Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Infiniti G35 or Scion FR-S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Yeah but, when they finally do have to fend for themselves most of them are lost.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Next thing you tell me kids will start getting their college tuition paid for, health insurance off their parents policy til age 26 and basically have everything handed to them without learning how to achieve their own success in life??
I can happily say that my kids are not like that . I did have one move back in a couple of times, but now they are all in stable families and are productive people. The funny thing is, the one that gave me the most trouble, turned out to be the strictest parent. She is also the most independent of the three. She hunts, fishes, changes her own oil and brakes. I'm damn proud of her and all of them.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
LMAO....You're late to the party playa. I have coworkers that have kids in their 20's that are still on their parents health plan and parents insurance.
Same here. I have coworkers with 20-24 year old "kids" still paying their car payment and car insurance because they were "focusing" on school.

If they can't balance school and a job when they are young, they are going to have a real hard time when life gets more difficult juggling careers, family, kids, home, crappy Infiniti camshaft sensors, broken water heaters, etc etc.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I feel offended :/
21 years old, bought the G all by myself 1.5 years ago (10K) and insurance. Worked part-time for a long time to afford it. Now I'm working full time, finished school, under my own medical plan and what not. And I use to bus to school back in the day!!!
Do I get a pass on the younger generation hate ??

The following users liked this post:
Texasscout (09-01-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 02:56 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Yea you're cool Spartan. Took me a while to afford the G, as I worked for everything I own since I was 15.

Back on topic..

Originally Posted by Frankie Xenon
By "not cheap to maintain" what price point are we looking at?
You'd need to have at least $1-2k set aside for repairs in case it breaks down. Sure, youre parents can always pay for it too..

Originally Posted by Frankie Xenon
The car i was looking for was a G35 white/ivory pearl colored coupe. But i have yet to find a G35 with those colors and at the same time, under 80k mileage, especially around my area (Philadelphia). I'm hearing that after around 50k mileage, the car would start to have problems and I wouldn't have much money to spend on repairing it besides regular maintenance under 1k. Because I am a highschool student, money is going to be a problem. So im trying to find out which would be the better choice. Like stated previously, im going to save more money with the FR-S because its newer and has a better fuel economy. But accounting the fact that the FR-S would cost extra 5k compared to G35 which is 15k or lower. At the same time the used G35 would all have 50k+ mileage meanwhile the FR-S will have under 50K. I will however be working part time, and full time next summer. So probably 500 a month.
FRS is really the better choice for your situation.

Not the better car, but just better for you.

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Neither one is a good first car.

Buy a $3000 beater. Why? Because you will crash it, people will hit you. Friend's in High school will put crap on it as "pranks" and your insurance will probably be $5000/year.

However since your parents are ok with buying you a $22K car, they will probably pay your insurance as well.

Since when did buying 16-year old kids new cars become the norm?
This is even better. Get a Prelude or Celica and mod that. Those are good cars for the money, and you won't be strapped for cash when it comes to mods or repairs.

Where you been Mustang? Haven't you seen teens with their own Iphones and cars? Kids these days can never understand how simple life back then.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

honestly dude. screw it. If mommy and daddy are buying you a car, go with the G, more than likely they'll pay for insurance and your gas. lol, but ik what you mean. I'm buying a car right now too as a highschooler, the only difference is I worked two jobs over the summer and am buying my G by myself, but the G is an all around more bad *** car, which is what matters the most as a teen, right? =p

Old 09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
lol lets get one thing straight here. if you are going to come in saying mommy daddy this and that.
thats fine you work two jobs, but if you are still living at home. aka rent free, no home ins, no taxes, utility bills ect. your parents are still helping you buy a car.

side note, why does everyone think **** is so hard to work on yourself. the most expensive thing you will ever have to replace is the motor, and you can snag one up for under 1000$ throw it in a weekend and you are back on the road.

i have 140k on mine, and i drift, drag, and daily it without issues.
i would personally shoot for the g35, since it will be a much cheaper initial purchase.
the frs are really cool, but they will start to drop in price over the next few years. with new models coming out all the time. its inevitable.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Haha my bad man didn't mean to sound as douchey as I did xD I meant it, but not in a disrespectful way, ya feel me?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
jafeel.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewvk

side note, why does everyone think **** is so hard to work on yourself. the most expensive thing you will ever have to replace is the motor, and you can snag one up for under 1000$ throw it in a weekend and you are back on the road.
Working on your car depends on your mechanical skill level, knowledge, and availability of tools. On top of that, not everyone wants to work on their own car.

If you like working on your car, good for you. Not everyone does. A high-school kid may not even have the knowledge or mechanical skill to work on cars yet. Some people are also not comfortable to work on their own car and would rather leave that to a trained professional.

And yes, parts are expensive. Its not a damn Civic...

Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I do all my own work, and I mean EVERYTHING other than mounting tires, but that's just cuz that machine is huge and expensive and unnecessary. I have spent more money on maintenance than on any other car I've owned and this thing doesn't even break much. My old camaro broke every other weekend and it was still cheaper than this thing. I replaced 8 spark plugs in my grandma's Thunderbird for 1/6 of the price it costs to replace 6 plugs in the G.

Yeah, if you got the money and you love the car its not a horribly expensive car to maintain relative to your other options (BMW, C class merc, a Porsche of some sort), but relative to what a kid in highschool should be driving its a damn money pit. It's all relative, man.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 09-11-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock

Yeah, if you got the money and you love the car its not a horribly expensive car to maintain relative to your other options (BMW, C class merc, a Porsche of some sort), but relative to what a kid in highschool should be driving its a damn money put. It's all relative, man.
I agree. Compared to my C-class Benz, the G35 is dirt cheap to maintain.

However, compared to my Mustang, the G35 is expensive to maintain.

It's all relative.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
why does everyone think **** is so hard to work on yourself. the most expensive thing you will ever have to replace is the motor, and you can snag one up for under 1000$ throw it in a weekend and you are back on the road.
I'm not sure I'd minimalize a Motor replacement that much. Not everyone has the tools, mechanical a bility, and or room to do a motor swap.

When you are living off at college, parking on campus and the motor blows up and you need to study for finals, it's not like you can do the motor swap in the school parking lot.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
BRZ will take you farther.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:55 PM

I believe he was considering a fr-s, not brz. Although I love a good subie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti G35 or Scion FR-S