Canada Serving Canada.

Buying a G35 in Seattle and Bring it Back to Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did a quick google search and found this document:
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

It looks like Nissan/Infiniti can be imported without bumpers. Only a few cars on the list had the ** beside them and needed bumpers.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:54 AM
I've been looking at this lately as well since I find the US-Canada discrepency for the G35 coupe bordering on the insane.
  • Lexus IS is about 24% more
  • BMW 3-coupe is about 32% more
  • G35 coupe is off the scale with about 40% more (that is after sorting out the model differences)

But the market will allow what the consumers will pay. Frankly I'm not one of them so I'm looking south. Someone I know recently brought in a Porsche for this reason and saved 30-40K (was a 4S).

The numbers I have match what sean_mcnair has been saying. About a 8-9K difference all told. The only thing stopping me is the warranty and what BBY_G35 has said it looks like nissan/infiniti is trying to nip this in the bud. Since he is the only person I have heard of who has actually done this with a nissan/infiniti I'd like to know more about his experience and whether or not his car is going to be under warranty.

Do you get the recall clearance from the US dealership?

Old 05-28-2006, 11:06 PM
The total cost for mods required to get my 2006 350Z US model into Canadian compliance = $250 + $72 Prov inspection = $322 plus tax.
Other things that RIV stipulated were: child seat tether anchor point, air bag warning label in French & English -- both were already installed.
Oh, and also... the RIV fee was not $295... it was $209 (for those who didn't read my earlier post).

No speedo cluster required as long as analog speed in dual reading scale (which they have been on most cars since the early 90's). This applies to almost all Nissan/Infiniti products as sean_mcnair already pointed out -- See RIV's website for import car requirements.

So I'm not sure where you get you $3500 figure from.

BTW... my car was registered in the US for 7 months before importing.. so I think I just ducked that one. Also I obtained the "Recall Clearance Letter" by calling Nissan USA (toll free no. in the owners manual) - It was faxed to me within a day.

Last edited by BbyG35; 05-29-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:15 PM
All information I have is completely anecdotal, and probably doesn't add much to the thread, but I'll throw it up here anyway

I've been thinking about an S2000 as weekend toy/project car, so I frequent the S2000 boards alot. A guy there bought a brand new S2000 and brought it back to Canada, and ended up saving a claimed $7K. Keep in mind this was a while ago when our dollar was not as strong. When asked about warranty, he said he loses it, but he figures it's okay given the track record of that car in terms of reliability.

I don't think I'll be be buying new, so I'll be less concerned about warranty. I'll definitely look south when I'm ready to buy my used project car. Hopefully the disparity holds (or even increases) as cars age in the U.S.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Well... I'm not trying to jack this thread but can I just ask a quick question to you all ?

When I looked on the buysell.com or other used cars price, U.S cars were 4-9grand cheaper than similar local car(milege,model,year,etc).
When I say U.S cars, I mean S2K,Z3M and Carrera imported to B.C from California.

Is it cheaper just becuz people pay less in U.S ? or are there other variances?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by freezeepopprice
I've been looking at this lately as well since I find the US-Canada discrepency for the G35 coupe bordering on the insane.
  • Lexus IS is about 24% more
  • BMW 3-coupe is about 32% more
  • G35 coupe is off the scale with about 40% more (that is after sorting out the model differences)

But the market will allow what the consumers will pay. Frankly I'm not one of them so I'm looking south. Someone I know recently brought in a Porsche for this reason and saved 30-40K (was a 4S).

The numbers I have match what sean_mcnair has been saying. About a 8-9K difference all told. The only thing stopping me is the warranty and what BBY_G35 has said it looks like nissan/infiniti is trying to nip this in the bud. Since he is the only person I have heard of who has actually done this with a nissan/infiniti I'd like to know more about his experience and whether or not his car is going to be under warranty.

Do you get the recall clearance from the US dealership?
I have to agree. The differences are shocking. I'm not closely tuned to the currency exchange in Japan vs. Canada and US but it just seems too far out of wack.

I spoke to a friend a few weeks ago who is the sales manager at our local Porsche dealer about this and he hinted prices in Canada were going to be adjusted very soon but not likely by anywhere near enough.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:36 PM
I was thinking about buying a used G35 from the states because they had more color selection, however I've bought a S2K instead. With total amount compared to local price, I save around $5000. It's not TOO much, but I get the color I want and relatively new car. I've quoted G35C, S2K and STi. The best bang for your dollar to buy south is S2K *NEW*. You save around $10,000. Just do a normal price from honda.ca and honda.com.

With a G35 it's not a BIG difference but for used car, its nice to be able to have more choice in color. I've also posted a similar thread a year ago and Infiniti said the warrenty was transferable.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by psychoblur
I was thinking about buying a used G35 from the states because they had more color selection, however I've bought a S2K instead. With total amount compared to local price, I save around $5000. It's not TOO much, but I get the color I want and relatively new car. I've quoted G35C, S2K and STi. The best bang for your dollar to buy south is S2K *NEW*. You save around $10,000. Just do a normal price from honda.ca and honda.com.

With a G35 it's not a BIG difference but for used car, its nice to be able to have more choice in color. I've also posted a similar thread a year ago and Infiniti said the warrenty was transferable.

What extra colour choices are there in the US?

From what I've researched the difference in price for a G is not far off the difference you mention for the S2000.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Esoteric
I've been thinking about an S2000 as weekend toy/project car, so I frequent the S2000 boards alot. A guy there bought a brand new S2000 and brought it back to Canada, and ended up saving a claimed $7K.
The Toronto subforum? What a clusterf*!

Old 06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
LOL.... true say true say...

Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 AM
I knew there would be someone here who frequented the S2K boards as well! I don't frequent the subforum very much, just the main forums

I can't wait to get one though. Those cars are a blast to drive.

Originally Posted by Balzz
The Toronto subforum? What a clusterf*!

Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by RBull
What extra colour choices are there in the US?

From what I've researched the difference in price for a G is not far off the difference you mention for the S2000.
I'm mainly talking about used cars. There isn't much color selection say in the west to choose from. Especiall where I LOVE the IP color. As for the price difference, I believe you are about right. But with the added components you would have to change to the car it adds a bit I think.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing I can add here is that my next car will almost certainly be bought in the US. This 40% difference business is nothing less than insulting.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Update - Porsche and Ferrari have both just announced that as of now no cars imported from the US to Canada will be eligable for any warranty work, and it's retroactive on all current cars in Canada that have been imported from the US. I believe it will only be a matter of time before all manufacturers issue a similar statement.

My personal feeling on this is that it's total BS. Car companies make a killing in the Canadian market based on their 30 year old import fees and exchange rates and now they're forcing people to buy the same car for anywhere from 25-50% more when the exchange is now at 1.101.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by picus112
Update - Porsche and Ferrari have both just announced that as of now no cars imported from the US to Canada will be eligable for any warranty work, and it's retroactive on all current cars in Canada that have been imported from the US. I believe it will only be a matter of time before all manufacturers issue a similar statement.

My personal feeling on this is that it's total BS. Car companies make a killing in the Canadian market based on their 30 year old import fees and exchange rates and now they're forcing people to buy the same car for anywhere from 25-50% more when the exchange is now at 1.101.

That's not surprising the auto manufacturers have locked on to that. They close every option for people saving money to maintain their exorbitant Canadian margins.
You're exactly right about it being BS Kevin. If someone had the money and time to fight it I believe they would have a good case for not allowing manufacturers to abate a warranty because a car crossed the border. What is the reasoning beyond pure greed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a G35 in Seattle and Bring it Back to Canada