mustang GT
S2000

And now,I have gathered a little more opinions,and a few people referred me to the G35. I have only owned one nissan product in my day (90 240sx),and It wasnt that bad of a vehicle. Ive owned 12 cars since the age of 17,so im not narrow minded when it comes to performance vehicles.At this point in my life though,I am looking to stay between the RWD-AWD platform,as its just a better driving car overall.

Ive narrowed my choice down to either the 04-05 STi,or the 03-05 G35. I do not want to go any higher than an 05 in the year category,because im not too fond on "newer" cars.

The reason why I am looking more into a G35,than an STi is this. Ive gotten into plenty of trouble with the law,at a younger age,over drag racing,so im trying to stay clear of that route. I have a good idea,that if I get the STi,I will probably modify the hell out of it,and end up getting in trouble some how or some way. Im not saying that the G35 is slow..but one of my cars I used to be a 94 integra w/ a T3/T4 turbo setup that ran a 13.5 @ 105 w/ bald all season tires,and a slipping clutch w/ a 2.2 60 ft. I know the G35 isnt capable of that in stock form,but I understand that it is a fun and a little "beastly" car to drive around town.

Heres what I wanted to ask :

1.Ive done a little research on these vehicles,I understand that there is some "oil consumption" issues with the earlier models. I wanted to get a general opinion on what year most people purchased,or if the "oil comp" issue is even that big of a deal,that I should steer clear of certain years?

2. By the time I get back to the US. (not to put my financial business out there),I will have roughly 15k 17k saved up in the bank. Now I dont plan on buying the car outright cash.(of course,because I still dont have enough)But all my cars were bought and paid for cash,and none of them being more expensive than 2500$. I just recently got USAA for credit,and banking,but I havent transferred all my funds into their account yet. I have NO credit,but I do have a credit card through them. I was told if I transfer my funds into my account with them,and they see that I have ample money,they wll approve me for an Auto loan. What is you guys opinion on this?

3. What would I have to watch out for,if I dont go to a "major" dealership to aquire one of these cars,as opposed to an "auto lot" that has a wide selection of different cars,and trade ins?? I know with the G35's,a lot of them are adult driven,so "abuse" is not always common as with other cars (sti,mustang). But what are key areas I should look for,and things I should ask?

4. Lastly, "settling". I have always wanted to have a car with the "Black on black" color scheme. And I have already figured out that I want a BO 03-05 w/ SSR professor Sp-1's. But in some cases,you might find a BO thats not exactly everything you want. Should I settle for a DG,or overlook "higher mileage" or certain "interior" features to get the color I want?

I know you guys cant make a decision for me,But ive seen that the BB on these cars is between 19k and 24k. I really dont want to go any higher than 23k on a car.

LOL sorry for the long *** post,Just trying to get a good insight.This is a pretty important decision for me. Thanks!

Last edited by BoostlagG35; 02-22-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Correction, the oil consumption problem is actually on the NEWER cars(05+ 6MT).

People usually recommend '04.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by emceephi
Correction, the oil consumption problem is actually on the NEWER cars(05+ 6MT).

People usually recommend '04.
ahh,thanks for the correction. So im basically looking at an 03-04 model. Bump for opinions,and suggestions.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're going to modify the hell out of the STi, you're probably going to end up modifying the hell out of any car you get.

I can give you a direct comparison of the STi/s2000/g35 if you like...

The STi is the brute force/get out of my way/raw performance car.

the s2000 is going to be the finesse/razor sharp scalpel/i-turn-faster-than-you car.

The g35 is going to be the sporty/luxury best combo for the dollar car.

Drive them all and just get what you like. STi's tend to be abused, but s2000s and g35s generally are not.

In terms of power, the s2000 is going to FEEL significantly slower than the other two.

In terms of handling, the STi and s2000 will run circles around the G.

In terms of comfort, the g35 will be nice for cruising and taking the ladies out.

The STi will be the cheapest to modify, followed by the G, in terms of bolt-ons for increasing power. FI s2000s are faster than FI G35s. Both, compared to STi's, depend on the level of modification on the STi.

