Canada Serving Canada.

Gas tank problem with a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like service bulletin ITB08-041a, attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ITB08-041a.pdf (216.9 KB, 641 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn me for not having a warranty

Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
That's why I don't think that TSB applies to me. My tank fills all the way up to the point of splashing out, but I only get 3/4 of a tank.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayner9
It is full to the top. The last two times I tried slowly filling it up, but it started splashing out. The most it will take is 50 litres, and that's after the light was on for 10-15 miles. I'm stumped.
You're assuming that when the light comes, that it's low on fuel -- ie - only a few liters left.
What I'm saying is that it has more than that in it and actually has 1/4.

As you say, "it only with take 50 liters....."
That tells me that there must be 20 odd liters left in the tank despite what the gauge says.......no?

C.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
You're assuming that when the light comes, that it's low on fuel -- ie - only a few liters left.
What I'm saying is that it has more than that in it and actually has 1/4.

As you say, "it only with take 50 liters....."
That tells me that there must be 20 odd liters left in the tank despite what the gauge says.......no?

C.
Is it that or is the 'flapper' closing and not allowing that last 1/8 of a tank? I'm scurred to run it with the empty light on for 200k to see what happens.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it is the sensor because I have the same issue. When I fill up all the way the gauge will show full, but after driving for a while it can fluctuate down a quarter tank. I usually get around 400km per tank due to my short distance all city driving (only about 6km to work). So each quarter tank is about 100km and I reset the trip counter every time I fill up. The problem is especailly noticible if I fill up just half a tank. After driving for about 100km, I start up the the car and the gauge will show empty. If I drive it around the gauge may come back up.
If it is of any significance, I've been using Sunoco Ultra 94 ever since I got the car, and have only filled up at Shell a handfull of times.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
i filled up gas right to the top with a tiny bit of overflow, (Shell V-Power Premium Gas), the guage stayed at Full for awhile, i think if you pull the nozzle out a bit it helps when filling the top part of the tank...

Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Is it that or is the 'flapper' closing and not allowing that last 1/8 of a tank? I'm scurred to run it with the empty light on for 200k to see what happens.
I've had a flapper valve fail on another car one time and the gas would slowly seep down anyway allowing a complete fill (tho slow)...
It was a pain to fill that car (a Ford Contour) but I got a 'feel' for its filling and can say that it did fill with a faulty flapper valve.
(it was subsequently repaired with a new valve).

BTW Wayne..By accident I did run my Coupe's fuel level down over 100km below the low-fuel light-on level (when the gauge was registering properly).
I can tell you I was pretty "scurred" by the time I made it to the filling station....and quite amazed that I could go that far.
It took over 70 liters to fill and must have been all but empty. I wouldn't recomment doing it.

My best guess is that the OP's tank is full but not showing full and still has considerable gas in the tank while showing almost empty-- due to a faulty sending unit/fuel sensor .

Cheers,
Colin

Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking of putting a gas can in my car, and seeing how far I can go when the light comes on. I don't want to run out though because it's bad for the engine. Will the coupe start OK if you run out of gas, then put in one gallon or so?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
our cars have a humped gas tank with a siphon tube. Its humped over the drive shaft, sometimes the gas doesn't siphon over the the drivers side of the tank, while leaving the passanger side full...

did I explain that right? it sounds clear in my head, but not always on paper

Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
My best guess is that the OP's tank is full but not showing full and still has considerable gas in the tank while showing almost empty-- due to a faulty sending unit/fuel sensor .

Cheers,
Colin
That's basically how my '95 Nissan truck worked. When it was new, the needle would register above full on a fillup and the low fuel light would come on with about two gallons left.

After about a year, it changed to not quite registering completely full, and would be showing 3/4 tank with only about 30-40 miles driven. The low fuel light quit working about the same time. When the gauge was on empty, I could only get 12 gallons in meaning there were still 4 gallons remaining instead of 2 . It acted consistently so I knew how to deal with it. It didn't have any flap or filling issues though.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by baileyrx
did I explain that right? it sounds clear in my head, but not always on paper
Works for me!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I checked with a local dealership about the problem. He said if it's the sensors (we have two in our cars) it'll be about $550US. If it's only one of them, subtract $100US.

This is if you car isn't still under warranty, of course. Just a heads up

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I've had a flapper valve fail on another car one time and the gas would slowly seep down anyway allowing a complete fill (tho slow)...
It was a pain to fill that car (a Ford Contour) but I got a 'feel' for its filling and can say that it did fill with a faulty flapper valve.
(it was subsequently repaired with a new valve).

BTW Wayne..By accident I did run my Coupe's fuel level down over 100km below the low-fuel light-on level (when the gauge was registering properly).
I can tell you I was pretty "scurred" by the time I made it to the filling station....and quite amazed that I could go that far.
It took over 70 liters to fill and must have been all but empty. I wouldn't recomment doing it.

Cheers,
Colin
Too funny, Colin, my last car was a Contour. I got a job on a Thursday and had to have a car for Monday, so I grabbed the second one I drove. I came to like that little car, very 'huckable'. But I don't think I had that problem.

Before this problem arose, I could put 70 litres in, too, but no longer, even if it's running on fumes (or tells me it is).

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I've noticed that after I fill up. The top half of my gas gauge seems to fall pretty quick with very little km's. Am I on glue?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas tank problem with a twist