G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Canada (https://g35driver.com/forums/canada-36/)
-   -   Winter Tires Info - Great White North (https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/240047-winter-tires-info-great-white-north.html)

Moridin 11-28-2012 12:22 PM

I put my Blizzaks which i bought last year. They are also 215/55/17 all around.

But i noticed that there is some kind of a humming noise when im on the highway. No vibration, but its kinda sounds like the engine is reving higher, its hard to describe. I was worried that maybe because they arent staggered that might be an issue, but not sure.

Anyone else have an issue like this ? Also with close to 190k on the coupe, maybe i need to replace the wheel bearings ?

thanks

G35DG 11-28-2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Moridin (Post 6638424)
I put my Blizzaks which i bought last year. They are also 215/55/17 all around.

But i noticed that there is some kind of a humming noise when im on the highway. No vibration, but its kinda sounds like the engine is reving higher, its hard to describe. I was worried that maybe because they arent staggered that might be an issue, but not sure.

Anyone else have an issue like this ? Also with close to 190k on the coupe, maybe i need to replace the wheel bearings ?

thanks

i'm not sure about your car Moridin, but i also get a humming noise with my winter tires, at around 100 km/h on the highway. I was actually shocked to hear that noise, and was looking around to see what was wrong.

Afterwards, I realized that the winter tires are just much noisier and softer. And after a few weeks with my winters on now, i've gotten used to the noise and i don't notice it much anymore.

akoustic 12-09-2012 04:19 PM

What's the best size for 18inch rims on a coupe? I already have 17s at 225/50/17 fronts and 225/55/17 rears. I just want to know what the most recommended sizes are for the 18s! Thanks folks!

G35DG 12-09-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by akoustic (Post 6646894)
What's the best size for 18inch rims on a coupe? I already have 17s at 225/50/17 fronts and 225/55/17 rears. I just want to know what the most recommended sizes are for the 18s! Thanks folks!

@ akoustic: the OEM size for 18" for the coupe are 225/45/18 fronts and 245/45/18 rears (also match size of your current 17" setup).

But a 225/45/18 fronts and 225/50/18 rears setup will also work and will also match the size of your 17" setup. This will cut through snow better (if you're referring to winter tires in this post).......if it was me, i'd go with this 225 setup just because it serves the main purpose of best results in snow.

Rossei 12-11-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by G35DG (Post 6638688)
i'm not sure about your car Moridin, but i also get a humming noise with my winter tires, at around 100 km/h on the highway. I was actually shocked to hear that noise, and was looking around to see what was wrong.

Afterwards, I realized that the winter tires are just much noisier and softer. And after a few weeks with my winters on now, i've gotten used to the noise and i don't notice it much anymore.

I second you G35DG. I felt same as I expressed before. But it was more like road noise from my wheels/tires and not humming from engine bay. It's also first time I'm using 215 width all around. And it probably creates huge difference with stock sizes in terms of speed/comfort/noise level.

Moreover, it didn't snow yet; so I can't comment on tire performance on snow/ice. But they aren't definitely best fit for dry conditions.

infinitone 12-21-2012 01:37 AM

I just got the new S2 rims from c. tire, never looking back to my old S1's...

Rossei 01-24-2013 08:20 AM

Review of Nokian Hakka R on snow

So, I'm back again after my Texas trip and 2 weeks of cold/fever afterwards.

It didn't snow here much in Sarnia till last night. Flurries and light snow covered the road surface overnight and it started snowing from morning. It's -10C, light snow/snow condition (2-4 inch), no ice or slush yet.

And sadly my Nokian Hakka R didn't perform as I expected. I felt no difference other than stopping distance between these and old ones (Nankang & Conti). But my brakes were pulsing at times. There was some sort of grip; but VDC would come on each time I put gas (tiny bit). It doesn't go straight at all after turns (cornering), stop signs/signals, slopes or anything. I even had to put my emergency on when I was literally dancing on a bridge/slope.

I'm very disappointed. I barely did 40 in 50 zone, 60 in 70/80 zones. It's not about the speed, I just wanted to drive steadily like every other car on the road (not skidding sideways).

NB: They suck on ice too.