Canada Serving Canada.

Halifax recommendations for restaurants

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halifax recommendations for restaurants

Hi Guys:

I was wondering if any of you could give me some recommendations for fine dining in Halifax.

I always come to Halifax, and I always eat at the same places my clients take me too. I'm sick of the Five Fishermen, and the seafood restaurant near the water where all the tourists go.

Any recommendations for a great lounge would be awesome. I'm not looking to party with the University kids, and I will most likely be by myself.

Thank you!

Alex

Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Deane (RBull) is your guy for recommendations as that is his neck of the woods. But you definitely can't come to the Maritimes and not have a good lobster feast! Make sure you have some Alexander Keiths as well.

Have fun!

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 10-30-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by link91
Hi Guys:

I was wondering if any of you could give me some recommendations for fine dining in Halifax.

I always come to Halifax, and I always eat at the same places my clients take me too. I'm sick of the Five Fishermen, and the seafood restaurant near the water where all the tourists go.

Any recommendations for a great lounge would be awesome. I'm not looking to party with the University kids, and I will most likely be by myself.

Thank you!

Alex
Hi Alex,

Here are 4 well regarded places in downtown Halifax. After you've had a look let us know if you need any other suggestions.

Bish http://bish.ca/
Da Maurizio http://www.damaurizio.ca/ (same group as Bish - next door)
Seven http://www.sevenwinebar.com/
Gio http://giohalifax.com/

For a lounge you might try the Fireside cnr. spring garden & brunswick

Deane

Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys!

This will be very very helpful.

Alex

Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Rated M

No problem. Let us know when you're here too.

BTW, how did your wife make out with her issue?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I just actually flew and flew out this time around. Spent only two nights, packed with work and not much fun. I'm back home. With all the talk about the hurricane, I decided not to stick around for the weekend. For dinner, I ended up at Gio's and Salty's. My client ended up taking me to some insanely big drunked party place, that had all these different theme bars to it. I think it was called the The Dome. Spent most of the night there listening to a live band play a mixture of rock/pop staples and East Coast music. I was amazed the mix of crowd. Everything from teens to grandma's in that place!

My wife has had about 1 or 2 interviews and follow up interviews every day. She's going be doing fine. We're waiting for some offers to come in and hopefully, just hopefully, she'll be working soon and that means the package she got would be just pure gravy.

We decided on not taking any legal action, since the phones and emails were going crazy as soon as it happened, and we realized, "fark this! move on, and we'll have less headaches".

If she got that package after working 20 years for the company, that would be different, but the package was fair for her age and time with the company.

Thanks for asking!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by link91
I just actually flew and flew out this time around. Spent only two nights, packed with work and not much fun. I'm back home. With all the talk about the hurricane, I decided not to stick around for the weekend. For dinner, I ended up at Gio's and Salty's. My client ended up taking me to some insanely big drunked party place, that had all these different theme bars to it. I think it was called the The Dome. Spent most of the night there listening to a live band play a mixture of rock/pop staples and East Coast music. I was amazed the mix of crowd. Everything from teens to grandma's in that place!

My wife has had about 1 or 2 interviews and follow up interviews every day. She's going be doing fine. We're waiting for some offers to come in and hopefully, just hopefully, she'll be working soon and that means the package she got would be just pure gravy.

We decided on not taking any legal action, since the phones and emails were going crazy as soon as it happened, and we realized, "fark this! move on, and we'll have less headaches".

If she got that package after working 20 years for the company, that would be different, but the package was fair for her age and time with the company.

Thanks for asking!
Excellent. Hope you enjoyed those spots. Salty's is a basic place right on the boardwalk downtown beside the ferry. Gio's has a good rep and a highly acclaimed chef.

Haha, on the dome. That's the number one spot in town. It's called the "liquor dome" by all locals here. It's quite a place with all the different places connected and levels/separate rooms etc. Next time ask him to take you to The Seahorse, The Lower Deck or Split Crow.

Good choice on moving on to something else for your wife is it was within the reasonable range all things considered. Spending time fighting over a package is most often not worth when considering legals costs unless an awful lot is at stake.

Probably a good idea too to be out of here before the storm. I was away but apparently it wasn't too fun and winds reached 130km here.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Haha, on the dome. That's the number one spot in town. It's called the "liquor dome" by all locals here.
That's funny, I always thought the real name was in fact the Liquor Dome. Too many Wednesday student nights there have clouded my memory.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by fkl118
That's funny, I always thought the real name was in fact the Liquor Dome. Too many Wednesday student nights there have clouded my memory.

Yeah, it was nicknamed that before it actually had a name. So many people called it the liquor dome that they ended making an official name of the dome, just dropping the liquor part.

I've had a few drinks there myself dating back nearly 25 years.