Canada Serving Canada.

Who wants to run laps at the track Sat. June 26?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2004 | 11:20 AM
Re: Who wants to run laps at the track Sat. June 26?

Has any one ever rented a car for a day at the track? How would that work (in terms of insurance coverage, etc. in case something happens)?

Old 06-20-2004 | 11:41 PM

I'd love to come to this but have a wedding that day. I'm really disapointed that I will not be able to make it - I went to the Ford day at Mosport this week and rode shotgun in a couple of Mustangs around that track - what a blast! I was hoping we would be getting some G's together for something like this. Next time you can count me in for sure!!!

2003 CB Coupe 5AT
ATI Procharger
Stillen Cat Back Exhaust
Eibachs
Gord G Grounding Kit

Old 06-22-2004 | 09:03 AM

Just curious, who is planning to go on Sat? I may drop by n watch how good our G can do on Shannoville [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2004 | 08:49 PM
|
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s

Blackie,
Sorry, I have no idea about taking a rental car to the track.
I figure there's probably some fine print in the rental agreement that would prohibit that.
(you'd save a lot of wear on your tires and brakes though ;-D )

However if you're going to do it, be aware that some rental car companies have GPS trackers in their cars now. So even if you didn't tell them, they might see that you went round and round for 3 hours at extremely high speed... lol

One other problem I guess is that you don't know how the car's been maintained (tires, brakes, mechanical problems etc.)

Pimpcoupe,
Aw that's too bad. I was hoping you could make it.
Okay, next time for sure!
(Mosport must have been a blast! )

Saridi,
So far there are 15 people going, 14 confirmed. At first there were supposed to be 12, then I asked if we could add a few more so there are now 15.

From G35Driver.com we have SammyJL, Blackie (in the 350Z) maybe Fluffydot who is unconfirmed but we are holding the last spot for him, and then me. So 2 (or 3) G35's and a 350Z.

The rest of the guys are from the Subaru WRX club.

If you, Wolfster or anyone else wants to join us (it's a nice 2 hour drive from central Toronto) and watch from the grandstands that would be great!

There is a set of detailed maps that Kevin from the WRX group has posted somewhere... I will look for it and post the link as soon as I find it.

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-22-2004 | 10:21 PM
|

Here's the link for Kevin's WRX-STi group's page which gives details for saturday's track day...

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/sti_sobalo/index.htm">Maps and Info for Shannonville Track Day June 26th</A>

Blackie and anyone else going... please meet Kevin's group at the Kennedy Commons AMC Theatre at 3:00 -3:15pm and say you're with Kyle from G35Driver. I probably won't be there (Kevin knows that, and we have permission to miss the track rules if we come late).

You and the group will drive to Shannonville together, but Sammy and I will come later and meet you all at the track, hopefully by 6:00pm.
(to save time I am going to help him swap tires at 3:30 or so... I'll let Sammy tell you why! ;-)

Good idea to give your tires a good inspection, check your tire pressures with a good gauge -- 34-36 psi all round for the coupes (before heating up), although some people like running a few psi higher on the track -- and maybe fill up with Sunoco 94 so that you have the highest octane. There's a Sunoco right by Shannonville so you can put more in once we get there -- the location is marked on the map.

Also, don't forget to get rid of any unnecessary weight from the car!

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-23-2004 | 10:25 PM

Probably I will join you guys at Shanoville there at 6pm. I would like to try out the track too, but seems there is no more space for me.... [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] Anyways, see you guys there [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Saridi on 06/23/04 07:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-25-2004 | 09:31 PM
|

See you there!
For anyone else who wants to come out to watch, either meet at AMC Theaters Kennedy and 401 (see map in link on this thread) at 3:00pm Saturday June 26th,
or meet right at Shannonville track at 5:30-6:00pm (see map).

