Canada Serving Canada.

Oil and filters are in, time for some DIY!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I have that same pump... it works great but it still sucks... it's still too big and the hose that comes with it is too short - only about twice the length of the pump itself. Go find a longer replacement hose at the least before you attempt to change the diff fluid.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by maxideus
Are there local places in Calgary that carry Amsoil??? Mopac only carried Red Line and Royal Purple...I put the purple in my G
Isn't Amsoil from Canada???

Warning: change that Royal Purple out fast! The stuff just isn't good... might as well have mystery oil in your motor instead. If you don't know what that is...

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

No joke, the stuff is crazy. I just wouldn't run it in a good motor...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu

Warning: change that Royal Purple out fast! The stuff just isn't good... might as well have mystery oil in your motor instead. If you don't know what that is...

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

No joke, the stuff is crazy. I just wouldn't run it in a good motor...
Hmm, I didn't really sift through the MMO website, although I could tell it's satire from the name and your response...I always thought that RP had a good reputation...I never knew it had such a bad stigma attached? In fact, I usually associate RP with better stuff like Red Line?

I already spent $60 on the oil, so I'll keep driving for a couple of days to see if I notice anything peculiar. Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Nope, Superior Wisconsin. Okay, it might as well be Canada. Not that we want Wisconsin. We'll take Alaska, though. And Hawaii.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Finally got around to changing the diff oil. Both plugs came out easily, which is good, and the oil that came out was quite clean. Makes me think it was serviced not too long before I bought it. Oh well, now I know it has the good stuff in it!!

Here's how it went.

A 10mm hex key is essential equipment here, and it's smart to take the top one out first. If you get the bottom one out, drain the oil, then can't get the top one out, you can't fill the diff and you are sort of f0rnicated.

Here's the magnetic plug; it was amazingly free of gunk and metal bits. Just needed a wipe.

Now for the refill:

I found the pump worked very well, and had lotsa hose. Just have to be sure to put the right little extension hose on the bottom of it to reach the bottom of your container and get all the oil out. It comes with three lengths.

Quick, easy job, even for me.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Good stuff Wayne.
The lube must have been changed at some point for the plug to be so clean.
I remember when I changed mine it was nasty with grey goop.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
It did have a certain amount of grey goop as you can see from the pic, but not a tonne.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 PM
That gear oil sure did smell up my garage, though, I could still smell it this morning. I knew what it was like having worked with it from time to time over the years, and it doesn't exactly smell bad, just sorta strong and different.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Good stuff Wayne.
The lube must have been changed at some point for the plug to be so clean.
I remember when I changed mine it was nasty with grey goop.
+1

Mine too.

Wayne's has definitely been changed. There is gunk on it now but nothing at all like the first replacement normally.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Holy crap these guys are fast!

I ordered a case of ASL 5W30 oil and a couple Wix filters -- one for the car and one for my wife's SUV -- yesterday afternoon. It arrived this morning. Warehouse is in Edmonton, 300km away, so to me that's pretty damn impressive.

This time I bought the less-expensive oil (I was running 0W30 Signature previously) and filters (went from Amsoil to Wix) just because I think they're a bit of overkill for my application. Plus I enjoy changing my oil and don't mind doing it more than once a year! I have about 11,000km on this oil, and though I opted not to go to the expense of a UOA as yet, I might still do that.

Just looking at those old pics...I've done some work since then. My sway bars are now red and that giant suitcase of a midpipe is gone, among other little changes.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome, thanks a lot for sharing your DIY. I'm about ready to do the same. 75, 90 wieght Amsoil severe gear, got it. Should I worry about getting the right torque back on the differential drain plug nuts or is that over doing it? Do i really need a torque wrench or can i just tighten the sucker? Was that two quarts enough and how bad did the used differential fluid look compared to the new stuff? Did it look thick and gooey? The stuff on the plug looks horrible.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM
IMO torquing the plugs is a bit ****-retentive, however you DO want them to stay in and you DO want to be able to get them out next time, so if you have a Tq wrench handy, might as well use it. Diff takes 1.5 qts so 2 qts will do fine considering you may not be able to get it all out with the pump.

BTW, my drain plug was CLEAN compared to most, be prepared to see lots of goop, but dont' worry, that means it's doing its job. If it's covered in metal shavings, then you have trouble.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
swivel, do you own an 05-06? your grill is an 05-06 grill but your front bumper in your avatar is an 03-04?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM
2003.0 from stem to stern afaik, David.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^ wait nvm. my bad. thats on 03-04 grill

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil and filters are in, time for some DIY!!!