Canada Serving Canada.

Life Expectancy of an Oxygen Sensor???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Life Expectancy of an Oxygen Sensor???

Anyone know the approx lifespan of an Oxygen Sensor?

I had to have mine replaced today. It was stuck open.

Bill

Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Hard to say Bill.
It's one of those things that could last for 2 years or 2 months.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You mean the one in the CATs and Headers measuring O2 content?
since our regular maintenance doesn't include replacing those items

Old 08-14-2006, 09:40 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 35bills
Anyone know the approx lifespan of an Oxygen Sensor?

I had to have mine replaced today. It was stuck open.

Bill
Yeah. depends on how good the gas is your burning, whether or not you put any additives in the gas, how well the engine is running, short trips, state of engine tune, how well the catalytic does its job, and luck......

With care and luck you'd expect them to last a few years anyway.

Bill, did you have just one replaced? I believe there are a few sensors in the exhaust pipes at different locations. If I'm not mistaken, there are 4.....
....and as you found out, they're not cheap.....or was it warranty?????

C.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2003 Maxima and the check engine light came on several times over the past four years. The first time was related to the EGR valve being stuck and something was wrong with the charcoal canister (according to the code) so they were replaced under warranty (about one year old). Then about a year ago (when the car was three years old), it happened again and the code was the same and Nissan wanted to charge me $600+ so I went to my mechanic and he told me to just keep resetting the computer until my lease is up - BUT then I realized I have been putting in Octane 87 gas so I tried several tanks of Octane 92 and the light never came back on after one reset ... so MAYBE it's the gas causing problems with your oxygen sensors. Do you put Octane 92 gas in your M?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:39 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by indycase
I have a 2003 Maxima and the check engine light came on several times over the past four years. The first time was related to the EGR valve being stuck and something was wrong with the charcoal canister (according to the code) so they were replaced under warranty (about one year old). Then about a year ago (when the car was three years old), it happened again and the code was the same and Nissan wanted to charge me $600+ so I went to my mechanic and he told me to just keep resetting the computer until my lease is up - BUT then I realized I have been putting in Octane 87 gas so I tried several tanks of Octane 92 and the light never came back on after one reset ... so MAYBE it's the gas causing problems with your oxygen sensors. Do you put Octane 92 gas in your M?
Nought wrong with my M's O2 sensors, Stephen, but I burn 91 Octane that's recommended and it seems to be fine.
Bill's ride is an '03 Sedan, and I believe he burns premium also.

Your Max. experience is interesting and is a good example of what can happen by upgrading fuel.
Since 87 was not sufficient in the Max., did you try mid-grade to see how well it runs? .. and are you still running premium fuel, or did you return to regular grade??

C.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 AM
I was lucky that it was stil covered under warranty. I think it would have been kind of pricey$$$.

I only run Sunoco 94 in my car. Maybe it was the gas that I used while I was on vacation( Petro Can 91)?

B.

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Yeah. depends on how good the gas is your burning, whether or not you put any additives in the gas, how well the engine is running, short trips, state of engine tune, how well the catalytic does its job, and luck......

With care and luck you'd expect them to last a few years anyway.

Bill, did you have just one replaced? I believe there are a few sensors in the exhaust pipes at different locations. If I'm not mistaken, there are 4.....
....and as you found out, they're not cheap.....or was it warranty?????

C.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ all that is available here Bill is 91. Interestingly on my trip through the US I experimented on about 4 tankfuls and found I got slightly better gas mileage with 91 than 94.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Its funny, I filled up with Petro Can "94" in Montreal but like you said , its 91 only everywhere else.

Is there Sunoco in NS Deane?

While travelling through NB, my milage was fantastic. On half a tank I was getting over 410kms. I really couldn't believe it but it happened on a constant basis. ( I was keeping the speed down a little- $1.31/L for fuel...OUCH!!!!)

B.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No Sunoco's anywhere in Atlantic Canada.

Yeah that's our price here too. That sounds like great mileage. As indicated by my fuel gauage the most kms I've had reading at 1/2 was 385. On that tankful I got 34.5 mpg. I was driving steady at about 110km/hour

Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by 35bills
I was lucky that it was stil covered under warranty. I think it would have been kind of pricey$$$.

I only run Sunoco 94 in my car. Maybe it was the gas that I used while I was on vacation( Petro Can 91)?

B.

LOL, Bill I hope it wasn't Petro-Can.....that's what I use all the time and have forever with no issues.....

C.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
No Sunoco's anywhere in Atlantic Canada.

Yeah that's our price here too. That sounds like great mileage. As indicated by my fuel gauage the most kms I've had reading at 1/2 was 385. On that tankful I got 34.5 mpg. I was driving steady at about 110km/hour
Yikes Deane.......your gas has stayed high out there........ours is staying between $1.00 and $1.10 here and I thought that was bad enough...

C.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Nought wrong with my M's O2 sensors, Stephen, but I burn 91 Octane that's recommended and it seems to be fine.
Bill's ride is an '03 Sedan, and I believe he burns premium also.

Your Max. experience is interesting and is a good example of what can happen by upgrading fuel.
Since 87 was not sufficient in the Max., did you try mid-grade to see how well it runs? .. and are you still running premium fuel, or did you return to regular grade??

C.
C, I did try (and am trying) mid-grade and it hasn't caused any problems yet *crosses fingers*. I do notice a little hesitation at around 4K rpm, but not as much as when I was trying Octane 87 out - couldn't even keep up with a 1.7 EL at the light because it was like I was hitting the rev limiter at 4k rpm. Anyway, the weather is cool lately, so Octane 89 is more than fine. Though when I pick up my G in 3 weeks, I'm only putting Octane 91 in. I was just trying out different grades to see what the differences are because I read some articles about different engines responding differently to various octane levels of gasoline.

S.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indycase
C, I did try (and am trying) mid-grade and it hasn't caused any problems yet *crosses fingers*. I do notice a little hesitation at around 4K rpm, but not as much as when I was trying Octane 87 out - couldn't even keep up with a 1.7 EL at the light because it was like I was hitting the rev limiter at 4k rpm. Anyway, the weather is cool lately, so Octane 89 is more than fine. Though when I pick up my G in 3 weeks, I'm only putting Octane 91 in. I was just trying out different grades to see what the differences are because I read some articles about different engines responding differently to various octane levels of gasoline.

S.
Imo, I wouldn't dare to try anything lower than 91.....

Old 08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by godmans
Imo, I wouldn't dare to try anything lower than 91.....
Doesn't hurt to experiment a little *LOL*

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Life Expectancy of an Oxygen Sensor???