Canada Serving Canada.

Near accident this morning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 09:28 AM
|
Near accident this morning!

Holy crap, I nearly bent up the G this morning. Cruising down 58th Ave on my way to work, in the right lane of two lanes, and there's a pickup or something in the left lane, stopped and signalling to turn left. At about 50-60k I proceed through the intersection and WHOA! a minivan decides to turn left right on front of me! And STOP. I hammer the brakes but .02 seconds later I realize I'm not going to stop in time. Hard right, hard left, I slalom around the front of the van like a it's big frickin pylon. Thank God for sport suspension. Now it's about 40 minutes later and the last of the adrenalin is *almost* out of my system.

What a way to start the week. Could be worse, I guess, I could have hit the van and still been sitting there looking at a smashed-up front-end.

Old 04-09-2007 | 09:52 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by SwivelMan
Holy crap, I nearly bent up the G this morning. Cruising down 58th Ave on my way to work, in the right lane of two lanes, and there's a pickup or something in the left lane, stopped and signalling to turn left. At about 50-60k I proceed through the intersection and WHOA! a minivan decides to turn left right on front of me! And STOP. I hammer the brakes but .02 seconds later I realize I'm not going to stop in time. Hard right, hard left, I slalom around the front of the van like a it's big frickin pylon. Thank God for sport suspension. Now it's about 40 minutes later and the last of the adrenalin is *almost* out of my system.

What a way to start the week. Could be worse, I guess, I could have hit the van and still been sitting there looking at a smashed-up front-end.
Holy crap... hope you brought a spare pair of shorts with you.

BTW... great evasive driving.

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:02 AM
Traveling Administrator
Damn, glad to hear you are alright! Great job with the maneuvering!

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:04 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Good moves, Wayne.....It pays to be on the alert all the time these days--There's usually someone doing something stupid......

Kudos

Colin

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:26 AM
I can see they don't call you Swivel for nothing. Glad you made it through the intersection and had time to calm down. The van probably thinks You're the bad driver. Go figure.

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:53 AM
|
Thanks, fellas. Just glad my baby is still all in one piece, though I'm a little afraid to look in my trunk and see the condition of the two computer monitors I have in there. Good thing they're just going to the e-cycling depot after work...

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Good moves, Wayne.....It pays to be on the alert all the time these days--There's usually someone doing something stupid......

Kudos

Colin
You know it, Colin. Many years of motorcycle riding taught me to assume the other driver will do the stupidest possible thing at the worst possible moment.

Last edited by Swivel; 04-09-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2007 | 12:11 PM
Glad to hear you're ok

Old 04-09-2007 | 12:16 PM
+1, glad u and your car are ok, accidents are always a PITA, it wastes everyone's time and $.

Old 04-09-2007 | 01:57 PM
PDT
Great defensive driving and glad to hear that you are okay.

I had something similar happen to me on Friday. This lady in a minivan decided to make a left without looking my way. I slammed on my brakes and just stopped inches away from the van.

Old 04-09-2007 | 03:25 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Great driving and accident avoidance. It's tough to steer away from an object in your way but you obviously looked for the opening instead of the obstacle.

Last edited by RBull; 04-09-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2007 | 04:35 PM
glad to hear you and your G are ok....ppl still seem to amaze me on how poor their driving skills are...im younger than most of those on the road yet it looks like the older people are the ones making ridiculous mistakes

Old 04-09-2007 | 06:43 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Gam3
glad to hear you and your G are ok....ppl still seem to amaze me on how poor their driving skills are...im younger than most of those on the road yet it looks like the older people are the ones making ridiculous mistakes
That would make sense if you're one of the youngest on the road and most people are older.

Old 04-14-2007 | 11:56 PM
Well done sir. Well, since I picked up my new G on October 23, I have been hit from behind once (slow impact at 2mph, no damage whatsoever, but the other driver was asleep...in a traffic jam...go figure).

Also I have had a few near misses with people turning left right in front of me (did a similar maneuver as you did) and I hate people who do not signal when turning or changing lanes!!!.

I guess living in the GTA has its disadvantages...

Safe driving, everyone!

Old 04-15-2007 | 12:26 AM
Assuming that the MINI van won't stop, shouldn't you have done the "hard left" and "hard right" instead? imagine if the van kept on going and you just made a "hard right" right into its trajectory?

Afterall, glad to hear that you are okay

Old 04-15-2007 | 10:39 AM
|
"Hard right" is just where the hole was, it would have been a longer trip around the back, and by this time the van had stopped. And luckily, it stayed stopped. I just went on instinct. Also fortunately, those junk monitors didn't prang up my trunk at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Near accident this morning!