Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

Comparison- '05 G35 Coupe 6MT vs '06 Accord Coupe 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparison- '05 G35 Coupe 6MT vs '06 Accord Coupe 6MT

Please don't laugh, and allow me to explain..

I know that in some ways, there is no comparison. First the obvious- G35 looks better, is a bit quicker, handles completely differently, and is rear-drive. Did I mention it's gorgeous? Now for the not-so-obvious..

I'm a Honda guy. I'm on my 4th one. I appreciate the engineering, the high attention to detail, the fit and finish, the reliability, the ergonomics, the resale value and the cost of ownership. They're as good as you treat them.

Both cars (New Accord and used G35, similar options) float between $25-29k. They're both 2-door, GT coupes, V6 power, 6-speed trannies, comparably quick, comparable features, and comparable resale value.

I know the purpose of the cars are a little different, where one is 'look at me and hear me sing' as where the other is incognito and sensible. But for those that own a G35, and have modest income, typical responsibilities and goals, would you say that the cost of ownership is worth it? Looking back, would you go for a car that is potentially cheaper at the purchase and cheaper in the long haul? When I see a black G35 in traffic I get all warm and fuzzy, but I can't help to cringe at the thought of replacing those 19' tires every other year..

I'm interested in your thoughts. Seems like an easy choice for many I'm sure, but I think the more you compare the G35 to cars like the aformentioned one, it becomes more of a coin toss.

Thanks and cheers,
Justin

Old 01-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Sorry, there is no comparison form that "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:34 PM
If you can comfortably afford the G35 with maintenance, I would choose it over an Accord. Performance maybe similar but the appearance of the G35 is day vs night over the Accord.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am a Honda fan too as I've only owned them since I started driving. I had an 82 and a 92 Prelude which were both excellent cars. I too was looking at the new Accords and drove the 6cyl. coupe. I liked the car as the interior was crisp and the exterior is not bad, just plain. It didn't have the WOW feeling when I drove it though, probably because it was an Accord

In the last month and a half since I owned the G I have completely forgotten about my roots. I have not once looked back.

According to one of the magazines (I think Consumer Reports) the G35 is one of the cars that are on the list of having a low total cost of ownership. The regular maintenance is not going to be much more, if any more than the Accord will be.

I do however understand what you are referring to as far as the 19" wheels are concerned. I am having somewhat of the same dilemma. I love the way the 19" wheels look and eventually I will go the route of changing the wheels but not until I'm further into paying on the car or I get tired of the way it looks now.
For the price range that you are looking I would imagine you had your eyes on 04 models which come stock with 18" wheels though, not the 19" split spoke design.

What are other items that you are concerned about in the decision?

If it is only the 19" tires I say go for the G35 and just expect it. Especially if you have a passion for driving something that is not at every red light, has stunning looks, and makes you giddy like a school girl every time you get in it to go somewhere.

You won't regret it.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you when I was car shopping I was between the G35 and the Honda Accord v6 Coupe.

The Honda had a very nice interior and leather, not to mention real sweet navigation. But the minute I took it out for a test drive....I couldn't wait to get the hell out of it....I couldn't stand the handling. Paid the extra for the g35.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
workin...

one other thing to think about, you'll eat more depreciation with an '06 accord than an '05 g35

Old 01-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys for being honest. Very good point about eating depreciation on the Accord. I'm actually looking at getting an '05 6MT by year's end.

Another point worth mentioning- If a new G35 actually arrives by year's end, AND looks nearly as good as the concept car released in Detroit, I'll happily go for the '05 G35.

My reasoning is that believe it or not, 6 months ago I was considering a late-model Miata, and throwing in the turbo goodies, etc. I predicted that when the new MX5 came out, the 2nd Gen Miata would be very affordable. Go to any dealership now and you'll see tags that say '$5000 off MSRP' on '05s. And you know that's negotiable. Ultimately I had to kill that plan because I forgot I have a fiance, and one day she'll want a little one- No Miata.

I just hope the new G35 is competitively priced and under $45k. If that happens, maybe I can score a low mileage '05 for less than $27k.

One thing that actually attracted me to the Accord was in fact its lack of pizzaz. I live in a condo, but around other apartments. Nothing would kill me more than to walk out and find headlights missing, or a missing muffler, etc. That's gonna happen eitherway if an idiot really wants something, but no one will touch an Accord. Food for thought.. I don't live on the hill..

Thanks for all your input!

jm

Old 01-10-2006, 10:47 AM
It might be hard to get a low mile '05 coupe for $27k 6 months from now. To find one in good condition with low miles, I would say closer to $30k. Also, an Accord, although they are more common will more likely be vandalized.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
I too came from three Hondas. Before that, two Nissans. So I was coming back to Nissan after ten years of Hondas. The performance and the fact that the G35 is a rear wheel drive sports car is what kept me leaning toward the G versus the Accord.

Besides, the Accord couldn't compare to the '98 and '99 Preludes I had. I wanted a sports car. The G was it. Nothing came close. The comparable 3 Series (330 coupe) was +40K to get the equivalent performance/accoutrements of the G.

Don't expect much depriciation on the G's either. Kiplinger rated them as the best resale after 4 years of ownership. These vehicles hold their value. Another reason I went for it!

Old 01-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned
no comparison, the accord is a FWD sportY coupe. The G35 is a sports/luxury car

Old 01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
no comparison, the accord is a FWD sportY coupe. The G35 is a sports/luxury car
Not trying to be argumentative but what makes G35 an "luxury" car? what does G35 have that you cant get on the Accord?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Please don't laugh, and allow me to explain..

I know that in some ways, there is no comparison. First the obvious- G35 looks better, is a bit quicker, handles completely differently, and is rear-drive. Did I mention it's gorgeous? Now for the not-so-obvious..
Well, those are the deciding factors, especially the looks, while there are plenty of the Accord around every corner, but the G are still somewhat of rarity.

Both cars (New Accord and used G35, similar options) float between $25-29k. They're both 2-door, GT coupes, V6 power, 6-speed trannies, comparably quick, comparable features, and comparable resale value.
You might have hard time finding 05 G35 coupe for less than 31k, with most of them are asking around 33.5k. very doubtful G35 will drop 4~5 thousand in 6 months, the 04s are around 28.5k now, with most of them are asking around 31k.

I know the purpose of the cars are a little different, where one is 'look at me and hear me sing' as where the other is incognito and sensible. But for those that own a G35, and have modest income, typical responsibilities and goals, would you say that the cost of ownership is worth it? Looking back, would you go for a car that is potentially cheaper at the purchase and cheaper in the long haul? When I see a black G35 in traffic I get all warm and fuzzy, but I can't help to cringe at the thought of replacing those 19' tires every other year..
Yes, to replace those 19's arent cheap, higher gas consumptions and possibly the short life span of the brake pads and rotors, undoubtedly a deal breaker for someone with limit budget. If you dont need a back seat? may I suggest the 350Z?

Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Widdle ya into kindling
I thought the Accord was the best value out there until Subaru came out with their new Legacy 2.5 GT. Everything the Accord has with AWD. I would buy the Subby over the Accord now.