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 07-16-2004 | 12:35 AM

Mamma Mia we all want to become race car drivers now with our G35c's. Honestly, its not something I would take part in..no interest..no need..Im not a racer..I bought the car for its beauty, its performance, its ability to to drive me from places with class ofcourse..I dont take my car so seriosly that I am nt going to be racing it on a track..and than run in to trouble..

Old 07-16-2004 | 09:30 AM

Guy...the track is not for the purpose of us becoming race car drivers. It's for the purpose of getting to know the limits of your car in a controlled safe environment and not on the streets. Whether it's summer or winter driving, you can manage a situation much better when you know what the capabilities of your car. And it's those few seconds of reaction time that might make all the difference.

G35 Coupe 6MT Brilliant Silver
Tinted Windows
7 -Wire Hyper Ground System
Hyper Voltage System
Aluminum Pedals
Complete Front-end Clear Bra

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:01 AM

Amen to that. I couldn't have said it better myself. This guy just seems to be miserable today.

I went to that track day at Shannonville and had a blast. I learned so much about my car just from driving on the track. I would recommend it to everyone.

Silverstone 6MT Maya DTM 20's Greddy Twin Turbo

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:47 PM
|

Sammy,

Yes that was a blast and I really learned a lot about my car, how it handles at the limit, and I got to practice my heel n' toe. It was also great to hang with you all and have a fun dinner with you and your wife and the others. An awesome day!!

Kevin recently emailed me some video clips of our track day... I'll forward to you and try to post some clips here.
I was too busy having fun to take too many pictures, but I'll post what I have.

The next Shannonville track day is Saturday August 28th (again on Nelson Circuit).

Can't wait!

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:55 PM
|

Hope this link works...

<A HREF="http://www.subarism.com/gallery/Track%20day%20040626/Clement25RS-1.wmv">short clip Shannonville Track day</A>

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:01 PM
|

Sorry about the poor video quality!

Here is Sammy's Twin Turbo (with Colin riding shotgun) and Marta who was very smooth in the corners with her 350Z ;-)

<A HREF="http://www.subarism.com/gallery/Track%20day%20040626/G35-350Z-1.wmv">G and Z Shannonville Track day</A>

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:29 PM
|

Last clip.
Not sure if this is me or Sammy in the silverstone G, but it sounds like his GReddy exhaust to me.

I have newfound respect for the WRX's. They don't even break a sweat in the corners with their AWD and autocross tuned suspension.
...and they are fast, especially the STi.
Still, Sammy's GReddy TT'd G was hands-down the fastest car in the straights.

Both Sammy and I ran without VDC by the end of the session and we were both able to break rear traction and drift the car on turn 1 (a long right sweeper at the end of the straight that allows you to carry much speed).

<A HREF="http://www.subarism.com/gallery/Track%20day%20040626/G35-25RS-WRX.wmv">WRX's and G35 Shannonville Track day</A>

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:44 PM
|

One more.
Forget the guy's name, but before we got the track there was a motorcycle event at Shannonville and several of the motorcycle racers hung around to watch us. Later they gave us some tips on what lines to take and where to apex etc.

Well one girl who races motorcycles asked to ride with me so I took her out for several laps. She said she was amazed at how well our big G35's handle in the corners and how fast they are, without much modification.

One of the motorcycle guys couldn't just sit and watch, so he and his buddy got in their stock Honda Civic, signed the waivers, paid the fee and came out onto the track. He did pretty well, which goes to show that a good driver can make an average car go fast! But eventually I caught him and the G passed him, hehe...

<A HREF="http://www.subarism.com/gallery/Track%20day%20040626/350Zcivic.wmv">stock Civic and Blackie's 350Z</A>

Gotta watch your back with that spunky little mini Cooper S filling the rearview ;-)
<A HREF="http://www.subarism.com/gallery/Track%20day%20040626/350ZG35WRXCooperS-2.wmv">cars - Shannonville Track day</A>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who wants to run laps at the track Sat. June 26?