Canada Serving Canada.

Hwy 404 & DVP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Hwy 404 & DVP

After having to commute on this stretch recently...what's with this highway?

The HOV lane pushes us single riders down further and the way they made the 401 exit allows some of the southbound traffic to cut into this exit to re-enter the DVP further down. Plus you get a lot of people going in and out of the HOV lanes illegally (crossing the wide double solid lines).

So I noticed everyone trying to get into the 401 exit lanes at the last moment and to re-surface from the on ramp meant for Sheppard.

Result: Wait.

I won't go into the 401 Eastbound on ramp to the 404 north...that's another mystery.

I think it's a TTC plot to force more users to use public transit so they can strike and make more of an impact.

Go train is looking a lot better these days but the service times are silly for the Richmond Hill line. Who get's off work at 3:30 to catch a 4pm train? After the 5:30pm train, there's the 6:40pm train. I'm usually finished up just before 6.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear for yah bro; there are some problems with the civil engineers in Toronto; I dun see the problem as bad in Missisauga or any other major cities in Canada

Old 06-08-2006, 11:14 PM
I take Don Mills to avoid the 404 at busy times. Even at rush hour you can make good time out of downtown - then hop back on at Finch or Steeles.

Pretty rare that I have to do that now (thankfully) - work in Markham and live in Newmarket, so I have it pretty good.

The HOV lanes are a disaster where they meet the 401 coming south, and it's pretty much always slow through there. I like the idea of HOV lanes, but cut them off at Finch or something to avoid the congestion nightmare at the 401.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 AM
I avoid it like the plague.

I live in scarborough and work in woodbridge (i take the 407). So I usually just take warden north to 407 now and warden to 14th to birchmount south to come home.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 AM
it's actually even worse for those who want to get on the 401...there are those people you mentioned, plus the drivers entering from sheppard/fairview blocking the exit ramp for the 401, making people who want to exit wait for the DVP traffic...which gets pretty annoyning.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live about 2 minutes from there. Its a total disaster IMO.

I'm just waiting for someone to drive into the middle gardianas they are trying to get over to enter the 401 eastbound. Its just to confusing for most.
Its not well marked either.
You think your going 401 but all of a sudden your actually going south on
the DVP?? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i live in the west end of toronto. but i hear u. i have close access to the 401 from weston road... and it's a disaster out there as well. i'll never understand who designed that stupid single 401 exit to the 400. when everyone and their grandmother is going to the cottage that stretch of road is a complete disaster.

i also love how they've been performing construction for the last eternity out there. lots of road closed off but never any workers around. it's like the bermuda triangle for construction workers. worst part is how absolutely no one will let anyone merge from the weston /401 entrance. all i ever get is an angry line of cottagers that would saw off their right foot before they would let me onto the hwy.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know what you guys mean. It took me almost an extra 20 seconds to get across our local bottleneck on the bridge today.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RBull
I know what you guys mean. It took me almost an extra 20 seconds to get across our local bottleneck on the bridge today.
we need to slash this guys tires^^^^ shhhhh

Old 06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
LOL, Deane.....driving across your cities even at rush hour, is a treat compared to GTA....
C.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i live in the west end of toronto. but i hear u. i have close access to the 401 from weston road... and it's a disaster out there as well. i'll never understand who designed that stupid single 401 exit to the 400. when everyone and their grandmother is going to the cottage that stretch of road is a complete disaster.

i also love how they've been performing construction for the last eternity out there. lots of road closed off but never any workers around. it's like the bermuda triangle for construction workers. worst part is how absolutely no one will let anyone merge from the weston /401 entrance. all i ever get is an angry line of cottagers that would saw off their right foot before they would let me onto the hwy.
blah, construction! I love how they randomly close off parts of the hwy either:

a) without notice
b) with signs posted up of the WRONG closure
c) with signs posted about a closure, but the road isn't closed

This happens ALL the time with the 409/427N exit from the 401. I bascially have to play a guessing game there. Sometimes the collector's exit is closed, or express. They never really tell you either...so i end up having to make a detour.

speaking of the 400, does anyone feel that they should split the 8 open lanes on the highway into an express/collector configuration to prevent accidents? Having 8 lanes to watch for while driving at 100km+ seems mighty dangerous, especially if someone wants to cut 6-7 lanes to catch an exit...

Last edited by noodleman; 06-09-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Ever notice that the 4 seasons in the GTA are now.

Fall, Winter, Spring & Road Construction

seems like we never get to anymore.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Heh, last weekend I was driving up to Maple, and I went to get on the Gardiner @ Jameson and it was closed. Alright I though; I'll try Spadina; closed. Hm, ok Bay; closed. Yonge, closed, Jarvis, Sherbourne, all closed. OK OK let's try the DVP. Queen/Richmond, Dundas, Eglington, Lawrence...all closed !!!!! Way late I finally took Leslie all the way up and arrived like 45 minutes late...

Bike race. On a Sunday. On two of the busiest highways in the Country. Heh.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
I hate driving into GTA from Windsor ... 401 is good until you get to the airport (Dixie) ... then it's downhill. I was in TO for a week in April and staying at my aunt's place ... instead of driving (Bayview/Finch) to College/University -- TTC. It took over 45 minutes but I could only imagine how bad it would have been taking the DVP during rush hour.

Went up to visit a friend up at DVP/16th ... it is such a mess at the 401 junction. How do you GTA people put up with that nonsense? Outside of the pollution, Windsor is so much easier to get around.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well ya, but it's Windsor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hwy 404 & DVP