Canada Serving Canada.

Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)

Just had to share this great item that I picked up over the Easter Weekend for my iPod. This posting is really for those of you who have ipods installed in your G but haven't found a super-fancy/expensive way to install a dock yet. I attached a pic of my old 'resting place' for my ipod, with my charger plugged in one end, my RCA input for my PAC, and the jumble sitting right above my shifter *rolls eyes*

My original intent was to pick up a Pro-clip which everyone talks about and uses. It's great that they offer Canadian shipping, but with everything in, the cheapest 'holder' and the G35 Coupe specific 'base' I was still looking at close to $80.

Well check this out. Griffin has come out with this cigarette lighter charger with a metal 'bendy' (microphone style) neck that has a dock attached to it. You can adjust it any direction you like, plus the base also swivels from the end of the 'neck' for added customization.

With the depth of the plug on the car's dash, this works really well. What's also very cool about this attachment is that the base of the cigarette plug has a pass through where you can plug your audio cable to (so nothing sticks out of the top of the iPod - like in the case with a Pro-Clip).

The other really cool feature is that the base of the 'dock' has another pass-through, so if there's another accessory that needs to be plugged into the bottom of your iPod, you can still attach it, even with your iPod in this dock.

I included a shot of the base without my 30gb video in it, to show that the clear plastic sleeve is there to hold the weight of the beefier ipods, but it does come off if you don't like it. There's a neat little screw on the back that pushes out a rubber pad that secures the ipod in nicely too.

It's uber clean, really handy and now I don't have to panic everytime I take a turn and it slides off my shifter! LOL

I'm sure most of you already have your own setups to accomodate this, but this a recent discovery and thought those of you who hadn't decided on one, could give this a try!

Here's the link to the Griffin site (BestBuy carries it) - I picked it up on sale for $44.99 this weekend.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux

Enjoy!
Al

PS. Sorry for the brutal pics - its my camera phone.

Attached Thumbnails Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)-old-setup.jpg   Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)-ipod-wide.jpg   Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)-ipod-neck.jpg   Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)-ipod-base.jpg   Great iPod accessory (Griffin TuneFlex Aux)-ipod-neck-wide.jpg  

Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this could be a silly question.

how is your audio connected to your stereo? I can't tell in the pictures

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 PM
i like it, looks very easy to move around...perfect!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 AM
looks good.. beats my method of putting in the cupholder

Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by SB80

He has a PAC unit with a RCA cable.

www.g35ipod.com

^shows you how to go about doing it if you are interested. Only thing is you need your Ipod to control the music and your controls and display will not work on the Bose Audio deck. I think this is a better route if you don't exclusively use an Ipod, cheaper, and don't mind opening stuff up in your car.

I think there is a g35 Ipod connector that has been a little bit more user friendly since you don't need to open your console up; all you need to is buy the G35 Ipod Kit and plug it into your trunk and connect your Ipod there. You are able to control your Ipod from the audio controls in the car as well and it displays song titles.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
This sounds promising, any links?

Originally Posted by Asad_A203

I think there is a g35 Ipod connector that has been a little bit more user friendly since you don't need to open your console up; all you need to is buy the G35 Ipod Kit and plug it into your trunk and connect your Ipod there. You are able to control your Ipod from the audio controls in the car as well and it displays song titles.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just picked it up...

http://www.g35parts.com/9083/osc/pro...roducts_id=521

It looks to be the best option I have been able to find yet. I'll post pics once I get it installed.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Also what I plan on doing is installing it under the center console in the rear seat, and running the IPOOE'd wire under the carpet and installing it in the center armrest in the front of the car. There are some thread on how to do it, and I took my armrest in the back seat arpart and it doesn't look that hard. The DIY currently posted are okay but I may do another one specific for a coupe using these locations.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by elrooko
Also what I plan on doing is installing it under the center console in the rear seat, and running the IPOOE'd wire under the carpet and installing it in the center armrest in the front of the car. There are some thread on how to do it, and I took my armrest in the back seat arpart and it doesn't look that hard. The DIY currently posted are okay but I may do another one specific for a coupe using these locations.
Yeah I wouldn't mind running it to that center arm rest too. The only thing I don't want to do is run it underneath the carpet and drill a hole in the center armrest because I am postive I will eff something up; haha.

I also would prefer an RCA cable so I can hook my PSP instead of hooking up an Ipod; but the simplicity of this model really makes it hard to beat. I don't really mind throwing my Ipod in the trunk as well.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Pac Aai-nis2

Originally Posted by Asad_A203
He has a PAC unit with a RCA cable.

www.g35ipod.com
Hey SB80,
Asad_A203 is absolutely correct. I did a PAC unit install a few months earlier. The unit sits behind my console and I ran the wire down through the shifter area and out the side. I had a ton of slack, in case a friend in the passenger seat wanted to hold it or DJ, but now with it tucked so neatly, I just stuffed the extra under the console. It's really clean.

I have to say for those of you considering doing this, it's really not as bad as it sounds. I did a bit of research on how to remove the console - loads of it on G35driver.com (DIYs) as well as some sites that sell PAC units. The pictures help. And I'm no professional gearhead, who tears his car apart on a weekly basis. I've installed a Grounding kit and that's been about it.

The one piece of advice I might throw out is to be sure that you got the DIY for the right model year of your G (I can't comment on how different it is between a coupe and a sedan - I have a coupe). But I found a 2004 thread that showed great pics. I think the 2005 is way easier btw... for the '04s you have to take apart both the left and right sides of the dash to get access to the screws on the sides of the centre console, whereas the '05+ are easy to get at from the get-go.

There's another unit that most people talk about when installing a unit in their car for iPods (USA SPEC) and those units cost about $30-40 more. This is becuase it allows you to move forward and backward on the iPod, but using the steering wheel controls. Plus, you can see the song listing scroll on the screen of the Bose Head Unit. Unlike mine that says "SR1-CH-001". I personally didn't think it was worth the extra for something that really only give you up/down track features. I don't really build songlists and such, so it wasn't a big perk for me. (besides, nowadays you can pick up a 'remote' for ipod, and it will give you all the features of the USA SPEC and you can take the remote with you anywhere to control your iPod!)

Al

Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Al/Asad_A203....wow thanks a lot for the info! Once the warmer weather decides to come out, I'll think about this mod properly and see if it's worth doing.

Dammit if only Infiniti put in AUX connections in the 04 model!

MUCH appreciated guys!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Al/Asad_A203....wow thanks a lot for the info! Once the warmer weather decides to come out, I'll think about this mod properly and see if it's worth doing.

Dammit if only Infiniti put in AUX connections in the 04 model!

MUCH appreciated guys!
Ha yeah; I wish it had a RCA cable sitting in the glove box from factory. I will probably be installing either a Double DIN (not ready to give up my dual climate control though!) or the Ipod kit. I opened up my center console and it took me forever to put it back together properly; haha. So for DIY from now on; I will take the easiest route whenever possible.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Just finished hooking up the iPod from everythingG35 to the car. Posted a DIY. Not sure how this compares to the PAC unit or the other solutions but this one is really good IMHO. I can use the steering wheel controls, the albums and artists are selectable, I have volume from the steering wheel and it charges the ipod all from the comfort of my armrest.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/212505-diy-installing-factory-ipod-03-5-6mt-coupe.html