Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

This or that?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This or that?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and after drooling over G's and Z's for a few years, I'm finally in a position where I can make a purchase (yay for depreciation!). I've found two great options local to my area (somehow sold by the same non-Infiniti dealership) and I wanted to get some opinions on which to go for. I'm just gonna summarize each car and drop the links in case you have time to take a look,

Car 1

Asking $14,995
2006 G35 6MT - White
55,814 Miles
3 Previous Owners - all local (Oregon)
Premium w/ 19 rays

Listing:
http://www.lot99llc.com/vehicle-deta...15954e00c9731/

Carfax:
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...CV54E46M709869

Car 2

Asking $10,995
2006 G35 6MT - Black
90,791 Miles
3 Previous Owners - all out of state (Texas)
Premium w/ 19 rays

Listing:
http://www.lot99llc.com/vehicle-deta...0863cf6bd40dd/

Carfax:
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...MG_1#undefined

These cars are very similar and both seem to have had responsible previous owners. Basically what it comes down to is the price difference. Car 1 appears to be in superior condition and with low mileage but does this justify the additional cost? My instincts are telling me to go with car 1 but my wallet says to go for car 2. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
The fist car cost a little more but, it has less miles. That's the way I would go.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Somehow both of these are Sport packages with Nav, I'd say that they're decently rare. As for which one, that's all up to you. $15k is a lot for a car that is losing its value very quickly, and it also has tan interior which is a no-go for me. Looks super clean, but my God that tan is ugly. The black one is obviously higher miles, black interior (which I love) but the wingless trunk and black taillights kinda ruin it for me. Those 2 issues can be fixed on the black car easily. I'd say the black car is slightly over valued with the amount of miles it has on it, and the white is definitely over valued. But those extra 40k miles is something you'll have to make your own decision on. If you can live with the tan interior and have the extra money, I'd go with the white just because it only has 55k miles. If you want to spend a little less and still want a solid car, go with the black. Good luck and congrats on either!

Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
The Black one is the better choice. 90k miles is not a big deal if the vehicle was maintained properly, has records, and no accidents. I have an 05 with the same features, 130k miles and no issues since I keep up with all the maintenance.

The white one is over-priced. These cars are now 11yrs old. For $15k it's too high even though the mileage is low. You're out of warranty on both cars anyway. Financially the black one is the better buy. Although the white one is clean, I can't imagine spending $15k on a car that's over a decade old. You can spend the $4k on mods or just save it. (cars are terrilbe investments to begin with).

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (01-15-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Honestly, I don't get the warm and fuzzies at the thought of spending $10K or more on an 10-11 year old car with 100K miles.

If this is a second weekend car, and you have that money burning a hole in your piggy bank and you WANT that car, then by all means go for it. But I certainly couldn't finance a $10-15K car that's a decade old and feel comfortable with it because if I ever need to sell it, chances are i'll be very upside down. Both cars just seem like a financial no-no unless 1.) you pay cash, and #2) it's gong to be a weekend sort of car, stored safely in a garage where depreciation won't be as fast as if oyu parked it on a busy city street where it can get dings and hit and bumped.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Honestly, I don't get the warm and fuzzies at the thought of spending $10K or more on an 10-11 year old car with 100K miles.

If this is a second weekend car, and you have that money burning a hole in your piggy bank and you WANT that car, then by all means go for it. But I certainly couldn't finance a $10-15K car that's a decade old and feel comfortable with it because if I ever need to sell it, chances are i'll be very upside down. Both cars just seem like a financial no-no unless 1.) you pay cash, and #2) it's gong to be a weekend sort of car, stored safely in a garage where depreciation won't be as fast as if oyu parked it on a busy city street where it can get dings and hit and bumped.
Its different for everyone.

I don't think anyone is comfortable just dropping $10k + cash on a vehicle whether you have the liquid assets or not (unless you're a millionaire). Vehicles are fast depreciating assets, So if you buy it outright, that $10k is automatically less a few months later. You are better off investing that $. If a person is comfortable and financially able to finance a car responsibly, there is nothing wrong with that.

Again, its different for everyone. I could've paid cash for my 05 when I bought it but I prefer to keep that money in a appreciating account vs depreciating vehicle.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
I could've paid cash for my 05 when I bought it but I prefer to keep that money in a appreciating account vs depreciating vehicle.

But what you describe is the smart way to finance. If you can get a low interest rate and keep your money in your pocket so that you can actively invest and net a return of, say, 5%, then it makes all the sense in the world to finance in that situation

But, you are right, it's going to be different for everyone based on their own financial situation and what they can afford. But since this isn't a financial forum, no need to get into that.

I like the black car more actually..but I'd try to at least get down to $8K. Prob a stretch though

Old 01-26-2017, 02:07 PM
Agreed on the black G35. $15k for a G35 is waaay too much money.

You can get a G37S for that much instead.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:52 PM
VxG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both are overpriced...

I would choose the Black one though. Point out that interior tear in the backseat of the passenger to try and get some money off. It's sort of a common issue... And can be fixed with super glue... But they don't know that... The flat fender things underneath are also missing. But for $10k... I would just keep looking.

I bought my 04 'G for $10k with all of the packages, black interior/ext, manual, 100% stock, 104k miles, and only 1 previous owner with a clean car fax. They also gave me some really good tires with new brake pads and rotors. It took me months to find my G like this in my area. There's usually just silver with tan interiors and auto's... If there's no Brembo's on it, then it isn't worth more than $7k was my rule of thumb.

I personally would just keep looking. Like I said, it took me months to find mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.