Canada Serving Canada.

Blue / Black book value for a 2003 / 2004 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue / Black book value for a 2003 / 2004 G35

Hello,

I've been looking for a G35 lately, and I've noticed that the range of pricing is off the charts. I've seen 40 g35s on autotrader going for under 17k, with the lowest being 13k. (Most of those are from dealerships). On the other hand, whenever I see a private sale, most of the people are asking for 23k+, with some asking for 28k or more

While I understand that some cars may not be as well kept as others, I don't understand why 2 stock g35s would have close to a 50% price difference.

I'm sure the cheapest ones on autotrader have been crashed, or are lemons, or are Katrina cars, would all 40 be that bad? Why are private sellers asking so much, or are they being unrealistic about the depreciation of their cars?

Anyone know what the blue book / black book values for a g35 sedan or coupe are? Or why the used coupes are selling for so much more than the used sedans?

Please, enlighten me.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try KBB.com should let you input year/mileage/condition/accessories to get a value for both dealer trade in and private sale

Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow. As expected, the prices in the US are even lower than those in Canada. Is there anything like that, but for Canada? (It's hard to use US comparisons as a bargaining point)

Old 03-26-2008, 10:05 PM
My bad, I didn't catch that you were in Canada. I'm not sure how accurate this site's values are, but you can try this http://www.vmrcanada.com/

Old 03-27-2008, 01:03 AM
are you comparing coupe vs sedan pricing in your comparison? coupes go for a lot more than sedans from what i have seen and shopped...

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by XuperXero
I was sent to the Toyota site because...?

Originally Posted by kingrukus
are you comparing coupe vs sedan pricing in your comparison? coupes go for a lot more than sedans from what i have seen and shopped...
From what I've seen on motoseller and autotrader, there aren't many coupes going for under 20k. When I'm doing my comparison, I've separated Coupes and Sedans, so give a far comparison.

I'm slowly waiting for the price to come down some more - either a G35x or Coupe

Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by b4cheung
I was sent to the Toyota site because...?

this is the link he was probably trying to give u:
http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/english/con...n_vehicle.html

private sales will always be inflated... it's just the way it is.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
my experience was that dealer prices were higher?

anyhow as mentioned above, about $10K diff b/w sedan and coupe, not to knock on the sedan driver but the older sedans don't have the styling at all compared to the coupe..... this could be debatable

however simple law of supply and demand, theres tons of sedans on autotrader as opposed to coupes, this can be said for the 350 as well, the prices are pretty low compared to g coupe....

Originally Posted by giddyup69
this is the link he was probably trying to give u:
http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/english/con...n_vehicle.html

private sales will always be inflated... it's just the way it is.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by netcbc
my experience was that dealer prices were higher?

anyhow as mentioned above, about $10K diff b/w sedan and coupe, not to knock on the sedan driver but the older sedans don't have the styling at all compared to the coupe..... this could be debatable

however simple law of supply and demand, theres tons of sedans on autotrader as opposed to coupes, this can be said for the 350 as well, the prices are pretty low compared to g coupe....
it used to be. but dealer's have so many cars these days... especially with the influx of american vehicles.. and the massive depreciation.. they are really trying to move them off the lots. private sales on the other hand.. people are pissed that their cars have lost so much value... they're trying to squeeze out as much as they can. the market up here is really screwed up at the moment. then again i could be wrong... but this is what i noticed a couple months ago when i got rid of my car.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by b4cheung
Anyone know what the blue book / black book values for a g35 sedan or coupe are? Or why the used coupes are selling for so much more than the used sedans?Please, enlighten me.
I was recently in the market and was selling a car just before I got into the G35x. I noticed much of the same thing, however, in my research I took a couple factors into consideration. I don't think I can explain the differential, but perhaps look at it under a different light.

If the dealer has a used car on the lot, they have to move much faster than a private seller typically. They work on the basis of inventory and literally are paying for the space and need to keep room for other more profitable sales. These cars are typically off lease and you won't have an idea of how it is maintained. The dealer has already made his profits off the sale of the new car, so anything off of a trade in/used car, is basically gravy. With regards to the market, the G35 was/is a hot selling car. The market is flooded. So the dealer is very motivated to get these cars back out there. Plus consider that it is dealers, not typically private sales, that are competing with US sales.

Additionally, a private seller will/should have records and can attest to who drive the car, and how it was maintained. There may be a greater value/emphasis placed on the maintenance of the car, and that translates into sales. The dealer can't always attest to such things.

Plus, consider "options". Just browsing Autotrader isn't really enough of an accurate gage on a car's worth. Generally speaking, perhaps. But a proper review and side by side comparison of vehicles would be required to see just how significant the differential is and more than likely, you could point a finger to the reason for the variance.

To top it all off the various economic effects are play on the auto market.

'06

Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Oh, by the way ... to the folks that posted the links for the value calculators for vehicles (both US and CDN).

THAT WAS GREAT!!!!

'06

Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 PM
the more i see prices fall, the more i realize i should have waited a few months before buying the g, eh well, good luck finding another '03 with (at the time) less than 30000kms,

Old 03-27-2008, 06:38 PM
^ +1. i agree.

i bought my '04 6MT Sedan in December '06 for $26,500 (+ tax) at a local Subaru dealer in Vancouver. at that time it seemed like a good price. with only 44k kms on it most comparable G's were going for $1-4K more. since i paid cash i was able to talk the delear down from their $29.5k asking price. Vancouver is a pricey market. car values here often exceed those elsewhere in Canada, and get trounced by prices down south in the US (especially now).

using the above CDN black book calculator i see that my G would top out at ~$16k. that's a huge hit in less then 1.5 years. i would be interested to know the black book at the time i purchased it.

i think the retail price would be closer to $22-23K, but i may be high on that. i'm not sure how much markup the dealers normally tack on to their black book trade-in price...

Last edited by canucklehead; 03-27-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 PM
hm, that's interesting, same top price for my '03 automatic,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blue / Black book value for a 2003 / 2004 G35