BILL C-568, mandatory speed limiters in vehicles by 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
I would tend to agree.
Dickweedery behind the wheel usually happens way before 150.

LOL, Ian.. the ubiquitous dickweeds.

Those guys are dangerous at any speed.....

(And "guys" is not meant to be gender spicific.....)

C.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Sorry to disagree here Garnet because 99% of the stuff I read from you I tend to agree with but...people have been killed over not paying their gambling debts and gambling has ruined many lives. Surely the numbers are no where near as many as are effected by senseless traffic accidents resulting from excessive speed and general careless driving. It could also be argued that most car accidents resulting in death occur at speeds well below 150km/hr anyway so why set the limit so darn high. If you’re going to limit it, which I think is wrong, it should be much lower.
If this bill really happens by 2010 than I can assure you it will be a car that I keep for along time to come. Of course that will likely mean our Government will force me to install an aftermarket limiter at my expense with their usually cut.
BTW…if none of us can drive more than 150 why the heck do the cops need to go faster than that…is it safe for them to drive faster than 150 on public roads?

What’s next?
I have no doubt that gambling ruins many lives each year, but I've never heard of one person's gambling addiction killing innocent people.........that's the distinction I am making. What people decide to do behind close doors is their thing, but when their poor decisions put me and my family's life at risk is where it concerns me. What speeds have the most fatalities, I have really no idea. All I know is that when I drive 110 kph home from work every day I see countless people passing me like I am standing still.......lots of them being soccer Moms in their SUVs or Minivans.

I am not FOR this bill nor AGAINST it, I am merely saying that whether it passes or not, it won't change my driving habits whatsoever.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I have no doubt that gambling ruins many lives each year, but I've never heard of one person's gambling addiction killing innocent people.........that's the distinction I am making. What people decide to do behind close doors is their thing, but when their poor decisions put me and my family's life at risk is where it concerns me. What speeds have the most fatalities, I have really no idea. All I know is that when I drive 110 kph home from work every day I see countless people passing me like I am standing still.......lots of them being soccer Moms in their SUVs or Minivans.

I am not FOR this bill nor AGAINST it, I am merely saying that whether it passes or not, it won't change my driving habits whatsoever.
Again you make a good point and clarified what you meant and you are absolutely right about the minivans. I see the same thing here all the time too. They fly by me on the 401 and I'm usually doing around 125 in the middle lane just to keep up...when its actually moving, that is. lol
We have an 07 Odyssey and I know for a fact that they don't handle as well as owners THINK they do and they take a lot longer to stop than cars like our G. I believe there is a misconception among many minivan owners and drivers that their vehicle handles like a car, partially because the manufacturers use phrases like "soul of a sports car" when marketing these things. It's truly nonsense. I like the Toyota commercial showing their Sienna racing through the desert and drifting. Is that an intelligent way to promote a FAMILY vehicle? From a marketing perspective, sure, they have appealed to a different demographic than if they just show interior space and features but IMO it's irresponsible.

BTW, to get back on topic, it's an MP for Scarborough-Agincourt that's responsible for Bill. Are you guys going to vote for him again?
http://karygiannismp.com/spip/

Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's do a Kill Bill. I seriously think big brother has gone too far. Instead of spending money on driver education and driver safety, they go after the effect and not the cause of the problem. The roads are built to handle higher speed than 100km/hr. but they don't think to address the problem - provide accessible race tracks locally so there is a place for the kids to go and do this safely and in a controlled fashion. The reason why I go the track is to test out my car's capabilities and not on the public roads. There are may things that they could do but they always choose the easy way out.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the end it comes down to business, all the exotic cars would lose their appeal. Sure, you may not go that fast, but there is appeal to knowing you can if you wanted/needed to. And 150km/hr is 50km/hr over the limit on the 401, but come on, the express lane during uncongested rush hour goes at 120 minimum, 130 is usual. In the end it's the easy way out, put a number on something. Like above, way more dangerous situations at much lower speeds than 150.
IMHO, the real problem are those driving slowly in the middle or the express lanes making everyone go around them and then it gets crazy dangerous. I'd rather see the funds go to educating those folks. In some states, you get a ticket for impeding traffic.
I'm hoping the automakers step in on this one myself.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Travellin007
IMHO, the real problem are those driving slowly in the middle or the express lanes making everyone go around them and then it gets crazy dangerous. I'd rather see the funds go to educating those folks. In some states, you get a ticket for impeding traffic.
I'm hoping the automakers step in on this one myself.
+1000 Those guys

Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
160km/h and you have a deal!!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^haha

Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck

yeah, I see it the same way.

I note the exact same thing on highways here. The worst handling / stopping vehicles are frequently the fastest ones on the road. I constantly comment on that to H when we're driving since I know the difference owning and driving a Caravan too. IMHO they are not safe at speeds above 80km/hour or so.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Money would be better spent on more mandatory driver ed. It is arguably the most important certification you can give your citizens, yet it allows such minimal hours of training.

150 kph limiter is bad, but a 100 kph maximum is even worse.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM
With/without Speedlimiter I dont really care, since I don't think I ever hit 150km/h anyways on regular driving, but it would suck on track tho if your car cant get past the 150 barrier..especially Mosport..lol

Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
No worries about this bill (or any bills currently in the house) anymore...

Harper called an election for Oct. 14th, so any bill that was not approved at the time of his election call, dies where it stands.

Now, they can re-submit it once a new GVT is formed, but for now, it's dead.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Rated M

^just my opinion but dead means gone and never to be seen again. That bill has just gone dormant for a while. It's not dead.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
It's not a big deal... if you really need to go that fast, just disable the fuel governor like we need to do.

But 150kph... isn't that less than 100mph?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
what worries me more is that it opens the door to other restrictions: ie: not modifying your ecu programming, basically, if 150 is set by law, they will want to make it illegal to change it, and knowing government, they will do so by making it illegal to modify any programming in the engine computer. basically killing a rather large industry, no? (kinda like the quebec government trying to get motorcycles off the road by making them too expensive to plate, or even have a license for, but that's another complaint)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BILL C-568, mandatory speed limiters in vehicles by 2010