Canada Serving Canada.

DS window won't close... ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
DS window won't close... ?

Took the G out this morning. Opened the window, but when I went to close it, it only went up 3/4. When you send it up it goes to the top and then down to 3/4 position. I held the switch up to close it and then shut off the car. Has it been so long that I've forgotten how to close the window, or has the G forgotten? I'm assuming that when I start the G later the window will roll down by itself. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
IIRC, There should be a reset procedure for this... memory cells aren't working though.

It won't be the same, but.....
Had a similar thing on the Z and it's been fine since I did the reset.

In the interum...
Can't you also use the door key to raise windows with power off?

Last edited by InTgr8r; 03-22-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine goes into that mode all the time. It goes down fine but when reaching the top going up it will reverse and stop at 3/4 up. I'm told the only fix is for the dealer to do a reset. That works for a while and then it happens again. After about 5-6 resets at the dealer I just leave it now and operate it manually without the one touch up.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Ian, I thought there should be a reset proceedure. I saw you had a similar issue in an earlier thread Deane. I'll try the fob next time I'm , great to have an interm solution.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:40 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by whatacar
Took the G out this morning. Opened the window, but when I went to close it, it only went up 3/4. When you send it up it goes to the top and then down to 3/4 position. I held the switch up to close it and then shut off the car. Has it been so long that I've forgotten how to close the window, or has the G forgotten? I'm assuming that when I start the G later the window will roll down by itself. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Sam, IIRC, the reset procedure is: with the key in the ON position (with the dash lights on) but not started, operate the window control and move the window all the way up then all the way down.
Release the control and then operate the down control again for a second or 2.
Do the same for the up direction.
Then turn the key off.

My guess is that it's not the basic program but the regulator that needs attention and I don't know if the reset with fix this.... Hope so..

Sorry I missed you this morning.....will get back at y'all soon..

C.

Last edited by Msedanman; 03-22-2008 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uclalaker2009 (08-02-2012)
Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Found this for a Maxi...
IDK if it's the same but it's a good possibility.
With the help of the technical service manual on CD produced by Nissan on the 2002 and 2003 Maxima I now have located the quick fix for a problem I have had since purchasing my used 2002 SE a few months ago. That is the drivers door window one-touch up function for the window was not working properly. The window would go up to the top and then retreat about 5 inches back down again.

This problem is due to the limit switch needing to be reset which at first I thought would be a considerable job (to take off the door panel etc.) but ended up being literally a 2 minute job as the door panel can remain in place. My dealer wanted $85 CDN for the switch reset which I knew was a rip off before I found the fix procedure myself. I know several '02 and '03 Maxima owners have had this same problem but no-one then appeared to know the fix. Alhough this procedure is simple once you do it, my description seems long as I wanted to be a descriptive as possible since I can't provide pictures. So here it is:

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single philips screw.

Step 2: Remove the whole switch panel (in which the door pull handle sits) by prying it up from the back end either with a flat edged screwdriver or table knife (under cloth) or by hand which is what I did. It is just clipped in so should come out relatively easily sliding it up at the back and then pulling it back.

You can now see the inside of the door from where the switch finishing plate sat. You can leave the wiring all attached and simply hang the switch and handle plastic assembly to one side so you can see the inside of the door.

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It almost looks like a black pan screw head. This is the reset switch but there is a sequence to now doing the actual reset procedure. The switch doesn't really feel like one when you press it through the plastic liner which incidentally you don't need to cut (at least I didn't have to). It is a switch that is only on when you are pressing it otherwise when released it is off.

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.

a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP).
c) The limit switch is now reset. Easy!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
another from Zcar...

I finally got around to "reprogramming" my passenger window that was not operating properly. A few people had mentioned that they needed to press and hold the reset switch behind the door panel, but as I found out there is a bit more of specifics necessary to accomplish the reset.

1. Make sure you know how to remove the door panel. I double-checked the internet for some specific steps so as to not eff up any parts or sratch the vinyl/plastic surfaces of the door.

2. Before you take the door panel off, make sure the window is rolled all the way up.

3. Because the window rolls up and down a bit when you shut or open the door, the door must be shut when attempting the reset process. You can just have someone hold the switch inside the door jamb so that the car thinks the door is shut or use a large c-clamp to hold it in as well. The linkage for the inside door handle kept me from completely removing the door panel in order the shut the door during the process. As you will see later, I found it a bit awkward to perform the reset process with only two hands so some help from a friend would be of benefit.

4. The reset switch is a little rubber nub sitting inside one of the holes in the metal, inner door cover. It is covered by a thin, round, sticky, vinyl cover. There's several of these covers on the surface of the door but it's one of the covers towards the middle of the door.

Reset Steps:

While holding the door close switch, press and hold the reset switch while rolling the window all the way down (do not use the auto-down method).

Release the reset switch, but keep the door close switch held in and roll the window all the way up (do not use the auto-up method).

Release the door close switch and check to make sure the window is adjusted correctly. That's it!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
another from Zcar...

Thanks Ian.

That makes sense. I know the door panel has to be removed and the reset switch found. When I learned that from the dealer I decided I wasn't going to be doing that every month or so. Unless there is a permanent solution to be found I won't waste my time on something that will just have to be reset soon after.

In the meantime thanks Colin. That's worth a try. When I get her on the road next week I'll give it a shot.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Sam, IIRC, the reset procedure is: with the key in the ON position (with the dash lights on) but not started, operate the window control and move the window all the way up then all the way down.
Then turn the key off.

My guess is that it's not the basic program but the regulator that needs attention and I don't know if the reset with fix this.... Hope so..

Sorry I missed you this morning.....will get back at y'all soon..

C.
Thanks Colin, I'll give it a try in the morning.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Good info. Ian, thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
attached is from the 2005 service manual.

Attached Thumbnails DS window won't close... ?-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
attached is from the 2005 service manual.
Thanks for the info. Good to have a diag.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow and I was about to make a thread on this too, great info! My DS window is doing the same thing.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by TIRE_SMOKE96
wow and I was about to make a thread on this too, great info! My DS window is doing the same thing.
Let me know which method you try. Haven't had a chance to touch the G since __it happened.
GL

Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Then turn the key off.
C.
Tried it this morning Colin, didn't work. But it looked like a good day for a drive, even with the window down, ( when I do it manually without the one touch up it reverts to 3/4)
Later, I found out that with the car on and the door open if I raised the window to the top and shut off the car. When I restarted it to drive, the window stayed up.
I can live with that for now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DS window won't close... ?