The STi will be cheapest to insure (!!!)

The s2000 and G35 are more 'respectable' cars.

G35 has the highest top speed (if that matters... haha) s2000 barely beats out the STi here, stock for stock.

STi is the most practical (sedan, useable trunk, awd)

G35 is cheapest to maintain, followed by the s2000.

s2000's and STis have a bigger community than the G35.

G35s are the quietest, by far of the 3. for daily driving, the STi is louder than the s2000, when you're pushing it, the s2000 is louder than the STi. This applied to modified cars as well.

The G35 is easiest to daily drive in traffic, by far. (keep it over idle and you never lug) Have to keep revs over 2k in the STi and s2000 unless you're VERY gentle on the throttle. STi doesnt have any real power till the turbo starts spooling at ~2400 rpm (stock). 3k is where the real power is. s2000 has no power till youre 6k+ rpm.

G35 has the most realistic gearing for daily driving. STi has really agressive 1-4, and the s2000 has slightly taller 3rd and 4th gears (in terms of % of rev range used for speed)

The G35 has a headrest (!!!); STis dont have rear headrests for passengers, and the front seats are near buckets; same with the s2000.

This is an interesting comparison.

I've had a 06 STI GT30 (sold), 05 s2000 vortech (sold), 05 G35 (DD), and a 08 CR.

Last edited by mIKE; 02-22-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
If you're going to modify the hell out of the STi, you're probably going to end up modifying the hell out of any car you get.

I can give you a direct comparison of the STi/s2000/g35 if you like...

The STi is the brute force/get out of my way/raw performance car.

the s2000 is going to be the finesse/razor sharp scalpel/i-turn-faster-than-you car.

The g35 is going to be the sporty/luxury best combo for the dollar car.

Drive them all and just get what you like. STi's tend to be abused, but s2000s and g35s generally are not.

In terms of power, the s2000 is going to FEEL significantly slower than the other two.

In terms of handling, the STi and s2000 will run circles around the G.

In terms of comfort, the g35 will be nice for cruising and taking the ladies out.

The STi will be the cheapest to modify, followed by the G, in terms of bolt-ons for increasing power. FI s2000s are faster than FI G35s. Both, compared to STi's, depend on the level of modification on the STi.

The STi will be cheapest to insure (!!!)

The s2000 and G35 are more 'respectable' cars.

G35 has the highest top speed (if that matters... haha) s2000 barely beats out the STi here, stock for stock.

STi is the most practical (sedan, useable trunk, awd)

G35 is cheapest to maintain, followed by the s2000.

s2000's and STis have a bigger community than the G35.

G35s are the quietest, by far of the 3. for daily driving, the STi is louder than the s2000, when you're pushing it, the s2000 is louder than the STi. This applied to modified cars as well.

The G35 is easiest to daily drive in traffic, by far. (keep it over idle and you never lug) Have to keep revs over 2k in the STi and s2000 unless you're VERY gentle on the throttle. STi doesnt have any real power till the turbo starts spooling at ~2400 rpm (stock). 3k is where the real power is. s2000 has no power till youre 6k+ rpm.

G35 has the most realistic gearing for daily driving. STi has really agressive 1-4, and the s2000 has slightly taller 3rd and 4th gears (in terms of % of rev range used for speed)

The G35 has a headrest (!!!); STis dont have rear headrests for passengers, and the front seats are near buckets; same with the s2000.

This is an interesting comparison.

I've had a 06 STI GT30 (sold), 05 s2000 vortech (sold), 05 G35 (DD), and a 08 CR.

Well see,you would think that I would "mod" the hell out of the G35,but not so much. Im not saying "price" is a huge factor in modifying the G,but as a sport luxury car,I would be less prone to doing extensive mods,because it would IMO make the car less tasteful. I just cant picture myself doing a ****load of performance and body mods to the car.

Im trying to hit my "semi adult" phase at 21,slow down on the whole "Drag racing" deal,and just enjoy a car that I can drive daily,get decent/good looks,and have a little power/luxury behind it. I think the G35 is the best choice for me honestly. Being in the military,and having a fast car sometimes dont mix. I mean,I have good self control,I just dont want to have to count on it all the time.

