Canada Serving Canada.

Flywheel Chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheel Chatter

I think I'm a victim of the dreaded flywheel chatter, just started yesterday particularly when I'm accelerating. With the clutch dis-engaged the sound disappears, not a big fan of the sound, makes it sound like a rattle-trap.
Anyone else have this annoyance? Also it makes the noise at idle but much lower sounding.
I'm gonna drive the fawker harder just to spite it.

Last edited by shilohap; 09-12-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: revision
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I'm not sure I understand when you say you hear the chatter, but I get crazy clutch chatter anytime there isn't any load on the tranny. When I'm in neutral is when it's the worst.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM
My chatter occurs under load in the driving range. Thought it might be a heat shield or something caught in the fan, but when the clutch is dis-engaged=no noise.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a weak machine gun. Like bullets bouncing on a tin roof

Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 AM
I think I confirmed that it is flywheel chatter, watch the video below that is the sound i am getting but not as severe it is very audible when I accerlerate though. You will be surprised to see what model of car is in the video.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7662952965657131155

Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shilohap
I think I'm a victim of the dreaded flywheel chatter, just started yesterday particularly when I'm accelerating. With the clutch dis-engaged the sound disappears, not a big fan of the sound, makes it sound like a rattle-trap.
Anyone else have this annoyance? Also it makes the noise at idle but much lower sounding.
I'm gonna drive the fawker harder just to spite it.
Not sure that's the best move, bro....Could be some powertrain components come loose and you wouldn't want them breaking and flying out.....could be disastrous.

Clutch, pressure plate, ring gear, clutch release bearing, even u-joints, may be the culprit.
I'd have a pro look at things ASAP.

G/L
Colin.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Not sure that's the best move, bro....Could be some powertrain components come loose and you wouldn't want them breaking and flying out.....could be disastrous.

Clutch, pressure plate, ring gear, clutch release bearing, even u-joints, may be the culprit.
I'd have a pro look at things ASAP.

G/L
Colin.
I will take your advice. I'm just pissed off right now.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM
OK chatter is usually from a lightweight flywheel very slightly being off balance, when your car is in neutral. But otherwise, I'd be worried about it being the bearing about to go out... according to the mechs I know, they've been known to go out on these cars, or maybe it was higher hp Nissans in general.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
OK chatter is usually from a lightweight flywheel very slightly being off balance, when your car is in neutral. But otherwise, I'd be worried about it being the bearing about to go out... according to the mechs I know, they've been known to go out on these cars, or maybe it was higher hp Nissans in general.
^+1
A little clatter is normal in neutral.
But clatter under load is a completely different diagnosis.

I would suspect the throwout bearing myself.
I've replaced them more than once on farm equipment, the sound is very similar.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 AM
My stock clutch was making a chatter under load, and so I decided to take apart the clutch to replace the bearing. I ended up changing out the clutch, flywheel, line... the works. From what I remember, it turns out the bearing was actually working fine, but had a bit of free movement, which I assume isn't too good either.

BTW, at least for the revups, the Nismo stainless braided clutch line is worthless... it's exactly the same as stock.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
After taking the G for another drive it is evident that the rattle\chatter is more pronounced when shifting gears....so most likely the throw bearing. Going to get my mechanic to drive it tomorrow for his opinion.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G/L getting it fixed. I don't have any better advice for you myself and support having a good tech look at it soon.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Problem Identified....
I posted this in the "G owners check your oil thread"

I found out last night that my 2004 6mt Coupe has this issue. I never thought to look at the oil as the car was mint when I bought it and I had an oil change right away on the day I bought. It had just over 100,000km. I have put about 8000km (4900 miles) on it and last night the noise was really loud as I started it up to go for a drive. I stopped immediately and shut it off.
I have a mechanic who lives two houses down and he came over to investigate. He said lets start with the simple things. Lets check the oil. We couldn't get a an accurate reading on the dipstick. We figured out the engine was almost bone dry. I was in shock. He then ran his fingers in the exhaust pipe after I told him it hasn't leaked a drop. He said he could smell the oil in the exhaust soot. I left the car exactly where I shut it off.
This morning I got 6 quarts of the Mobil synthetic and topped it up. I started it up and so far no noises. I have yet to take the car for a good drive. I consider myself lucky as the valve chatter was getting pretty intense, had the car been running regular oil I think the engine would have sustained some serious damage.
It also makes me think why the previous owner turned the car in at 100,000km. He\she probably noticed the problem and said time to get rid of it.
Moral of the story I will check my oil a hell of a lot more frequently 5.5 quarts down after 8000km or 4900 miles. I'm not used to this. I have a Mazda pick-up I have owned for 16 years and it is always rock solid between oil changes except for the last few years (259,000 miles 415,000km) and I didn't expect this from the G.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Problem Identified....

I found out last night that my 2004 6mt Coupe has this issue. I never thought to look at the oil as the car was mint when I bought it and I had an oil change right away on the day I bought. It had just over 100,000km. I have put about 8000km (4900 miles) on it and last night the noise was really loud as I started it up to go for a drive. I stopped immediately and shut it off.
I have a mechanic who lives two houses down and he came over to investigate. He said lets start with the simple things. Lets check the oil. We couldn't get a an accurate reading on the dipstick. We figured out the engine was almost bone dry. I was in shock. He then ran his fingers in the exhaust pipe after I told him it hasn't leaked a drop. He said he could smell the oil in the exhaust soot. I left the car exactly where I shut it off.
This morning I got 6 quarts of the Mobil synthetic and topped it up. I started it up and so far no noises. I have yet to take the car for a good drive. I consider myself lucky as the valve chatter was getting pretty intense, had the car been running regular oil I think the engine would have sustained some serious damage.
It also makes me think why the previous owner turned the car in at 100,000km. He\she probably noticed the problem and said time to get rid of it.
Moral of the story I will check my oil a hell of a lot more frequently 5.5 quarts down after 8000km or 4900 miles. I'm not used to this. I have a Mazda pick-up I have owned for 16 years and it is always rock solid between oil changes except for the last few years (259,000 miles 415,000km) and I didn't expect this from the G.
Just returned from a drive and running smoothly!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:14 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Problem Identified....

That's good news to ID the issue, shilohap.....Thankfully there's no apparant damage.
Now you need to check in at the dealer and fill him in on the issue so that they may do a proper consumption check for you.

If consumption is excessive, you may have a warranty claim.

G/L and keep us posted.

Colin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flywheel Chatter