Canada Serving Canada.

Do you think Toronto Police participate in racial profiling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think Toronto Police participate in racial profiling?

As the title says, do you think Toronto Police participate in racial profiling.

The reason I ask is on two occasions this week I saw a cop pull over 2 cars for no apparent reason. The first incident occurred at Markham and progress, I was in the left turn lane on progress waiting to go North on Markham Rd. across the street I saw a cop behind an older altima with new plates, it was a visible minority driving the car. As soon as the car crossed the intersections, the lights came on. From what I saw, the driver did nothing wrong.

The second occasion occurred at Middlefield and Finch. I was stopped at the intersection going North on MiddleFiled. in the southbound lane was a cop car behind an older accord, once again it was a visible minority driving the car. As soon as the light changed and the accord went through the intersection, the cop turned on the lights and pulled this car over as well.

The only conclusion I could come to is that the cops were running the plates while stopped at the intersection and something must have come up in order for them to pull those two individuals over. Maybe it was just coincidence that both cars that were pulled over had visible minorities driving them.

What are your thoughts?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Cops do profiling a lot. But not all of them.

Some are racist as well, I've dealt with those before. My friend and I were both pulled over for street racing, but we were just cruising 20 over the limit. The cop was a total asshat to me, but after talking to my friend he said the cop was actually nice to him. I'm asian and he's white. Racism? Possibly or he just didn't like me.

I've also been pulled over for the stupidiest reasons simply because the cop could not find a reason to give me ticket so they give me ticket for window too dark or noisy exhaust (on a stock exhaust, but bit high rev), and some other stupid reasons. Even my friend got a ticket for driving my car with a G1 license, when the entire time he was just a passenger, but the cop was just desperate for a ticket.

I was also considered minority, Around 18-19 during the ownership of the 350Z. This is all cop will see in their eyes: Spoiled kid driving an expensive sports car.

There are also other times where I've dealt with nice friendly cops and had no troubles at all. They just gave me warnings and let me off. (IE: Spring break and doing donuts in a parking lot, told the cop I was having fun, cop just laughed and said "boys will be boys" and gave me a warning).

It really depends on the cops, and how they profile. Over time multitude of times I've been pulled over, I've learned how to deal with it, sadly, I'm sure the other minorities may not learn this yet may make matters worse.

My current car has never given me much trouble, a 20 yr old boxy looking car, cops don't even glance at me and I have no window tint on it. But when I drove my mom's A3 out a few times, I've been pulled over. So yes, profiling does happen.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 AM
I'd be surprised if they didn't. (No I don't condone racial profiling!) At least they can profile by car. There's no doubting the visible aggressive driving antics by beater modified type cars in Scarborough though.

Lastly I think being polite goes a long way. I've been pulled over many times for minor traffic stuff, and of course they can't pull over every single car through the intersection so they pick and choose. Don't act like an ***!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
i use to always get pulled over, usually they would search and harrass me. all that ended the day i got my g

Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
here in my city which is in the states it happens so i would asume it happens in canada to only thining i can say is if it happens to you keep your mouth shut and dnt give them a reason to make it worse

this is coming from a bald headed mexican that lives in nebraska

Old 11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
"As of 2006, 46.9% of the residents of the city proper (Toronto) belong to a visible minority group..."

In my opinion, I think you are making a stink out of nothing.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by anotherOAKg
"As of 2006, 46.9% of the residents of the city proper (Toronto) belong to a visible minority group..."

In my opinion, I think you are making a stink out of nothing.
Not making a stink, just an observation that's all. Found it weird that twice in one week I saw the same thing happen to two different people. Just to clarify the visible minority I was referring to was of the African decent.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 AM
it happens.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Of course they do I have 2 friends that are cops and I bug them about it all the time. Only after a few drinks will they admit to it.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I've been pulled over twice for a "routine check". Didn't really think anything of it though. Vietnamese here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.