Canada Serving Canada.

Hawk HPS Pads and MOTUL RBF 600 Racing brake fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDT,

Still waiting for Mike's call back but he was super busy yesterday so i'll cut him some slack.

smahara,

Thanks for the PM with the number for Gilmans. I have also emailed the distributor in Markham for Motul so hopefully I can get this car put together by next week.

BTW have I mentioned this has to be the best Canadian section of any forum I have been on. Wish we had a better one on ClubLexus but then again I don't own a Lexus anymore.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Ok deleted my last post since Mike @ Derry Road Service & Per4mance can't get me the Hawk Pads today.

So I am getting the EBC Red Stuff @ $140 for each set or $280 for all 4 wheels. I've already committed to this so I can't change my mind but do you all think this price is reasonable?

He doesn't recommend the MOTUL RBF 600 for an everyday driver but the MOTUL 5.1 is a good upgrade from the factory dot 4 that Infiniti uses.

Anyways as always your input would be most appreciated so that I feel better about spending my money..

Ken

Old 08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Price is reasonable.

I got my HPS for $95, and my HP+ for $130 (Although Simone quoted me $120).
EBC is good brand. My friend's running EBC Greens on his Brembos, and has no complaints at all.

As for RBF600, it's good investment if you go to track and make a habit of changing the brake fluid once a year. I read some bad things about 5.1 though being silicone based...

Old 08-16-2007, 01:17 AM
PDT,

Went and saw Mike at Derry Per4mance and bought the Pads. He however got me EBC Red Stuff 350Z Non Brembo for the front and EBC Green Stuff G35 Non Brembo for the rear. The latter from what he tells me is better for no squeeking.

I'm sure the 350Z pads will work on the G but to be honest Mike gives me a very bad vibe. With that said I won't be letting him do my brake job and his price of $600 for the install sucks too. Gonna get it done for half of that at D Tech in Brampton. He has done my Lexus in the past and my Dad's Acura & Benz.

Anyways if someone can chime in and tell me if running RED up front and GREEN in the rear will cause me any issues then I will go and get my money back and start this process over again.

As for the MOTUL I did more reading and I agree with you XuperZero that I should stay away from the Motul 5.1. Much appreciate the heads up on that. I might just stay with the factory DOT 3 which is in the car since I don't have any intentions of flushing my brake fluid every year. Gonna pop by Parts Source on my lunch tomorrow to see what they carry.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 AM
PDT
Originally Posted by 2SAVVY
PDT,

Went and saw Mike at Derry Per4mance and bought the Pads. He however got me EBC Red Stuff 350Z Non Brembo for the front and EBC Green Stuff G35 Non Brembo for the rear. The latter from what he tells me is better for no squeeking.

I'm sure the 350Z pads will work on the G but to be honest Mike gives me a very bad vibe. With that said I won't be letting him do my brake job and his price of $600 for the install sucks too. Gonna get it done for half of that at D Tech in Brampton. He has done my Lexus in the past and my Dad's Acura & Benz.
WOW, he quoted you that much for just installation? How much do they normally charge for installing brake lines because that's the only difference between what I did and what you are getting done.

I would definitely go some where else if you can get it done cheaper.

As for Mike giving you a bad vibe? In what sense? He's very honest and a good guy.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:15 AM
EBC Green seems to be better compound than Reds, it might throw off the brake bias if you put Red fronts and Green rear.

And $600 for install is overpriced... I just DIY'ed mine. Make sure to get some new shims and good high temp brake lubes.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Was talking to Steve @ JRP and he confirms that running RED in the front and GREEN in the rear is what they have recommended to all their clients with the 350Z/G35 non brembo cars running cross drilled and/or slotted rotors. I'm still a bit hesitant but I will try it out and report back my findings.

PDT,

As for Mike he first of all ripped me off on the rear pads and charged me $140 (JRP sells them for $105 retail)then tells me the brake job with new lines would be a 6 hour job @ $100 bucks an hour ($600 cash). I called Woodchester just for sh*ts and giggles to see how much the dealer would charge and they are like $440+tax ($110 per hour - 4 hour job). Mike's place has no where near the overhead of a dealership and wants to charge more. Sorry for ranting not your fault and I do thank you for taking the time to PM me with his info. Just my fault for buying the pads from him.

Ken

Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
i can attest to the poor stopping power of the HPS pads. I have them on my car, while i'm don't completely hate it. Stopping power has been reduced after the pads got installed.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
PDT
I'll have to talk to Mike next time I see him. That's a ridiculous price he quoted you. Installation of Pads and Rotors alone is under $300.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM
^I paid less than half of that price for my installation. Simone's got good pricing.