Canada Serving Canada.

Summer Tires in the Great White North

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Tires in the Great White North

I'm planning on buying summer performance tires for the first time (I run Blizzaks in the winter). Since most reviews for summer tires are performed in warmer climates (ie. California), I thought that I would see what other Canadians recommend.

I've heard that some tires lose their grip around 10C. Since a lot of Calgary nights go down to this temp in the summer is this something that I have to worry about with summer tires?

Here are the three that I am currently considering:
- Yokohama s.drive
- Falken 452
- Kumho Ecsta SPT

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 AM
I think it is more like 6 or 7 celcius is about as low as you want to go on summer rubber. But if it goes a little lower than that once in a while you should still be ok as long as you aren't trying to tear up the roads. keep to the speed limits and you should be fine.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/review...surveyComments
I found this helpful. I use the pilot sports and like em.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
So what unofficial date does everybody start switching from their winter tires to summers (May 1, May long weekend.....)?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I was driving my pilot sports into december when the roads were still clear. I had no issues when the temperatures were getting low, I just watched my throttle and it was fine. I am bringing my car out in the beginning of april and figure the tires should be fine then with the daily temperatures getting a bit higher now, but for switching over, may would probably be your best bet as we will likely still get some snow before then.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I am currently using Falken FK-452's for the summer, I generally run them from mid April to about November, once the weather starts to consistently stay in the single digits for the daytime high.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the Falken 452's I find they are very common not only on our cars

Also if you ever need one say you get a flat/damage, it would be alot easier to find a used one, I was going to get Nitto's but as they are rare it would be difficult finding a replacement if I ever needed one.

Like knight said if you stick to the conditions and are not doing 250km/h you'll be fine (I don't know about you guys but since that guy got caught I feel our cars are finally getting the performance respect it deserves)

Back on topic, for me I want to change to my summer rims NOW but with salty roads I don't want to ruin the finish on my wheels and who knows how many pot holes are going to emerge this season

Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
be my yoko ono

I had s.drives on my cl-s, and ran them into december they were great, quality tires, but i am not sure how the rwd will be treating them, I am also looking for new tires this summer, and I am probably going to pick up so more s.drives. I am a spirited driver and in 5 months i ran them about 15K, intial tread depth was 10, they now read 8,8,7,7.. meaning they still go quite a bit of life.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM
How are you guys finding the tread wear and noise on the Falken 452's?

I won't be tracking my car just driving it 90km round trip each day to work so I want a decent life span out of the tires. I also want to find a tire that also doesn't make too much noise since I'm in my car way too much.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by artec
I had s.drives on my cl-s, and ran them into december they were great, quality tires, but i am not sure how the rwd will be treating them, I am also looking for new tires this summer, and I am probably going to pick up so more s.drives. I am a spirited driver and in 5 months i ran them about 15K, intial tread depth was 10, they now read 8,8,7,7.. meaning they still go quite a bit of life.
Thanks for the update on treadwear. That's the one variable of the s.drives that I was worried about the most.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
You guys will proabably laugh at me for this.

When I first moved to Calgary from Regina in my turbo del sol I only had my Dunlop Direzza DZ101 Tires. As you know these are high performance summer tires that proceed to turn into bricks in winter.

I drove 2 complete winters with these summer tires on and although starting and hill climbing was a serious bitch... I managed it without crashing or hitting anyone or anything.

However!! I have to say that the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 Tires were like glue in the warm weather and I highly reccomend them to anyone looking.

OH AND the most important feature! They have a rubber lip that protects your rims if you ever get too close to the curb (assuming your not a total parking noob). I never road rashed my rims ones with those tires.

Later

Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I drive on Federal summer tires nice tread design and grip and I am quite satisfied with them. Looking to buy Falken's next.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
i've decided on the Kumho Ecsta SPT KU-31s and will be ordering them within a day or two. Planning on having them on by next weekend!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Canuck
So what unofficial date does everybody start switching from their winter tires to summers (May 1, May long weekend.....)?
Mid-April to May for me, usually.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I've always heard Falken's are great all around, tread wear, noise, handling......

For Ontario people, think it's too soon to switch this weekend??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Summer Tires in the Great White North