I do plan on doing a few mods of course (tint,wheels,lowering,Intake,exhaust) but I dont even want to touch the motor in N/A form. Its not worth it IMO from what Ive seen price/power wise. I would more than likely put a TT kit on it,and get it tuned for a easy driving DD setup. More than likely it would turn into a DD/show car. But thats super far future,if that.

ps. I asked a lot of people in my Unit what they thought about the G35,and they loved it. Back when I wanted the STi,a lot of people didnt even know what kind of car that is. Im by no means an attention seeker,but when I can get a car,that people on all platforms (trucks,bikes,Suvs,racers,etc) can respect,and say "thats a nice car" that lets me know that its not always about speed,or looks.

Last edited by BoostlagG35; 02-22-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:46 PM
When epople didnt know what the STi was, I just told them the subaru with the big wing.

"oh that thing... I thought it was a civic"

Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
When epople didnt know what the STi was, I just told them the subaru with the big wing.

"oh that thing... I thought it was a civic"

lol,I tried to explain to them what it is. As soon as I said "subaru" they were like "ohh...ok",and still didnt know wtf I was talking about. Some people did,and they know what type of car it is.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Our preferences are probably different, but I'm 22, and my G35 is my DD. I also tend to drive a bit faster, due to it being a SMOOTHER ride, and smooth power delivery.

It might also be due to the fact that I felt more self concious in the STi and my current CR; I drive slower in them... rarely more than 75 on the freeway.

just my $.02

Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
boost lag..what branch you in, and where you at in Iraq? Im over here right now as well..in Al Asad..Rank?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd recommend an 05+

The interior of the 05+ itself is worth it alone (along with other updates).

People are paranoid about the oil consumption issue. I have a 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT and have had no issues what so ever.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Our preferences are probably different, but I'm 22, and my G35 is my DD. I also tend to drive a bit faster, due to it being a SMOOTHER ride, and smooth power delivery.

It might also be due to the fact that I felt more self concious in the STi and my current CR; I drive slower in them... rarely more than 75 on the freeway.

just my $.02

I like to drive a bit aggressive as well,but in VA,the laws,and regulations have cracked down so much in the past years,its almost deterring for a person to own a modified Import. When I owned my Foxbody mustang,I had 8k HID's,full exhaust no cats,and drove aggressive EVERYDAY. NEVER once,did I get pulled,or messed with by the cops. But in my 94 Integra,I got 6 tickets in one stop one night. So the STi would probably be a no no for me.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by HoLLiStErGuY524
boost lag..what branch you in, and where you at in Iraq? Im over here right now as well..in Al Asad..Rank?

hollister,Im in the army. 1st Infantry Divsion,im ordnance (mechanic) but when I was sent to my unit over here,they needed me to fill a transportation (truck driver) slot/position. Currently I am in the Rashid district of Baghdad,which is the southeast portion of baghdad city. I joined in sept.06,so im only a PFC (E-3). But I make my SPC (E-4) probably next month,or april.

what about you?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I'd recommend an 05+

The interior of the 05+ itself is worth it alone (along with other updates).

People are paranoid about the oil consumption issue. I have a 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT and have had no issues what so ever.

I dont think its so much "paranoia",I think its the fact that those were the years that were diagnosed with that problem. I understand the 05's have better interior,and other features,but I would more likely rather take my chances with an 04.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostlagG35
I dont think its so much "paranoia",I think its the fact that those were the years that were diagnosed with that problem. I understand the 05's have better interior,and other features,but I would more likely rather take my chances with an 04.
I know. Either way, I don't think I could ever feel comfortable in the 04's interior. I bearly even find my 06's interior acceptable

Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I know. Either way, I don't think I could ever feel comfortable in the 04's interior. I bearly even find my 06's interior acceptable

Well,Im coming from a 1990(18 years old) mustang GT 5speed. I think the G35 interior of ANY year will be acceptable to me. lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello All,Im looking to join the G35 Community.