Canada Serving Canada.

Newest New Guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009 | 12:10 PM
|
Newest New Guy

Hey there,

I am from Belleville, Ontario and am picking up a 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT tomorrow and am pretty excited. I've never owned an Infiniti or a coupe so it should be great.

From test driving a few of the cars and reading forums, the consensus is that the stock stereo is pretty average. I am not a sound tech or musician or anything but I would like to improve the sound quality. I don't want to put anything in the trunk that will take up what little space there is and I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like to hook up my iPod. Is this asking too much? How can I get the most bang for the least buck?

Also, there are dozens of little stone chips below the grill so I'm going to get the front re-painted and put on a 3M Clear Bra (after waiting 4 or 5 days). Can anyone recommend someone in the Kingston to Cobourg corridor or will I have to go to the GTA to have this done?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 04-02-2009 | 12:17 PM
Welcome!
I have a double din installed on mine with an ipod connector, usb and all that jazz... That was cash well spent since my sedan has no nav.
I only know places in GTA who could do the paint job for you... sorry.

Old 04-02-2009 | 01:15 PM
Welcome aboard Steve.

Sorry to hear that you like the habs....we can't help you in that department

If you want to spend a little $$ for some good sound, you could ditch the head unit first of all and upgrade the speakers and maybe add a small amp. There are subs out there that will def help out....maybe something in the 8" department. The box would be very small, not taking up much trunk space.

I'm running a 10" Boston G5 in the trunk. The box is only 1cu/ft in size which is very small for a 10" sub. Unfortunately the G5 is discontinued.

Everything really depends upon your budget as to what you can do.
Check out the marketplace for used audio equipment. There are some good deals out there to be had.

As for the clear bra, I do not know of anyone out your way.

Regards,

B

Old 04-02-2009 | 01:15 PM
Typically after a re-paint you should wait about 30 days for the paint to cure before applying the 3M Clear bra. Waiting 4-5 days will not be sufficient time for the new paint to set. This is what I have been told by most body shops

Old 04-02-2009 | 01:37 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Welcome to 'Driver Steve.

try sending a PM to:
Dubbletrubble (Matt) - 03 Sedan (Kingston)

He's in the insurance business in your area, & will likely have a few good contacts.

Old 04-02-2009 | 05:02 PM
Welcome to driver Steve and congrats on your new to you Coupe. As Ian said get hold of Dubbletrubble he is a great guy (he owns a nice looking doggie door Emerald Mist Sedan), he should be able to help you out.

Old 04-02-2009 | 05:04 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Welcome habsfan and congrats on the '04. I agree on the paint curing longer.

Old 04-02-2009 | 07:47 PM
|
Thanks very much for the welcome. Looks like I'll have to wait until Saturday to pick up my G as the guy I'm buying it from is really dragging his feet. We confirmed the deal on Monday and he still doesn't have it safetied! I'm trying not to be impatient but am really excited to get it.

I talked to a guy at Krown Lakeshore and he said if the paint job is done properly then 4 or 5 days is sufficient to wait before I put the bra on. Its better to be safe than sorry, though. The only thing I worry about is getting more stone chips on the car after the paint job and before the bra goes on.

I contacted Dubbletrubble as suggested so look forward to hearing what he has to say. I may have to expand my search for 3M Clear Bras to Oshawa/Whitby/Ajax area if Kingston holds no pros.

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 04-02-2009 | 09:27 PM
Hey Steve,

If this is the same Krown on Lakeshore that serviced my previous car a few years back, I would not trust those tools for any type of service. In a nutshell, I went in to change a windshield, they ended up causing some damage on my car and would not own up to it.

Regardless if the paint job is done correctly or not has no relevance on the curing time. A fresh paint job definitely needs more then 4-5 days to cure. The only thing that may affect the curing time is the environment that the car is in, if the car sits in cooler weather then the paint may take longer to cure Vs. if the car is constantly sitting in the sun.

In the end, the choice is up to you. But I would definitely not take the car to Krown Lakeshore.

If you are looking for a 3M guy call Marco from Advanced Mobile Group (519) 903-0430 www.advancedmobilegroup.com does excellent work and can come to your location.

Last edited by Gordon; 04-02-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 04-02-2009 | 09:41 PM
Welcome aboard Steve. Can't say as I blame the guy for dragging his feet with the sale. Love driving the G. I'd have to agree with Gordon, paint needs more than 4/5 days to cure before you can safely put the bra on. Gonna make it to the Detailing meet? that's a nice drive down from where you are. Matt came to our last one a couple of years back. Maybe with some urging he'll come out again.

Old 04-03-2009 | 06:45 PM
hmmm... you may want to get it saftied by a compentent mechanic you trust and you know is reliable... this guy may be taking it from place to place and can't get it saftied... be safe in the purchase... im right down the road from you in cobourg

Old 04-03-2009 | 08:08 PM
|
Wow, this is all superb advice, thanks a million.

I think the guy I'm buying the car from is legit but just one of those super laidback people who aren't really in a hurry to get stuff done. The safety has now been completed so I'm going to TO tomorrow to pick it up.

I'll be getting the front painted Monday and then wait a month to get the 3M bra put on.
Of course I'm worried about getting more stone chips in the month I am waiting...

I think I'm going to replace the stereo head unit with an Alpine IDA-X305 or its brother the IDA-X303. They appear to be updated models of the IDA-X100, which seemed to be pretty good. If anyone has experience with any of these products or a better recommendation I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks and hope to see you out there.
Steve

Old 04-03-2009 | 08:50 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Habsfan
Hey there,

I am from Belleville, Ontario and am picking up a 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT tomorrow and am pretty excited. I've never owned an Infiniti or a coupe so it should be great.

From test driving a few of the cars and reading forums, the consensus is that the stock stereo is pretty average. I am not a sound tech or musician or anything but I would like to improve the sound quality. I don't want to put anything in the trunk that will take up what little space there is and I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like to hook up my iPod. Is this asking too much? How can I get the most bang for the least buck?

Also, there are dozens of little stone chips below the grill so I'm going to get the front re-painted and put on a 3M Clear Bra (after waiting 4 or 5 days). Can anyone recommend someone in the Kingston to Cobourg corridor or will I have to go to the GTA to have this done?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve
Welcome, Steve.....glad to have you along.
I'm also a Habs fan, tho they're in some disarray lately, I hope they pull it together for the playoffs....

Cheers
Colin.

Old 04-12-2009 | 08:16 AM
Hey guys
Sorry about not being on very much, things have been very busy at work.
I just took over managing the Kingston and Belleville Allstate Insurance offices and things have now hit warp speed.
I would love to hit one of the meets this summer, just keep me in the loop.
I pm'd Steve and have a great shop in Kingston that can do the clear bra.
I will talk to you soon.
oh yeah, Wayne, it is an 03.5 so no doggy door. hahahaha
Happy Easter boys
Matt