Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

A few questions about g35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about g35?

Test drove a 05 g35 coupe today and loved it! Surprisingly I actually liked it more than the g37 coupe I test drove, the g35 coupe felt significantly more maneuverable sounded sexy had enough power to keep me happy, plus it saves me 8k. I was really surprised at how awesome the g35 coupe felt compared to the more expensive g37 glad I test drove them both.

Some questions.....

How many miles do these cars generally last before needing major work? I am looking at under 75k miles ones or does it make more sense to try and find a under 50k mile car?

Are there any years I should avoid that were highly prone to problems/anything to look for? (I will be taking any car to the infinity dealer to be inspected prior to buying)

Manual or automatic? I test drove a automatic and the low end power felt great especially compared to my scion tc. Is getting a manual highly recomended? I have never driven manual so really do not know, thinking of taking a 4 hour course at the driving school near me. I do like to drive somewhat aggressively and main purpose of buying the g is to have fun, but also I live in Chicago so do have too deal with stop n go traffic. I blew the automatic transmission in my scion tc twice, is the auto in the g35 strong enough to withstand aggressive driving without breaking gears and seals real easy? I will want too at the very least do exhaust and probably plenum spacer/intake.

Blizzaks seem to be the best choice for winter driving from forum reviews? I am talking light snow blown roads, not driving in a blizzard or anything.

Is there a big difference between the base model and sport model? Seems only difference is on manual cars have better brakes?

Anything else I should know.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so ur one of those ricers that like to drive autos like a manual? do it right if u like changing gears get a fkn manual!

Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Get a manual.. I'm not sure why whenever I see any coupe with an auto I'm just like ehh..

All years of Gs are good but keep an eye out for oil consumption, just change your oil more frequently. There are many annoyances with our cars, but none that out-weigh the fun. Do some research on here and you'll see.

The sport model has a slightly more aggressive suspension and the 19 inch rays. I drive an '06 6MT coupe with that very package.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM
the great thing is that theres plenty of used first gen 6mts for sale. unlike the g37/370z..used market for a 6mt is difficult to find one for the right price. theyre mostly all god damn autos!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
the great thing is that theres plenty of used first gen 6mts for sale. unlike the g37/370z..used market for a 6mt is difficult to find one for the right price. theyre mostly all god damn autos!
Tell me about it! I really overpaid to get what I wanted... But worth every penny.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:56 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I've driven manual for too many years. I'm glad I chose to go auto with my G.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Why? It should be easy, effortless, and second nature after so many years. I freaking love it

Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you plan on doing any performance upgrades, prepare to break the bank.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by bigmike
If you plan on doing any performance upgrades, prepare to break the bank.
That's very true. Our engines are tuned for pretty much maximum performance. No easy bolt ons will add any significant power.. So break the bank indeed.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
after nine years of owning mine, I am very happy with it. I still get compliments on the look and it still has more go than most cars do and is sure as hell corners better than most.

You will need some major work around 75-100K depending on how it was cared for and driven. I have replaced all my bushings, done the fluids several times, four of five brake jobs (some just for fun), and changed the idler pulley (noise). The shocks got replaced about 6 months after I lowered the car, they started leaking but the Tokico d-specs worked their magic and the Hotchkis sway bars keep it grounded. I still love this car.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Honestly after reading how many people have oil consumption issues and need replacement engines, im thinking of just getting a c5 corvette or save up a bit longer for a 06 c6. Seems the ls1 is more reliable and better bang for the buck. I never have anyone in back seats anyways.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry Burton
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Honestly after reading how many people have oil consumption issues and need replacement engines, im thinking of just getting a c5 corvette or save up a bit longer for a 06 c6. Seems the ls1 is more reliable and better bang for the buck. I never have anyone in back seats anyways.
Just remember that issues with cars are reported far more than the ones that never have any issues, no one makes a thread about having "no issues so far guys".
The OC problem was well documented on this forum, but no one could ever provide definitive information on what percentage of Gs were actually affected.
That being said I can't fault you for looking to buy a C5, that'll make the G coupe feel like a turd on a hot day.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Well all cars have their quirks because they're machines. Make whatever you want what you want though.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
Why? It should be easy, effortless, and second nature after so many years. I freaking love it

I do too.....but I love have an automatic daily driver.

But nothing like popping the clutch in 2nd gear and hanging the *** end of the car out sideways.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by irishsig
Just remember that issues with cars are reported far more than the ones that never have any issues, no one makes a thread about having "no issues so far guys".
The OC problem was well documented on this forum, but no one could ever provide definitive information on what percentage of Gs were actually affected.
That being said I can't fault you for looking to buy a C5, that'll make the G coupe feel like a turd on a hot day.
+100000

It all depends on the maintenance and accident history of the car (with any car), as long as you don't get a lemon or one that has some issues from the factory.

If you get a good G35, it should serve you well. If you still decide to go with the Infiniti, make sure you take a good mechanic with you to inspect the car well. No car is perfect, but the G35 is quite close .

I don't like corvette's that much, except for the last 2 gens. Anything before that looks ugly IMO. The new ones are badass though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A few questions about g35?