Canada Serving Canada.

anyway to check license plate info?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:43 PM
|
Unhappy anyway to check license plate info?

hi there everyone. got a small dilemma.

went to the mall yesterday... came out an hour later and my front bumper is all scratched to he11. fortunately, someone left a piece of paper on my windshield that read: "saw who hit u. plate # blah-blah." unfortunately, that's all i got.

got an estimate on the damage. will have to be re-painted... $485 total cost, but i found one guy who will do it for 300$cash. i called the collision report center and my insurance provider. they say not much can be done without a solid witness.

my aunt used to work at the ministry of transport and had access to all this info, but she's had health problems this passed year and no longer works there. if there's anyone who can get info from plates (or knows how) please pm me. i would like to get a hold of this hit and run loser and see if they will help me out on the cost of my repair. i'm a fair and flexible person... but people like this really burn me.

thanks a bundle.

-rj

Old 01-15-2007 | 12:55 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
WOW... you too
There sure seems to be a lot of this going on lately.

Sorry for your troubles...
IIRC there have been some posts about finding plate info....
but this O.F. brain isn't kicking in.

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:24 PM
why not just pass the info on to the police? They'll pay the person a visit. More than likely you're going to be paying for the damage yourself as your deductible is likely higher than the repair bill.

At least you'll nail the idiot with a hit and run. You could also get a shot at them in small claims if you find out their personal info.

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:27 PM
|
yeah... i tried running a search... but all i really get is license plate covers.

the 300 bucks isn't that big of a deal to me... but it's just the principal of the whole thing. i wish the person who left the paper also left some contact info. it sucks that even with someone going out of there way in helping me, i still can't get anywhere with the police or insurance people.

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by akrus
why not just pass the info on to the police? They'll pay the person a visit. More than likely you're going to be paying for the damage yourself as your deductible is likely higher than the repair bill.

At least you'll nail the idiot with a hit and run. You could also get a shot at them in small claims if you find out their personal info.
they won't help me without a witness. i've already called. with a witness, it would be the other person's insurance covering my deductible. looks like with just a plate number... no one wants to help. maybe if they ran me over the police would take more action.

to be honest i don't really blame them. it's more of a nuisance than anything else. i just wish i could get this person's contact info and get a hold of them. so close... yet, so far.

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:35 PM
if this happend in the mall, wouldnt there be cameras?

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:37 PM
That sucks big time. Come to think of it, when my truck was broken into (thieves tried to hotwire it), the cops didn't even want to come out and see it. They just gave me an incident number and told me to rub salt (or something like that... )

Sure does suck, sorry you're a victim of this crap.

Old 01-15-2007 | 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Godfather
if this happend in the mall, wouldnt there be cameras?
another problem with it being in a mall is that the highway traffic act doesn't apply so the person would probably get charged with vandalism and a small fine.

Old 01-15-2007 | 02:52 PM
You are going to be on the hook for this one because the person who witnessed it didn't leave their name for the police to confirm. It will be classified as a hit and run for your insurance and your collision deductible would apply. Your rates will not be affected by this though.
I see this all the time and it is frustrating.
Matt

Old 01-15-2007 | 02:54 PM
Go to the registry they will give you the information. Just tell them you got hit and you need the guys info to file claim.

Old 01-15-2007 | 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
yeah... i tried running a search... but all i really get is license plate covers.

the 300 bucks isn't that big of a deal to me... but it's just the principal of the whole thing. i wish the person who left the paper also left some contact info. it sucks that even with someone going out of there way in helping me, i still can't get anywhere with the police or insurance people.

Report it to the police and ask for the contact information. I think you can do that. Go to the guy and tell him that you have a witness and will escalade the situation if he doesn't pay up cash. Tell him that you will not report it to the police and insurance company if he pays cash. Get 400$ off of him (keep 100$ for yourself). If he says you are bluffing, then say, "well then how did I get your license plate number? By a witness!"

If he says he wants to see proof for the bill of the damage then provide him proof. But go to a auto body repair shop that your friend owns. Tell him to give you a higher estimate of damages so you can get extra side cash money . Of course this is fraud... but the guy did a hit n run. It's his time to pay!

Last edited by TheForgottenMan; 01-15-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2007 | 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Go to the registry they will give you the information. Just tell them you got hit and you need the guys info to file claim.

+1, correct.

Old 01-15-2007 | 03:05 PM
I don't know if they will give you the info on the other party up here in Canada by giving them a licence plate. They will probably tell you to phone the police. What's to stop you from taking anyone's licence plate # in and getting their personal info.
Can't see it happening

Old 01-15-2007 | 03:12 PM
|
Originally Posted by dubbletrubble
I don't know if they will give you the info on the other party up here in Canada by giving them a licence plate. They will probably tell you to phone the police. What's to stop you from taking anyone's licence plate # in and getting their personal info.
Can't see it happening
^^this is correct. ministry will not disclose the information. i phoned the collision center... and they told me that without a witness, there's not much that can be done. it would be my word against theirs. it's times like these when i wish my aunt still worked at the ministry.

to be honest, i don't even care if the person gave me any money at the end or not... it would just make me feel better to call them out on the accident and rant in their ear a bit. i just can't stand people with a total disregard to other's property.

Old 01-15-2007 | 03:17 PM
I get at least one call a week from clients that have come out of the mall and there is a dent in their vehicle.
People are ignorant and don't take responsibility for their actions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anyway to check license plate info?