Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Need CC - Would YOU purchase a 2004 Turbocharged G Coupe for $10k ? ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need CC - Would YOU purchase a 2004 Turbocharged G Coupe for $10k ? ? ? ?

Hello G35ers, its been a bit since I have posted here as I have not been in the G game for well over a year now. I still surf the forums, however have not contributed much lately.

Recently, I sold my 2003 Evo 8 and am looking at many options right now...from another E46 BMW M3, to another Evo, maybe an STI, and especially I've been heavily considering purchasing another G35 Coupe as they can be found extremely clean & well kept for much less than some of the cheapest Evos, STIs, and M3s.

Just days ago, I was doing my routine scouring of the online communities for these select cars, and came across (what appears to be) a beautiful blue G35 sport coupe. The ad read that it is a fully loaded, Turbonetics turbocharged G. I have since emailed the owner and have been communicating with them throughout the past day or so. What I have been told so far is this:

-The car is clean title, 0 accidents, 0 flood history
-It is turn key ready, the "only" thing it needs is air conditioning
-The Turbonetics kit was installed at an "Infiniti dealership, the 1st owner had this done when the car had just 30k miles on it."
-Supposedly the car makes 420HP, though I have not been informed of additional supporting modifications other than an upgraded clutch.
-It now has just under 75k miles on it and is used as a weekend driver.

I am still communicating with the current owner (who is the 3rd) trying to find out about supporting mods, details of the build, & installations. I told him I may be interested in coming to see the car over the weekend, and if the car is as-described I may just take it home with me. I mentioned that I would want to bring the car to a local car repair facility of my choice to have the Infiniti put on a lift and gone over, similar to a pre-purchase inspection. I was told that this is no problem, that there is nothing to hide. I am welcome to come and drive the car and see for myself that it is as-described. I am just (I think reasonably) skeptical that this car is a flawless and perfect as it is being described to me. He is asking $13k for the car and already told me that he would let it go for $10,000.

So, I am asking you, fellow G35 members....WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE PUT IN THIS SITUATION?? I believe that I can get the car cheaper yet, though some things that confuse me are - The turbonetics kit being installed at the dealership. When asked about this, the answer given was that when you buy the car brand new, you can get whatever you would like done to the car. In this case, the supposed original owner wanted the car boosted @ 30k miles and paid the dealership nearly $10k for the kit and labor. I am also confused that many, many more supporting mods are not listed. Maybe this is b/c he purchased the car as-is and simply does not know besides the obvious fact that it is turbo?

I appreciate any and all constructive criticism given, I will certainly appreciate any and all advice! Thank you and good luck!

-Matt

Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
All you can do is check it out. He has no problem for pre purchase inspection you have nothing to lose! He already knocked $3000.off.The ball is in your hands now.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Buying a used car w/aftermarket turbo setup can be very hit or miss. In this case it sounds like the guy your buying it from really has no idea what was done to it which would personally worry me but that dosnt necessarily mean it was done wrong. Things i would personally do before ever buying a previously modified car w/an addition such as a turbo setup etc

1) Compression test
2) Leakdown test
3) dyno sheet of said tune
4) check turbo for shaft play

Old 11-01-2013, 03:29 AM
Ban Hammer Expert

Received 635 Likes on 551 Posts
the price is somewhat of a red flag to me….if you don't mind taking the time to take it to a trusted shop and have it checked out than its worth a shot to do it

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I wouldn't. I know that modified cars tend to not sell as well, but $10K for this would send a red flag up for me.

How well is your knowledge at working on modified cars? Would you be able to correct any slight issues that would arise?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't there someone selling his turbo '05 for like $14K? This price is low, but it's not scammer low. And the fact he doesn't know anything about the kit isn't out of the ordinary if he bought it that way. But do a good inspection, there may be lots of problems he doesn't even know about.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I do have knowledge on turbo & modified cars. I've owned an 03 G sport coupe 6 spd, 3 Evo 8s, an E46 M3, a cammed 410rwhp LS1 Ws6, so the knowledge is there. Though I certainly don't know everything, or have ever personally built a motor.

I guess I can only take the time to go out and personally check it out. Thank you all for the CC, it is very much so appreciated and the advice mentioned will certainly be used during my initial viewing/test drive of the car. Any more info, just keep it coming!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Last I spoke to the seller he told me the car had a deposit on it and was sold - Today searching the same car was relisted by the same seller! Buyer backed out, fell through, or w.e.

I just got off the phone with him and he really needs to sell, I can get the car for $8-9k. He gave me more details on the Turbonetics which included ECU, tune, fuel pump, plugs, FMIC, piping, intake/exhaust, upgraded clutch...all I can recall off the top of my head. He says the car was not dyno tuned but is "estimated" 420whp. I'd really like to give this car a look, he says he has no issues with me coming to drive the car, have it put on a lift at a shop of my choice, that there is nothing to hide.

He tells me the only things the car "needs" or does not have is air conditioning & the subs/amplifiers.

Car is a 2004 clean title with 74k, Caribbean Blue w/ sport package , 6 spd...what would you guys do?? More CC needed & appreciated.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

I would buy it specifically because of the color haha but that's just me…..you have pictures man?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
If you pursue this car, please take it to someone that knows VQ's very well. The car could be burning oil, have a bad tune, needing a clutch even... too many variables.

Shamless plug...

OP, you should just buy my G. Full history, original owner, and well maintained.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

haha i see what you did there^

Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pepper
If you pursue this car, please take it to someone that knows VQ's very well. The car could be burning oil, have a bad tune, needing a clutch even... too many variables.

Shamless plug...

OP, you should just buy my G. Full history, original owner, and well maintained.

Sure, match his price and you've got yourself a sale.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Drew113
I would buy it specifically because of the color haha but that's just me…..you have pictures man?
"Skyline" badges tentatively would be the first to go..

Name:  turbog35_zpsf8bbe124.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  turbog35engine_zpsf61acff9.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  turbog35dash_zpsa55316f4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  turbog35rear_zpscfb9041d.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  48.5 KB

Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Appears to be running with a tpms light and an air bag light? Hopefully it was just started and still cold

Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawno72
Appears to be running with a tpms light and an air bag light? Hopefully it was just started and still cold

Depending on the state, having an airbag light on could possibly fail inspection.

Replacing airbag components could get pricey

(or the passenger seat harness recall has not been done yet)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need CC - Would YOU purchase a 2004 Turbocharged G Coupe for $10k ? ? ? ?