Canada Serving Canada.

Winter Tires Info - Great White North

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at Hankook W409 I*PIKE

...on Sport Edition SE-14 wheels with TPMS sensors - anyone interested in a group buy?

I've pondered this question for a long time and, while I don't want to lose handling when I put the winter tires on, the key issue to me is the ice and snow capability of the tire. So, all things considered, I think I'm going to goo with Hankook W409 I*PIKE tires. I've seen these listed as performance winters, but most of the time they're listed as regular winter tires. Even though they have a pretty aggressive tread, the noise is supposed to be moderate (for winter tires, that is...).

BTW, for my last two vehicles I kept my winters mounted on rims and, at the first sign of snow or a freezing rain warning, I run out to the garage and put them on. That usually happens some time between mid-October and early November. They're usually off by the end of March, so I'm not wearing them out by running them on smokin' hot pavement.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best winter tires

Hi,
I am trying to choose between a few options for my '03 coupe (all in 225/45/18 F and 245/45/18) for winter in Edmonton:

Bridgestone Blizzak LM25
Dunlop Wintersport M3
Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the Wintersports or the X-Ice, but I sure do love my Blizzaks.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I have run Blizzaks on my last two cars and was happy with them. Prior to that I ran Nokians and Yokohomas.

Really most makes of dedicated winter tires will work great.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Love my blizzaks.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
There's recent discussion here

....there's lots of others if you use the search button at the top.
I think a sticky on winter tires would be rather useful. I have a feeling well see more the same.

Last edited by InTgr8r; 09-18-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
done.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Winter Driving

Just thought I would add my 2 cents, which in current market conditions is probably now worth 4 cents oh wait now its only worth 1 cent. Anyway... I think it is important to determine what kind of winter driving your planing on doing. I grew up in a Northern city (read Edmonton) and did virtually 100% city driving (save a few trips to the mountains to go skiing). I never ever ran anything but all season tires. This includes on the family G which was not an X like yours. Save maybe 2 days per year there were never any problems.

Now I have been moved from a big city to a small town and conditions have changed vastly. I do tones of highway driving and totally change over my tires every year. I use a studded ice radial from Nokian now (soft tread and sipping like an ice radial plus studs, not a harder compound with studs like most), but thats not my answer for you .

What you need to consider mostly is what kind of driving and conditions you are going to face. I can tell you from experience that a dedicated ice radial is going to improve your stopping power greatly over a "performance" winter tire when it comes to real cold. Performance winter tires in my opinion are designed for more southern winters where people may get caught with the temperature below 7 degrees (Celsius) where normal all seasons turn into bricks, however people that drive on these performance winters don't want to give up the huge performance hit for the 10-12 degree range (not to mention tire wear, ice radials are SOFT) these climates often don't see snow accumulation and are often faced with slush and very few sub freezing days. I would suggest living anywhere north of the border (save maybe Vancouver and maybe some places in the East as well... I dunno) the logical choice is going to be a WINTER tire and not a winter performance.

Lastly consideration must be given to tire sizing. The majority of people recommend you downgrade tire width and increase side-wall height. Ie if your normal rim is a 235/45 18 then you should be looking to go to a 215/55 17 in a winter. This takes the float out of the package and allows it to CUT through the snow.

Again Im no expert (and there probably are some on here), but your conditions dictate your tire in extreme cold winter performance tires don't cut it.

S.Dunn

Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Necessity of winter tires? Suggestions re nice set of 17" rims?

hey all,

I live in Ontario and will soon be entering my first winter with my G. Right now I have crappy (although relatively new) all seasons on the stock rims. I am concerned that these will not be sufficient for my driving needs this winter. RWD + snow + daily driving makes this a concerning situation.

QUESTION ONE - can you get by without winter tires with a RWD G35 in toronto/hamilton areas?

QUESTION TWO - I have been looking through multiple threads, but am still looking for some suggestions on nice 17" rims that will go well with my relatively stock (including stock height) desert platinum G35 (no gunmetal rims please). My plan would be to buy some nice rims, swap my all seasons onto the new rims for next summer, and then put some reasonable winters on my stock rims.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I live near Chicago and we get a decent amount of snow. The answer to your question is yes, you can make it through a winter with RWD and A/S tires, people have for years. Our ABS, VDC, and VLSD really work hand in hand together in the snow. But depending on how much tread there is on the tires its going to probably going to be rough especially if you get alot of snow.

Snow tires just cannot compare to A/S tires. The compound is much softer and is designed for the cold and wet conditions. It really makes driving in the snow much easier and safer with common sense of course. I purchased a set of OEM 17" 6 spokes from an 03 sedan on craigslist and mounted on some 215/55/17 Blizzaks. It was probably the best money I spent and was well worth it, and will save my 18s out of the harsh weather conditions.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I tried to run my stock tires last year w/ snow and the open diff. Death sentence

Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^ +4, I think we get less snow than The Hammer but I wouldn't do without my Blizzaks in winter (again).

Old 09-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I've drove last winter with all season, it made driving a bit complicated. It is possible but really depends on the weather. I've drove during a insane snow storm up to Wegz in December, the G slid everywhere I went. Would highly recommend snow tires like everyone mention above.
Check out www.kijiji.ca and www.craigslist.org

Jeff92se, it's only a death trap if you peg the gas and late brake. or you have too much power to be winter driving

Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 PM
any suggestions on pretty 17" or 18" rims then guys (to get as a second set)?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone here run Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi winters? I'm told their grip is among the best and they have better tread life than the Blizzak WS series.

I'm now trying to decide whether they're worth an extra $180.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Info - Great White North