Canada Serving Canada.

Rim Repair (scratch and rash)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rim Repair (scratch and rash)

Hey guys, I just bought a set of 06 350Z rims for DIRT cheap. The catch was that the owner went over a curb so there's rash on 3 of 5 spokes on the driver side rims. But it's straight and not bent, so I took it off his hands.
The rashes are pretty deep, probably have to use some kind of filler for it just to get it level again.

Now.. 2 questions...
1. Anyone know a shop on the east/north end of GTA that does good quality repairs for good price?
2. Or is there a DIY for fixing this?

Thanks. I'll try to get some pics today.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
You could give this place a call. It's in Uxbridge.
http://www.wheelfix.com/index.htm

Old 10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
$200 to $600 Per rim... I doubt they'll give me the quote for $200 though. Ouch.

Here's some pics...(excuse camera quailty, taken from my 2.0mp phone.)
rim #1

rim #2

Close up of rim #2 on the worse damage of all.

another shot of #2

My g35 rims could use a little touch up as well on every spoke (also done by previous owner of rims, but got rims for good price as well)

Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
call Rick at Precision Rim Repair 416-665-3038. He's done a ton of work for me in the past for OEM and aftermarket wheels. He is very reasonable and excellent customer service. My wheels were black centres when I bought them. I highly recommend him.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by XuperXero
$200 to $600 Per rim... I doubt they'll give me the quote for $200 though. Ouch.
They are saying that is what your wheels are worth so it is worth your while to fix them

Quote from their Site...You paid anywhere from $200 - $600 per wheel to have the appearance and luxury of aluminium alloy, but with time they will become corroded. Protect your investment! Below you will find helpful information regarding the different types of services The Wheel Fix has to offer you. Please feel free to contact us!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
+1 for precision rim repair.

he can fix those.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for that info guys it's a bit closer for me if I ever need their services. I looked up their website here:
http://www.rim-repair.com/

Old 10-19-2006, 04:37 AM
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Chico]call Rick at Precision Rim Repair 416-665-3038. He's done a ton of work for me in the past for OEM and aftermarket wheels. He is very reasonable and excellent customer service. My wheels were black centres when I bought them. I highly recommend him.

Do not use precision under any circumstances Rick is absolutely fluent in BS. He has totally destroyed my O.Z. operas by instead of welding and straighten properly he decided to take the short cuts and shave material off until they were straight. Now i have rims that bend for any impact. He completely finished/destroyed my rims last year and when i looked at the clear coat i saw fish eyes from dust in the paint. He tried telling me it is from the aluminum and it is normal.

Wheel fix is much better and they pick up the rims from you. From now on i am paying shipping and waiting a week or so to get them shipped and returned. The best shop i ever saw was in Atlanta Georgia wheelwizards.com . They make others look like a joke , they even have an over and use an epoxy coating to finish a rim on the barrel to ensure no leaks. Try getting that here.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up skperformance. From you experience , I think I will stay away if I need that type of service. Sounds like Wheel Fix will get my business if ever required since I have heard only good reports on them.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
There is also Carcone On Bloomington Rd between Yonge & 404.

No personal experience with them but I know Steelcase Tire sends work to them.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=SKperformance]
Originally Posted by Chico
call Rick at Precision Rim Repair 416-665-3038. He's done a ton of work for me in the past for OEM and aftermarket wheels. He is very reasonable and excellent customer service. My wheels were black centres when I bought them. I highly recommend him.

Do not use precision under any circumstances Rick is absolutely fluent in BS. He has totally destroyed my O.Z. operas by instead of welding and straighten properly he decided to take the short cuts and shave material off until they were straight. Now i have rims that bend for any impact. He completely finished/destroyed my rims last year and when i looked at the clear coat i saw fish eyes from dust in the paint. He tried telling me it is from the aluminum and it is normal.

Wheel fix is much better and they pick up the rims from you. From now on i am paying shipping and waiting a week or so to get them shipped and returned. The best shop i ever saw was in Atlanta Georgia wheelwizards.com . They make others look like a joke , they even have an over and use an epoxy coating to finish a rim on the barrel to ensure no leaks. Try getting that here.
it really sucks you had a bad experience. I can only speak from my own experiences and quality of work.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 AM
I know what you are saying Chico. On refinishing a rim is is a much easier task than repairing a rim. He took short cuts when he knew he had to weld them the first time to fix them properly. It is now 6 months later and the clear coat is now peeling off 2 of the 4 wheels.

What i also forgot to add was 1 day after repairing the rims for the second time this summer i had a flat. It was not from a nail or other road hazard but by Rick's own admission he forgot to leak test them before giving them back. So his welds had opened up and leaked on the barrel.