1 - Driver's seat was rocking/sqeaking
2 - Engine pinging/knocking even though I have been running 94 octane
3 - Difficulty fueling up, I can't seem to fill tank all the way
4 - Occasional rough shifting 1-2, 2-3.

When I went to pick the car up, here was the action taken:

1 - TSB issued, part ordered for repair under warranty
2 - Road tested vehicle, problem confirmed. Timing reset, problem resolved
3 - TSB issued, part ordered for repair under warranty
4 - Road tested vehicle, problem confirmed. "Suspect synchros are not matching gear hub". Infiniti tech support called for support.

The next day the service rep called me and advised that, after speaking to tech support, they were ordering me a new revised 6spd tranny and new "clutch disk". All to be installed under warranty. Not bad!

When I asked what he meant by the "clutch disk" he couldn't specify. I asked him because since they are swapping trannies I may as well have a new clutch kit installed to save me 6-8 hrs of labour. I assumed the clutch disk would be the friction plate - the part that "slips" or wears out. He said no, that wasn't it.

Anyone have any thought on what was meant by "clutch disk"? I want to order all the other parts in a clutch kit - Pressure Plate, release bearing, pilot bushing, and clutch plate - except for whatever he meant by "clutch disk".

My flywheel should be fine, may need to be resurfaced.

Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey where are u getting your transmission replaced at?
im from vancouver and my tranny is starting to feel notcy and 5th gear is starting to grind a bit

Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM

Clutch disc is the friction material that wears out overtime. I'm sure they're not going to replace your old clutch assembly if there's nothing wrong with it, they'll just replace the worn out parts. However if you buy an aftermarket clutch kit, I'm pretty sure they'll put that in for you at no cost since they're already dropping the tranny in the process. Plus they'll also save the cost of the new clutch disc because you're new kit will have everything . This would be the perfect time to get a new aftermarket clutch kit

Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How many kms on the car?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
55k kms. there are no issues with slipping/chattering clutch, it holds well. i know how to drive, i stay off the clutch as much as possible - no burnt clutch here.
but like i said, the labour is free so it seems like a prudent idea to replace clutch components.

gottarex - this is what i thought, but the service guy seemed to think otherwise. his definition of "clutch disk" does not match yours and mine. he told me they were replacing the "clutch disk" since my old "clutch disc" is not compatible with the new revised tranny.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by canucklehead
55k kms. there are no issues with slipping/chattering clutch, it holds well. i know how to drive, i stay off the clutch as much as possible - no burnt clutch here.
but like i said, the labour is free so it seems like a prudent idea to replace clutch components.

gottarex - this is what i thought, but the service guy seemed to think otherwise. his definition of "clutch disk" does not match yours and mine. he told me they were replacing the "clutch disk" since my old "clutch disc" is not compatible with the new revised tranny.
No worries. I didn't think for a moment you didn't know how to drive. I agree with your thinking on replacement at the same time.

This is all a good news story for you. We've read the synchros were beefed up in the '05+.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Thumbs up

so i just picked the car up from the dealer (Autowest Infinity). i am blown away with the level of service received. here's a summary of work done:

1. New updated transaxle assembly including: tranny, throw-out bearing, pilot bushing, clutch disc, oil, and new bolts.
2. New fuel shutter valve assembly.
3. New driver's seat linkage.

I asked the service rep - Rick - what the parts and labour would have cost me. The parts came to around $4500, but that's the warranty cost and not retail. The labour came to about $1500. Had I paid out of pocket I would be down at least $7000.

I requested NO WASH, they listened. Rick took extra measures to ensure that the comp wash was not performed.

I had actually authorized that I would to pay for a new clutch assembly - pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bushing and new bolts - which they had quoted $355. When I picked up the car, Rick said that when they opened the box with the new tranny all these parts were included (except pressure plate). He said they inspected my old pressure plate and it looked good, so they didn't replace it. This is after I had already told them to go ahead!

They easily could have charged me for the parts I had requested but ended up being included under warranty. I never would have known that I got duped. Rick said they were aware of this but Autowest doesn't operate that way.

All-in-all a very positive experience. I highly recommend Autowest for your service needs.

Last edited by canucklehead; 09-29-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I forgot to say that for the 2 days they had my car I was given a 2008 FX35 as a loaner. Nice ride, but a big blind spot at the rear with the wide pillars. The backup cam was a neat option though.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
It's great to hear of Dealers that come through for you. Good Stuff .

Old 09-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Was your car tough to put into 1st gear alot, then notchy hard shifts into second gear? This is what I am experiencing in my 04 g35c atm.. Just started a few weeks ago.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by G35Sask
Was your car tough to put into 1st gear alot, then notchy hard shifts into second gear? This is what I am experiencing in my 04 g35c atm.. Just started a few weeks ago.
my car is a 6spd manual. it was sometimes notchy 1-2 and 2-3. no problems into 1st though. the old gearbox wasn't that bad but i thought i would mention it to the dealer anyhow.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Rated M

Good stuff Canucklehead

Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Great to hear good news about any stealership. Yours seem to be an exception.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by canucklehead
my car is a 6spd manual. it was sometimes notchy 1-2 and 2-3. no problems into 1st though. the old gearbox wasn't that bad but i thought i would mention it to the dealer anyhow.

Hmm I am wondering if mine is the same problem 1st gear is a bitch to get into sometimes even at a roll you almost have to force it in but the clutch is definitly good IMO... Also it wants to fight you on 2nd gear, and sometimes 'clunks' into 2nd.. 3rd shifts almost 100% and the rest are good. I hope Regina Infiniti doesn't try to give me the run around when I try to get it fixed.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by G35Sask
Hmm I am wondering if mine is the same problem 1st gear is a bitch to get into sometimes even at a roll you almost have to force it in but the clutch is definitly good IMO... Also it wants to fight you on 2nd gear, and sometimes 'clunks' into 2nd.. 3rd shifts almost 100% and the rest are good. I hope Regina Infiniti doesn't try to give me the run around when I try to get it fixed.
It is normal to have difficulty shifting into first gear if you are moving. I rarely do it until I am stopped.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 6 spd tranny under warranty