Canada Serving Canada.

Thinking of changing coupe for WRX STI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of changing coupe for WRX STI

what do you guys think? I jsut swicthed from a Z to G and I am not that impressed. I hope I am not offending anyone.I am having a baby and needed a car with back seats. I got the coupe because I had the snow tires from the Z I had a pop charger and a Borla Exhaust I was able to tranfer to the coupe . I am now thinking of getting a sti. I know they are fast 4 doors and all wheel drive.. I live in the GTA and driving in the snow was hell this winter with my Z . I imagine the coupe isn'y muvh better. Anyways what do you guys think of the STI..?( my wife thinks it's uuugly...LOL) I would get White my coupe is Black and wayyy to hard to keep clean.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:44 AM
Re: Thinking of changing coupe for WRX STI

I wouldn't say it's ugly, rather, i'd say it doesn't look like a 50k CND car. To me it's like paying 50k for a modified Mazda Protege or something (especially the rear). My friend has a STI (white too), he admired the look of the G, but he just a young boy and need the speed. I personally don't think it's worth it to sacrifice the style, luxury, and especially class for that less than 1 sec differential 0-60mph, and 20 hp. Basically, it is faster just becuz it's lighter (300hp and 300 torque), but they are light not becuz they use carbon fiber, their built quality really sucks and not safe, both interior or exterior, my friends say everytime he closed the door it seems like the door is gonna break.... but again, i am bias, and i am no ricerboy nor racer. My suggestion is... go with whatever car you like, but from a Z to G than to STI, you've lost so much money and you could've get a M3 at the first beginning... (beside, STI's resale value is not too impressive)

Old 04-24-2004, 05:25 PM

Tailspin: It would be a lot cheaper to buy a set of alloy whells and Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter. That's what I did (17") and the car handled perfectly in snow and ice.

Also saved a lot of wear and tear on the summer tires.

Peter

2004 G35 Coupe with Performance Package. Silverstone (dark silver).

Old 04-25-2004, 02:00 AM

I dunno.. you say 1 sec diff in peformance but have u ever acutally driven one?? Thay are crazzzzyy fast. 1st and 2cnd gear will hang with a Porsche Turbo!

Old 04-25-2004, 05:08 AM

I say 1 sec difference in 0-60 mph, those are according to most car magazine. And yes, i've sit in one, my friend has one, and i have raced him before, he can beat me but the difference is not that big. Now think about it, it has only 20 more hp than we do. What is it that make it accelerate so fast? It is becuz it's lighter than us. But yet, they are light not becuz they used good materials like NSX or other performance car (carbon fiber), they just simply use cheap and light materials to build the car up, and that is why my STI friend complaint that the door feels like it's even worse than a civic, feel like it's gonna crack everytime he close it. Now, the way i see STI is a heavily modded Subaru, in term of class it is nowhere near the Infiniti. Plus the it looks like a Mazda protege from the back, which doesn't impress me at all. Acceleration and performance is not everything, and sadly, STI has nothing more to offer other than performance, it makes a good trackday car, but not a good allaround daily driven car. (lacking of class, luxury, interior, safety, reliability and style) I mean, if performance is your major consideration and only thing you care about, for godsake go get a civic (EK) and spend the rest of the money to mod it, i guranteed you the civic can beat a Porsche Turbo (not just hang with it), and may be able to beat lambo. With proper mod those money can get you a 11 sec Civic (1/4 mile). And honda is still more reliable and better "class" than subaru... Plus, the past few gen of WRX has problem after few years, reliability is always an issue on a Subaru (probably are one of the worst brand), Infiniti on the other hand ranked 2nd in least problem reported. Not to mention the resale value.
So, I'll just say STI is better than G35 in the way of performance. On the other hand, G35 is better than STI in many way... class, interior, exterior style, safety, reliability, resale value, built quality, luxury...etc. Well, how many thing you sacrifice by trying to gain that 1 sec difference!? beside, they have that advantage by using cheap materials, not by using carbon fiber. Is it worth it? It's your money so you be the judge, but i am saying Infiniti spend much more money to build one G35 Coupe than Subaru to build one STI. (just use a crappy Subaru exterior and throw in some big turbo and mods, the material it used is nowhere near any good performance car. For godsake it doesn't even have CF hood!!! And that is what make real performance car better than STI, material used, NSX probably not as fast in accelaration, but it use really good materials like CF Hood..etc., it's like comparing a Armani clothes with Wal-mart T shirt, both serve the same purpose, but quality is totally different) Afterall it all came down to "value", and by what they spend on the car i do not see the value in it (not worth the price i mean) Now at the end, does it look like a 50000 car to you? To me it looked like a riced up Protege with wings and big turbo.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:11 PM

Wow.. nice input! I hear what you are saying and I agree with alot of it. What I may end up doing is keeping my coupe until the end of the summer and get the STI for the fall /winter.