Canada Serving Canada.

Spring Waxing Time!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Waxing Time!

I have not used real "wax" for years on any car.

The synthetic waxes last much longer and are easier to apply (to buff off, actually, even on warm, summer days.)

The most readily available is NU FINISH (in an orange bottle) at Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, etc. (There may be premium brands too, but this one is fine.) It's not harsh and is not intended as a "cleaner" so it does not damage the clear-coat.

I usually pre-clean the car by washing it and then using a spray-on "instant wax": Mother's California Gold. It removes any pollution-caused film gently; washing really does not do that. It's very easy to buff off (unlike the more waxy Meguire's Showtime).

Ideally, you should apply NU FINISH twice - about a week apart. They claim it lasts a year then. Well, six months for sure.

Peter

2004 G35 Coupe with Performance Package. Silverstone (dark silver).

Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Re: Be Care with Nu Finish

Peter,

Any sealant or regular waxing is better than leaving the paint unprotected. And if Nu Finish works for you then great. But Nu Finish is more abrasive then other sealants.

For example, if you use Nu Finish on non-clear coated paint, you find that a white applicator pad is stained by the paint colour. Non-abrasive products would not cause the applicator to be stained with the paint colour. Also check out the smell of Nu Finish (you know it must have strong chemicals). It will also damage your rubber seals if you get it on rubber and don't get it off quickly. The Nu-Finish web-site states "We always recommend that you first try Nu Finish on an inconspicuous area, even if you are polishing your car". The abrasive qualities might be helpful if you're dealing with paint that's in poor shape. But for a new car, with good paint, less abrasive is better.

Nu Finish is better than not applying protection, but there are better choices nowdays (especially for a new car).

There's no one absolute authority on waxes/sealants, and I don't think there is clearly one that absolutely the best in very way. One website that did a comprehensive test is (including Nu Finish):
http://www.gurureports.org/specialre...waxtest.3.html

I don't have a copy of the report, but the top in the sealant category was Zaino (which I use and love). I know Klass All-in-one and Sealant Glaze combination is also pretty good. Some members use Crystal Guard (which is a sponsor of this web site).

Anyways, if Nu Finish worked well for you in the past, great! But you might want to try something less abrasive on your new G35.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:18 PM

Hi multimut (or Peter or anyone),

When I picked up my car, I got the dealer to "throw in" their sealant process as part of the deal ( or I got a big discount on it) as well as a clear bra. I figured what I was getting was probably something I could have done myself but I just didn't have the time back then. Do you know what the dealer would have used? Maybe Zaino or Crystal Guard? Or does it vary depending on the individual Infiniti dealership?

I should just phone them tomorrow and ask what they used, but I'm wondering if you might know...

Would it matter if later on I Zaino'd the car myself if they had used some other product originally? Would I have to clay bar it first or something?
Also, do I Zaino right over the clear bra?

Sorry for all the questions, but you sound like you guys know what you're talking about and I'm kinda clueless in this area...

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 04-21-2004, 12:16 AM

There is no way the dealership using Zaino, it takes too much time to apply them. (First you wash it, then put Z1, Z5, Z6, Z2, or whatever the order is i forgot). Usually it takes me longer than 3 hrs to finish waxing it (mostly waiting for the wax to dry) So i am pretty sure the dealership won't use them. They use normal wax from canadian tire maybe. But i do think Zaino is worth it, it actually did a superb job by keeping the dirt away from the car. Anyways, if you want to use Zaino you should wash your car with dawn liquid (those dishwashing fluid), by instruction it says it will remove all the previous brand of wax or residue on it, and then you start the zaino process. They do recommend you to use claybar first, but i found that time consuming and have to buy the claybar thing, so i just use Z1, Z2, Z5, and Z6, it works out great!

Old 04-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Dealer Sealant

Kyle,

Congrats on getting your Coupe.

All dealers offer paint sealant packages (at a mark-up). If you got the dealer to throw in the paint sealant package, then you got sealant, not regular wax.

Zaino won't adhere well to another sealant (so you'd lose the durability benefits). While "Dawn" will remove regular wax, it won't do much to take off a sealant. So you'd need to use something stronger, like a paint cleanser, to remove the sealant first, or wait six months+ for the sealant to wear away.

IMHO, while I like Zaino a lot, it's not worth the effort to replace the sealant your dealer applied with Zaino (you managed to get them to throw in the sealant because you had other things to do with your time -- removing the sealant to apply another one would take even longer). Whatever sealant the dealer used, I'm sure it's reasonably good. Either continue with the sealant your dealer applied (did they give you some extra to reapply after six months), or switch to another sealant (such as Zaino) in about six months.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Sealant over clear bra

Forgot second part of your question. You can wax over clear bra, and apply non-abrasive sealant over the clear bra [I don't think Nu Finish would be safe on clear bra film]. Try to avoid getting a build-up in the seam between the clear bra and the rest of the hood.

Another option for the clear bra is 303 Aerospace Protection -- also good on rubber seals, tires, vinyl.... [Available in Canada at Zellers]

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

Old 04-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Re: Sealant over clear bra

I have yet to find this 303 Aerospace Protectant anywhere in the GTA - I've been to a few Zellers and none of them had it and/or no longer carry it...

Old 04-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Re: 303 at Zellers

They're hard to spot, and staff aren't too helpful.

I don't go to Zellers too often, but I recall after New Year's, I did spot 8 oz bottles of 303 at the Yonge & Steeles Zellers. They don't seem to carry the 16 oz size anymore.

The 303 Website also lists other retailers. There is an RV supply store on Midland that's supposed to carry 303 (8 oz, 16 oz, and one gallon). I was planning on checking out that store soon, as my supply of 303 is running low.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Re: Spring Waxing Time!

I have heard lots of good things about Meguirs NXT Tech wax.

From what I hear its a good rival for Zaino. It gives a great shine and lasts quite a while. Zaino lasts longer, but this stuff is only about $25. I will try it as soon as I have the time.

I have already tried it on my Gold GTCs

Old 04-21-2004, 04:08 PM

OK, thanks for the advice on other brands. I'll try to find them in stores in Southern Ontario.

Peter

2004 G35 Coupe with Performance Package. Silverstone (dark silver).