Canada Serving Canada.

What A Surprise!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:33 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
Unhappy What A Surprise!

Imagine that, we got hit with another major snow storm over night and it's still snowing. I am not sure what the actual number is, but we received a minimum of 30 cms. We also got another 25cms on Saturday.

This has been the worst winter (and I thought last years was bad) I can remember in a long time. Deane was supposed to get hit pretty hard with this same storm as well.

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:38 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
This has been the worst winter (and I thought last years was bad) I can remember in a long time
^ It sure is Shane....
On top of this crappy weather, we aren't able to get away like we were hoping. (just bad timing)

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:43 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
let's see some pictures.

Old 02-04-2009 | 07:50 AM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Imagine that, we got hit with another major snow storm over night and it's still snowing. I am not sure what the actual number is, but we received a minimum of 30 cms. We also got another 25cms on Saturday.

This has been the worst winter (and I thought last years was bad) I can remember in a long time. Deane was supposed to get hit pretty hard with this same storm as well.
Wow, Shane....just what you need after all the snow you've already had.
We've had more snow this year and it's been colder than normal but it's not been as bad as down your way....

I sure hope it improves soon for you folks. You guys need a break...
Let's pray for an early spring too altho Shubenacadie Sam and our Wiarton Willie seem to favour 6 more weeks of winterlike weather...

Hang in there bro.....brighter days are ahead....

Be safe
Colin.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:03 AM
That really sucks, Shane. It sounds a lot like the winter we had last year.

I hear there's not much snow in Jamaica lately - maybe you should consider going there.

Now I've done it. I'm going to be in a "I need a vacation soooooo bad..." funk for the rest of the day.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:05 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Coach

I hear there's not much snow in Jamaica lately - maybe you should consider going there.

Now I've done it. I'm going to be in a "I need a vacation soooooo bad..." funk for the rest of the day.
...too late, I've been there since last week & counting.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:08 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
I was wondering who would be the first to make this kind of post! I can empathize Shane. H didn't mind being off for school She's had 4.5 snow days so far. Last year they had 8.

Yeah, it's been tough this year. We averaged nearly 6 degrees C colder than normal in January, precipitation has been really bad too. And Feb has been harsh so far too. What scares me is my folks are going south for 5-6 weeks probably tomorrow. They always seem to be away vacationing when the worst storms like Hurricane Juan and White Juan hit!

I don't know the official amounts but ours didn't amount to as much as forecast. I would estimate about 15 cms yesterday and 10cm on Saturday but the real story was the freezing rain and ice pellets that went on for about 10 hours. That made for some interesting snow blowing last night and again this morning. It was also very noisy in the house last night with the ice pellets blasting again the large windows we have on the front of the house. They're still over half ice covered I guess partly thanks to the low E argon gas.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:36 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
I was wondering who would be the first to make this kind of post! I can empathize Shane. H didn't mind being off for school She's had 4.5 snow days so far. Last year they had 8.

Yeah, it's been tough this year. We averaged nearly 6 degrees C colder than normal in January, precipitation has been really bad too. And Feb has been harsh so far too. What scares me is my folks are going south for 5-6 weeks probably tomorrow. They always seem to be away vacationing when the worst storms like Hurricane Juan and White Juan hit!

I don't know the official amounts but ours didn't amount to as much as forecast. I would estimate about 15 cms yesterday and 10cm on Saturday but the real story was the freezing rain and ice pellets that went on for about 10 hours. That made for some interesting snow blowing last night and again this morning. It was also very noisy in the house last night with the ice pellets blasting again the large windows we have on the front of the house. They're still over half ice covered I guess partly thanks to the low E argon gas.
Thankfully, all we got was snow. We've had a few storms this year that ended in freezing rain and rain and it's not fun and creates such a mess. I'd rather have 30 cms of snow than 15 cms of snow followed by freezing rain and rain.

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:37 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Coach

No snow in Jamaica eh? I just might have to go there soon!

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:45 AM
The goblin resurrection
Premier Member
Wow, guys I feel for you. I have been seeing a lot of this on the weather stations. I cant really understand what it must be like. It is even cold here today it was about 55 when I woke up.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:24 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Thankfully, all we got was snow. We've had a few storms this year that ended in freezing rain and rain and it's not fun and creates such a mess. I'd rather have 30 cms of snow than 15 cms of snow followed by freezing rain and rain.
It seems we're getting used to that kind of pattern.

Let's hope for a long mild spell.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:55 AM
There's signs of improvement in the west. We hit 10 degrees here in greater Vancouver yesterday. I even went to the range with my little guy and hit some range *****. Hopefully some of it blows your way soon.

Old 02-04-2009 | 02:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
Hard to imagine a winter consistently worse than last year. Bummer.

Old 02-04-2009 | 03:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Picus
Hard to imagine a winter consistently worse than last year. Bummer.
+1....
who would a thunk it.