Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Evo to G35 Coupe?.. Advice please

Old 11-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo to G35 Coupe?.. Advice please

Hi all, I'm new to the G35 scene or potentially trying to be, I'm not new to forums however but anyways...

I owned a 11 second 04 Evolution.. unfortunetly I believe I may have totaled it... I'm just very frustrated right now, reasons is I was running summer tires but not driving in snow just cold pouring rain.. caused me to hydroplane off the road.. 2 days before thanksgiving.. 7-8 k invested lost.. I even had scheduled to go for swap out for my pilots saturday...

I'm considering purchasing a G35 Coupe 6MT w/ Navigation, took a look at a dealer today and wow was I amazed it was beautiful.

I'm looking for a nice sporty car that I can leave the engine stock and go for the visual side.. beside the Evolution wasn't designed nicely on the interior but wow.. it was a beast.. nothing could out perform it.

If any of you owners could please shed some light on me about the G35... my main concern is driving the car in the winter time. How does this thing handle in the snow, I've obviously searched but I've heard alot of negative reviews but I want to acknowledge my own thread to listen to others.

I live in New England and we get plenty of snow here.. we haven't had much yet but I know it hits hard late into the winter season.

I would just like to say I got an awesome deal from an Infiniti dealership for this car right now since it is the time of the year most people are not looking for a RWD sports coupe.. but once I seen the car I really fell in love all over again, I'm not interested in purchasing another Evolution because that car just temps me into modifying it and I need to settle down and buy a house.

The salesman was being honest and told me this car is not a good winter car and it even has trouble handling in heavy rain is this true? Who know's better than an actual owner right.

My previous Evolution handled snow excellent, it is awd but with michelin pilots it never slipped once in the snow and never got stuck. I drove that thing in 1-2-3-4 feet of snow.. it did hurt my body kit tho.

I'm considering G35 Coupe, IS 300, IS 250 right now.. I'm sure if you guys are going to tell me the G35 doesnt do well.. the lexus won't either since they are all RWD but I have never owned a RWD before.

Thanks for any comments.

Also the OEM cd player doesn't look like it could be swapped with an aftermarket one can it?... I mean without customizing it..

Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 AM
that was such a long post that I couldn't read it all. Blame it on add these days, but basing it on your title, I say G35. Unless you want pure speed, get the evo.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:11 AM
I'm sorry about the long post, I owned an Evo and lost the car so now I'm looking at the G.. performance.. im sick of performance right now and looking at the sweeter things in life.. luxury.

The beginning I'm just whining about my car.. but the most important thing I'm trying to ask is this thing driving in the snow.. its a main concern and I've read alot of bad reviews on G35 forums so.. wanted more to read about.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
actually IMO it handles very well in the rain iono i cant compair it to a evo but no problems here. i'm sure other members will agree with me on this

as for snow.. as far as previous threads stated.. its a nono but i've never driven it in snow so i'll let other members with personal experience tell you

Old 11-28-2005, 02:00 AM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can change the head unit...you just have to order a special Double Din Unit for it. I live in Socal so I can't tell you about my experiences of the G in the snow...but I think other members on this board just slap on some winter tires, and it handles decent.

If I were you, the biggest concern I'd have would be speed. The G is kinda slow compared to a modded Evo.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:20 AM
O.. believe me.. I've had it with speed.

I really like how the G looks.. I wish I lived on the west coast so I could enjoy having a nice sports car without dealing with winter..

I'm not complaining about the snow being unsafe (never had an accident in snow knock on wood). The salt, sand, black ice is what I'm worrying about.

If I buy a G it will be my first RWD car, I'm young but mature and a very experienced driver.. atleast on the track but I'm throwing in the towel and want something that will help me forget about my peformance cars but that doesn't mean I want a civic.. I still want something nice, a G or IS would suit me very well but to me the G just looks better.

My AWD Evo was amazing in snow... I'm not even going to mention how fast I cruise in snow with it.. ofcourse if I do end up buying the G I will be very very cautious.

Is there something different about RWD.. I mean as in driving.. or is just like FWD, AWD.. i really hate FWD.. it sucks.

I don't know if the G is right for me then... I mean I wrecked this car around the holiday season which leaves me in a budget to go and grab a new car like the G and still have a fun Christmas.. not to forget I'll have to purchase winter tires too.. I do still have my Evo winter tires which are Michelin Pilots only used for 1 winter.. you think it will work on the G?

I believe the tire size is 235/45-17 I noticed the G35 uses a little different in size would it matter?

Last edited by 2Evolved; 11-28-2005 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Rollin On Dubz
FWD is absolutely terrible, I agree. Back in '03 I was this close to getting a nice Honda Accord v6 coupe....but the minute I drove it I was like F*CK THIS! Decided to pony up the extra cash on the g35.

I've never owned an AWD car, but I'm very happy with RWD. II didn't really understand your question, but if you're asking the difference between FWD and RWD....It's night and day.

Go test drive the G...see if you like it.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Your right.. I should go test driving it's the only way to know if I like the feel of RWD since "looking" at it already passed my credentials so high I don't even want to consider the lexus is250.

yah if my questions don't make sense don't mind me, I'm just way tired thinking about this stuff including work and training I'm going for this week all along I'm a driving a rental car which is a mazda6 sucks big time, cannot stand fwd...

Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and I chose to never drive my G35 in the snow.. so I bought a truck for winter driving.

With the OEM Pilotsports, don't even attempt to drive it in the snow or ice though. Anytime the weather gets below 28 or so degrees... the tires spin like crazy on dry pavement. Sometimes the tires will spin for a second when downshifting into 3rd gear on a 25 degree night at about 40 MPH.

I've heard that it's a decent winter car if you put some good snow tires on it though... but I don't want to put my car through the abuse of winters in New England(salt, potholes, snow, road-debris, daily cold starts, etc), so I bought the 4x4 truck as a winter vehicle.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I would recomend the dunlop m3 winter sports. They give really good traction in the snow. I just had to deal with them a few days ago when we got snow in New Hampshire. I almost want to say they grip better then a front wheel drive car. I do have the G35 sedan but im not sure if theres a big different in traction between the too i could be wrong. I also put some sand bags in the trunk to add the the weight. good luck with your shopping man.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:57 AM
tell me about it.... well I have Evo snow tires I wonder if they will the G35.. they seem very close to numbers but maybe I can post something in the wheel and tire section to be sure to save me some money.

I don't have the money and space for a second car right now and I'm trying to buy a nice sports coupe to suit my needs leaving it OEM and plan to purchase a house in about 3 years.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Great to hear more from Northeast owners now.. I really want this car and I want this car as a winter driving one as well.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah i mean if the weather gets really bad out i just wouldnt go driving. I mean new england weather gets bad but it usually doesnt last too long. (hah nock on wood)

Old 11-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 03silverG
new england weather gets bad but it usually doesnt last too long. (hah nock on wood)
December to late March isn't that long?

Old 11-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Yah New England worst part.. it hits hard late...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo to G35 Coupe?.. Advice please