Canada Serving Canada.

"THE" DRL for US Imports Thread - Please Post all releated pictures and questions!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007 | 04:05 PM
|
"THE" DRL for US Imports Thread - Please Post all releated pictures and questions!!

Ok guys I figure I would start a definitive thread to answer or gather answers for all those who are importing vehicles from the US and would like to get DRLs done by themselves or get Canadian Tire or a dealer to do it.

I will like the following questions answered and if possible I will continually edit my post here to gather all the answers in the first post.

1. For factory Canadian Spec vehicles, the DRL is utilizing which beam? Fog lights?

2. What is the module that some canadian dealers speak of for the DRL? Priced at $125. What is the part number?

3. How much have you been quoted by Inifinit dealers to wire up DRLs factory style? $125 for parts and 2 hours labour at $85 p/hr.

4. Can someone please post pictures of the FACTORY "module" and where you got it installed and how much.

THANK YOU GUYS !!

Old 12-11-2007 | 06:08 PM
Just to share some experience and thoughts:

1. 03-05 headlights are different from 06-07, I wonder if the DRL light is different between the two...

2. I'm not sure what the dealer module is, but if you want to save a bit of money, you can ask your mechanic (if you have one) to wire a relay from your battery to the fog light, if you just want to pass the Canadian Tire certification but don't really care for DRL. Or, you can install aftermarket fog lights to pass the certification (but I haven't see anyone that installed decent aftermarket fog lights on the G35C bumper).

3. Otherwise, for the best solution in my opinion, I'd recommend looking into the KPtechnology Fog Light Controller (search in the DIY section), I think it's the best of both worlds - being able to independently control the fog light, and also using it as DRL. I plan to do this over the winter or in the spring.

Old 12-12-2007 | 05:20 PM
I wish I would have taken pics when mine was done. A BOSH relay($25) was used and we tapped it in under the battery(pain in the butt to pull the battery to get pics now). It didnt make a diffrence I had 03head lights and switched to 06 head lights they worked the same both were USDM headlights.

Old 12-12-2007 | 08:49 PM
|
yeah I can probably find an easy way to do this, but I really want to do this right as close to Canadian specs as possible.

So according to my other posts/replies Canadian G35 uses the fogs as DRLs and I assume at lesser output. This would neccesitate the use of a DRL module on top of a relay or one that incorporates both. I have yet to follow up with Infiniti to get a part number to see if she knows what shes talking about or just farting away.

Old 12-13-2007 | 11:27 AM
I did this on my 06's i had to rewire both lights i wish i kept some pics but i don't have any i only have pics of the 06 lights

Old 12-16-2007 | 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
Ok guys I figure I would start a definitive thread to answer or gather answers for all those who are importing vehicles from the US and would like to get DRLs done by themselves or get Canadian Tire or a dealer to do it.

I will like the following questions answered and if possible I will continually edit my post here to gather all the answers in the first post.

1. For factory Canadian Spec vehicles, the DRL is utilizing which beam? Fog lights?

2. What is the module that some canadian dealers speak of for the DRL? Priced at $125. What is the part number?

3. How much have you been quoted by Inifinit dealers to wire up DRLs factory style? $125 for parts and 2 hours labour at $85 p/hr.

4. Can someone please post pictures of the FACTORY "module" and where you got it installed and how much.

THANK YOU GUYS !!
I just imported my G from the states in the summer:

1. DRL converted runs off the high beams.

2. I got mine done at the Ajax Nissan dealership for $212 w/taxes and parts. it was just a relay they added but 2 hours or so of labour. FYI-Crappy tire quoted me at $350.

3. I was originally quoted $250 for parts and labour but was $212. They do quite a lot at that dealership (on 350z's)

4. got nothing.

Old 12-16-2007 | 02:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by Jeeves
I just imported my G from the states in the summer:

1. DRL converted runs off the high beams.

2. I got mine done at the Ajax Nissan dealership for $212 w/taxes and parts. it was just a relay they added but 2 hours or so of labour. FYI-Crappy tire quoted me at $350.

3. I was originally quoted $250 for parts and labour but was $212. They do quite a lot at that dealership (on 350z's)

4. got nothing.
So it is full blast high beams? THANKS

Old 12-16-2007 | 04:07 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
You may be able to find a company that specializes in US conversions if you talk to a car importer.

We have one here located in an industrial park that does it all, DRLs, instrument panels etc.

Old 12-16-2007 | 04:30 PM
or you can just succumb to frustration on the lack of information on the subject and just plug and play the sons 'a bltches like I did.... everything works fine except I have to manually turn my lights on, and also sometimes on rare occasions, if I dont have my projectors turned on and I try to signal, my blinker hyperflashes, it blinks extremely fast, but that rarely happens and it's not a big issue for me at all.

Old 12-20-2007 | 05:45 PM
|
meh I found a solution.... "dirty" inspection centres, I have found 2 willing to close an eye about the DRLs so off I go tommorow to try them out wish me luck will post back if they actually passed me.

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:22 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
JMHO but why would you even consider not getting the proper conversion done? DRL's are a safety feature. Owning a car that doesn't comply will draw attention to you by officials and will be difficult if not impossible to resell.

Old 12-20-2007 | 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
So it is full blast high beams? THANKS
No. '07 DRL runs the fog light (under the blinker). High beam is HID with the low beam shutter lifted. Looks like the DRL is 100% output fog, judging by how the light up the wall in my garage.

Old 12-20-2007 | 11:01 PM
Sounds like alot of wheel spinning for nothing, or alot of energy spent for no progress. In Canada the DRL are a requirement - so get it done regardless of the path you take (fogs, lowbeams, battery operated blinking neck tie -whatever you wish). I cannot see the reason to circumvent the installation/operation of them. If you do, then stop wasting the time of others who might be viewing this site to gain insight on how and where to get them done - not how and where to avoid getting them done. Simply my opinion. JUST READ THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD.

Old 12-20-2007 | 11:06 PM
|
Get a grip of your *****, you guys are losing them. My car I do whatever I want. LOL. I just prefer to get my resgistration completed and over and done with while I slowly research how to do the DRLs properly, and PS..theres a DRL switch on the stalk if people with US cars want to run the side markers as DRLs during the day... and I doubt anyone is going to notice, its snowy and gloomy I usually run with my headlights on anyways. the piggys arent that smart to know how each car runs its DRLs.

Oh, that infiniti woman at the dealership, shes talking about an aftermarket DRL module.. I doubt there even is a module, maybe a relay...$125 LOL If the fogs run 100% whenever the ignition is on, then when the autolight goes on it becomes normal again?
meaning it can be turned on and off?

Old 12-21-2007 | 12:07 AM
I think I am getting dumber reading this thread. You bought a US car and saved thousands of dollars, $200 dosent seem like a lot of money to make your $30,000+ car legal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "THE" DRL for US Imports Thread - Please Post all releated pictures and questions!!