Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Sorry, I couldn't resist stealing part of you title.

I drive a G35x and found that, even with last years snow, I was able to drive through just about anything. (the OEM tires where still brand new.)
This year I will put on a winter tire. Partly because the OEMs are a little worn now and because reduced stopping distance is obviously important.
I do 90% city driving year round. We tend to get a lot of snowfall here but most main streets are cleared within 24hrs.

My question for all of you is; what are your general opinions of performance winter tires vs. dedicated ice & snow tires. Has anyone tried both? What are the similarities and differences in performance, wear, noise and traction?
I have never had a performance car before until now so this never crossed my mind. I have always just use ice & snow tires so I know what they can do but how good are performance winter tires?
I guess I would like opinions from X drivers but all are welcome.

Examples:
Performance Winters: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, Goodyear Ultra Grip GW3
Ice & Snow: Blizzak WS-60, Dunlop Graspic DS-2, Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Thanks

Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
My WS-60s are far from 'performance' tires, but they work pretty well in the winter.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I have the same Blizzak tire as Swivelhips on my last two X's and they do the job beautifully.
They aren't a performance tire though and they are much softer and squirmier than a performance tire. The speed rating is also much lower but we should be driving slower in the cold inclement weather anyways.

I have heard many good reports on Dunlop M3 tires which are performance rated.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Now you've got me thinking about snows Paul. Thanks loads. : . But seriously, now would be a good time to start considering what you want for the winter. Last year was a bit**. The Blizzack would be my choice if I was looking. I went down to 17" for my winter set.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had pirelli 210's on my coupe and never had any problems in the snow. they are considered more of a "performance tire"... which basically just translates into a stiffer tire for everyday driving. i've got the 210 sottozero's now on my bmw ... and they handled just the same last winder.

the one thing that sucks about winter tires is that from my experience, they burn up quite fast. by my 3rd winter season i noticed a serious lack of traction on some heavier snow days... to the point where i wouldn't even drive to work. i gather i had about 20k on them... but my g's crappy alignment issues may have attributed to that as well.

like the op had mentioned... snow is 'usually' cleared off the streets by the next day... and last winter was a rough one. u've got an awd... if i was in your shoes i wouldn't even buy snow's... i would just stick to some performance all-season's. if winter tires are a necessity i would stick to the performance oriented one's as they hold better tread life.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks
^You are absolutely right..with the AWD we definitely don't have any trouble getting the car moving with all season tires...it's stopping that I'm more interested in.
Do "performance winter" tires stop a vehicle nearly as well as "ice & snow" winter tires or are they just glorified all seasons?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Thanks
^You are absolutely right..with the AWD we definitely don't have any trouble getting the car moving with all season tires...it's stopping that I'm more interested in.
Do "performance winter" tires stop a vehicle nearly as well as "ice & snow" winter tires or are they just glorified all seasons?
I think the performance winters are very close to the dedicated winters as far as ice and snow goes. THey are also more money.
Paul, with your situation I would lean towards the performance winter snow tires, just to get the benifit of stopping and steering over all seasons.
When I bought my X, I had to drive through slippery and semi closed roads for over 100 kms from the Dealers with my new X. The stock all seasons were brand new. That week I put on the winter Blizzaks and the difference was amazing. Yes the all seasons did the job, but the winters simply outperformed them more than you would ever believe.
Those new OEM All Seasons are still in bags in my basement with the original 140 kms on them.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I think the performance winters are very close to the dedicated winters as far as ice and snow goes. THey are also more money.
Paul, with your situation I would lean towards the performance winter snow tires, just to get the benifit of stopping and steering over all seasons.
When I bought my X, I had to drive through slippery and semi closed roads for over 100 kms from the Dealers with my new X. The stock all seasons were brand new. That week I put on the winter Blizzaks and the difference was amazing. Yes the all seasons did the job, but the winters simply outperformed them more than you would ever believe.
Those new OEM All Seasons are still in bags in my basement with the original 140 kms on them.
Wayne, don't let them sit too long. After seeing that old tires video, time equals wear without even using them.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Wayne, don't let them sit too long. After seeing that old tires video, time equals wear without even using them.
Thanks Deane, I saw that vid.

I have always done it. They go back on the car when I get rid of it.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Wayne.
I will look into it a bit more and try to decide if the extra money is worth it when I take into account that I usually drive alot slower around curves and turns in the winter anyway.
So many choices to make.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Thanks Deane, I saw that vid.

I have always done it. They go back on the car when I get rid of it.
You change up so often they'll get used before they're too old! Me on the other hand......

Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Thanks Wayne.
I will look into it a bit more and try to decide if the extra money is worth it when I take into account that I usually drive alot slower around curves and turns in the winter anyway.
So many choices to make.
u just gave yourself the best advice... use common sense and adapt your driving habits to the conditions around u. just b/c u get winter tires and can stop fairly quickly ... don't forget about the guy behind u. chances are he'll still have crappy tires. u'll brake late and bite down stopping well behind the person in front of u... but the guy behind u may not be so lucky. i always stop slowly on heavy snow to give the guy behind me time to react and do the same as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
u just gave yourself the best advice... use common sense and adapt your driving habits to the conditions around u. just b/c u get winter tires and can stop fairly quickly ... don't forget about the guy behind u. chances are he'll still have crappy tires. u'll brake late and bite down stopping well behind the person in front of u... but the guy behind u may not be so lucky. i always stop slowly on heavy snow to give the guy behind me time to react and do the same as well.
Good point!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by whatacar
Now you've got me thinking about snows Paul. Thanks loads. : . But seriously, now would be a good time to start considering what you want for the winter. Last year was a bit**. The Blizzack would be my choice if I was looking. I went down to 17" for my winter set.
Sooorrrry Sam.
How do you think I feel. We just started AAA hockey season. I feel like I just got of the ice and am getting right back at it without a break.
I keep telling myself...coaching is fun, coaching is fun, coaching is fun...
I'm obviously kidding. I love THE GAME.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For performance, I would definitely go with Dunlop M3s.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North